The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
yeah, you are obviously genius if you are smart enough to skip doing a 45 minute online IQ test. +150
asking for a cliffs notes version -10

Your IQ = 140.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Quick, somebody sound the NERD ALERT

Here's the Cliffs Notes:

1. nothing
2. T
3. First
4. 5
5. anchor
6. thursday
7. water
8. 2
9. 6
10. Gregory
11. 999
12. 3
13. 2
14. mother
15. maid
16. m
17. e
18. 13
19. 28
20. everest
21. 25
22. August
23. 8000
24. 35
25. 59

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I'll do it when I have time; however, I have very little faith in a 'test' in which the 'How to Play' section reads thusly: "On the left you can see how much chances you have:" Perhaps that's part of the 'test' :D, but I would have probably used the word 'many' as opposed to 'much'. I also love this one: "...and they deppend [sic] from it's [sic] hardness." It goes on, but I can only assume (hope?) that the author speaks English as a second language.

And, then again, even if one gets the correct answer, in what way did one prove one's logic? I would think that would be better demonstrated in the form of a debate.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have very little faith in a 'test' in which the 'How to Play' section reads thusly: "On the left you can see how much chances you have:"

American Heritage Dictionary said:
Thusly was introduced in the 19th century as an alternative to thus in sentences such as Hold it thus or He put it thus. It appears to have first been used by humorists, who may have been echoing the speech of poorly educated people straining to sound stylish. The word has subsequently gained some currency in educated usage, but it is still often regarded as incorrect.
ZING

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
So who's smarter...the person who slogs through that test to ultimately give up personal info, or the person who uses the "Cliffs Notes" above to see where its all leading?

Latter, FTW!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Ouch! You got me. Love the bold portions - they add that extra kick. But why not put "It appears to have first been used by humorists" in bold since that's where such usage originated, especially when I used the word in poking fun at the poor grammar used by the author of a website asking one to prove one's logic? Taken out of context, your zinger may be justified; however, when you look at it in the manner in which it was intended, it's not all that egregious, huh?

BTW, often regarded as incorrect does not mean the same thing as always incorrect.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The quoted dictionary excerpt clearly defines the word as having jargon etymology and isn't really acceptable wording. It's the same thing as saying "I could care less." Yes, it is grammatically correct when placed in context of something of dislike, but any English professor will tell you that it is incorrect and "I couldn't care less" is the right term.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
:huh: Your point being? That words of jargon etymology should never be used in such a formal setting as this one? rotfl

Contextually speaking, and based on the definition you so graciously provided, the usage of the word is justified. And, FWIW, your caring less analogy does not seem apropos since those sayings do not mean the same thing at all, whether used correctly or incorrectly, as seen here:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
:huh: Your point being? That words of jargon etymology should never be used in such a formal setting as this one? rotfl
You know what I mean, as I provided a definition that describes why the word isn't widely accepted.

And, FWIW, your caring less analogy does not seem apropos since those sayings do not mean the same thing at all, whether used correctly or incorrectly, as seen here:
What I was saying is that both caring terms are often used to mean the same thing, even though one is widely considered as wrong, just as the word "thusly."

---

I'm not here to argue the English language, I was jokingly poking fun that you used a word "regarded as incorrect" when actually correcting someone else's words. I would've held my tongue if I knew my comment had offended you.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Just like I know what you mean, you know what I mean. It's :cool:!

FWIW, I wanted to use 'thus' or 'as follows', but they weren't as flippant.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'll add this to the list of "prove that you're smart" quizzes with incorrect questions/answers.

The very first question:

Better than God
Worse than the devil
Poor people don't have it
Rich people don't need it
If you eat it, you may die.

Answer: nothing.

Oops! "Poor people don't have nothing. Rich people don't need nothing." I guess this is the version of the riddle as told by Huck Finn!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I don't get the one about how many "F"s. I don't think I'm missing any.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That really was a heck of a demonstration. I thought I was clever, catching the "f" in the last "of". But somehow I overlooked the two other "of"s in the sentence! There are three fs in normal words, and three ofs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts