The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my second full track day a few weeks ago. It went well but I wanted some better brake bite. I ordered some EBC Orange pads from Greg at GRP and they came in on Monday (very fast shipping Greg! ) I was kind of taking my time and deciding when I wanted to change them. I just couldn't wait and pulled the stock pads out today for the swap. They were scaling/fragmenting pretty badly. These have 11k road miles and probably 75 laps at High Plains Raceway running at about 75-80% of my previous quickest times in a race prepped car.
If you are tracking your car on stock pads, you may want to check them/upgrade them pretty quickly. Again, they were ok on the track but not really good at giving confidence and bite. They felt fine on the road.
Here's pictures of fronts and rears. All 4 corners looked the same. Rotors are doing well so far.

with

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
I can't believe how long my stock pads have lasted. 8 tracks days and 7k miles cost me only 2 mm of wear. I still need to measure after Pocono, since I was braking from 145 near 40 times plus the other straights, I'm sure it was a harder day on them.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't believe how long my stock pads have lasted. 8 tracks days and 7k miles cost me only 2 mm of wear. I still need to measure after Pocono, since I was braking from 145 near 40 times plus the other straights, I'm sure it was a harder day on them.
Have you pulled them to inspect the surfaces?

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Actually amazing how well they work once you get some heat into the pads IMHO esp for a stock pad. The drilled rotors.....not so good

·
Registered
90 Posts
Very interested in your feedback on the Orangestuff I did 2 track days on some Yellowstuff and the edges have crumbled on them and some of the pad is not making contact with rotor anymore it seems like not sure. When they were working they stopped pretty well but I think I overdid it. Now I have Bluestuff and new rotors to put on just waiting on rotors to come in. I was going to go Orangestuff but wasn't sure how street friendly they are as I do street drive the car once a week usually.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not yet, it's been a while. I haven't changed a set of brake pads for a very long time. Is there a good DYI or video to change our brakes?
Not really that I could find for the 400/GT. They're pretty straight forward. Once you get the car/wheel up and the tire off they are about 5-10min per corner to swap out the pads. Calipers can stay on once you figure a way to compress the pistons back into the caliper to accept the thickness of the new pads. Feel free to contact me via PM and/or a phone call if needed and I'll walk you through.
I would encourage you to certainly pull at least 1 set of the fronts to inspect the surfaces and go from there.
Here's a link which will give you a guideline: Any DIY for brake pads service?

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On a street only car of standard performance I'd say in the 2-3mm range
Something like the Evora, street only, it would be 3-4mm
Track, it varies more on the pad condition vs thickness. These stock pads really didn't give any feedback to me on their actual condition. In fact, if I would have just street driven them from here on out they might be ok and wear back smooth but not certain. Another track day and they could have completely given up. Glad I checked for sure. Track cycles are hard on things.
For instance, I check wheel lug torques at least a couple times during a track day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
When do you typically replace yours? I have a hair under 6mm in the front left now after Pocono.
According to the manual for the 400s
Standard pad thickness (excluding backplate); 12.0 mm
Minimum pad thickness (excluding backplate); 2.5 mm

So you're right at the at least half pad that most HPDE inspections ask for.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
According to the manual for the 400s
Standard pad thickness (excluding backplate); 12.0 mm
Minimum pad thickness (excluding backplate); 2.5 mm

So you're right at the at least half pad that most HPDE inspections ask for.
I’m just measuring the pad itself so it sounds like I have a few days left.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What are our options for pads on the 400? I have always used Ferodo DS 1.11 on the NA. But I am coming up short on options for the 400. There are sites mentioned Pagid RS29 and PFC, but can't seem to confirm a fit. The EBC seem to be low end - not sure how well they work or if they are better than just getting DS2500. Any real world reviews on the EBC Orangestuff?

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm just bedding the EBC Oranges in now. So far they feel great. No noise so far. Going for a few hundred mile drive over the weekend and will report back street-ability afterwards. Track test will have to wait.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure yet...TBD.
Being Tracked, I bet the stock rotors will likely show stress cracks before they wear. Therefore, I'd much rather have good feeling, confident pedal. Good brakes on the track are more powerful than more HP, IMHO. Love to outbrake the high HP cars. Really pisses them off!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
The drilled rotors.....not so good
I saw there are AP racing J hook rotors available. I figured essexparts would have them since they are a big US distributor. Maybe call them? (Pro & Amateur Racing Parts and Brake Kits | Essex Parts Services, Inc.) I know from another thread I saw you can get the jhooks directly from lotus too it seems.

For instance, I check wheel lug torques at least a couple times during a track day.
Have you found the lug nuts back off? or are they typically well torqued when you check?

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw there are AP racing J hook rotors available. I figured essexparts would have them since they are a big US distributor. Maybe call them? (Pro & Amateur Racing Parts and Brake Kits | Essex Parts Services, Inc.) I know from another thread I saw you can get the jhooks directly from lotus too it seems.

Have you found the lug nuts back off? or are they typically well torqued when you check?
So far Lotus has been spot on each time so I'll probably back off on doing that as much. Kind of a habit with track cars.

·
Registered
225 Posts
FWIW - I've used EBC yellow - seemed very similar to stock. Switched to EBC blue - last longer, maybe less bite until hot - firmer pedal feel. No squealing from any of them - use the paste.

My wheel bolts never seem to have backed off. I check them after the wheel has cooled and not immediately after getting off the track - if I do that they will often be a little lose but that is bad procedure to torque the wheels while everything is super hot.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did some pretty spirited mountain driving today with 3 other Evora's. About 200 miles total. So far extremely pleased with these EBC Orange pads. Very confident bite. No squealing or other noise so far.
Pict was taken on road to Cripple Creek & Victor, CO. Just a bit SW of Pikes Peak at about 9940 Ft ASL.
Here's coordinates if interested: 38.7811, -105.1229
What a spectacular drive with great people and great cars!

Cloud Sky Wheel Car Tire

1 - 20 of 117 Posts