The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to install my Protech double-adjustable setup the other weekend and I thought I'd share some tidbits with the group.

The kit comes with the dampers, springs, collars, brass spacers, and dust covers. I also bought a complete set of poly bushes as well since I figured I might as well replace those while I had it all apart.

On the rear, there was a little interference between the edge of the damper body and the hub carrier, but this was easily addressed by adding another couple washers as a spacer. It all fit together nicely (with the caveat of adding the washers) and I oriented the dampers to put the adjustment knobs inboard since the access to them would be easier (looks like it would work fine to orient them outboard too if that's your preference). I had to disassemble this once after tightening to spec to add a second washer because I wasn't happy with the clearance and I found that once tightened the brass spacers seem to deform slightly and bind to the bolt running through (even though it was lubricated with copper grease beforehand). It's not a problem but something to be aware of so you're not surprised if it slips together really easy but is a little harder to slip apart.

On the front the dampers must be oriented with the adjustment knobs outboard (toward the wheel) in order for the adjustment knobs to not interfere with the lower control arm. This makes access for adjustment a little more cumbersome but is not a big deal. Again, it all seemed to slip together perfectly and I didn't have any troubles with clearances or interference on the fronts.

When I removed the rear bushes I was surprised at how deformed and oblong most of them were even though my car only has 11k miles on it. When replacing the rear dampers it's really easy to replace the bushes at the same time (except for the radius arm bushing which I haven't figured out an easy way to replace yet and will do when I have reason to dig into that area). Note that some of the bushes have their lip torn off as a result of pressing them out of the control arms and is not representative of what they looked like in place.

I'm overall very pleased with the setup and feel it's a good value. I have had one track day on the setup where I used most of my runs to dial things in and I'll be continuing to fine tune for a little while (there is an infinite number of ways to make your car handle poorly with adjustable setups).

Hope someone finds this info helpful.

Knut

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
What was your reasoning on selecting the Protech over the FE setup from Lotus, price?

Your rear bushing look beter than most for 11K miles!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was your reasoning on selecting the Protech over the FE setup from Lotus, price? <snip>
There were several factors I considered and while I feel the Protech setup seems like a good value, the cost was not the only or primary consideration.

Suspension tuning is a game of tradeoffs and I wanted the latitude to make some of my own tradeoffs for the kind of driving and type of track I run at. I also wanted the option of being able to run a different configuration at the track than I do for daily driving. Finally, the engineer in me enjoys the work invoved in trying to optimize the setup for my own use and doing some tweaking is just part of the fun.

I expect it will be a lot of tweaking to get to the point where it is dialed in really well and in the process I'll have a couple configrations that are pretty crummy (I spun out while making adjustments at the track a couple weeks ago).

Knut

·
Registered
860 Posts
I see you went with the SJS purple poly suspension bushings. Did you find that they are wider than the stock bushings? I had a hell of a time getting everything back together with the stock (thick) bushing washers. I was thinking of finding some thinner bushing washers. I think the stock washers with the wider poly bushings are pustting too much compessive load on the poly bushings........might make them bind.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Another side note: I am impressed you are regularly tracking the car with stock cats. Do they just look stock or did you have them de-cored?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see you went with the SJS purple poly suspension bushings. Did you find that they are wider than the stock bushings? I had a hell of a time getting everything back together with the stock (thick) bushing washers. I was thinking of finding some thinner bushing washers. I think the stock washers with the wider poly bushings are pustting too much compessive load on the poly bushings........might make them bind.
I had no trouble with the SJS purple bushings in the rear at all. For the mounts on the frame, the setup crushes inward a little and pinches the bushing when torqued to spec, so when I disassembled I gently pried the ears apart slightly to ease assembly later. On the hub there is a sliding sleeve pressed into the carrier that I slid out slightly for clearance before re-assembly (it also pinches the bushing when torqued).

Knut

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another side note: I am impressed you are regularly tracking the car with stock cats. Do they just look stock or did you have them de-cored?
Those are indeed stock cats. The track I run at I'm at WOT for about two thirds of the lap and either braking or at maintenance throttle for the other third (it's a road course with 12 turns and two straightaways). I'm running the hi-torque ECU firmware from Lotus.

Knut

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
That is a testament that the cats aren't as weak as some would lead us to believe.

My guess is that cars with early cat failures had some other issue that burned them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts