The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need access to a machine shop to develop a product idea. is there something like a gym membership where you pay a monthly fee for access? something around san jose or SF?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
More info.

TechShop is a fully-equipped open-access workshop and creative environment that lets you drop in any time and work on your own projects at your own pace. It is like a health club with tools and equipment instead of exercise equipment...or a Kinko's for geeks.
TechShop was founded in 2006 by Jim Newton, a lifetime maker, veteran BattleBots builder and former MythBuster. TechShop is located in Menlo Park, California, on the San Francisco peninsula 25 miles south of San Francisco.
Anyone can come in and build and make all kinds of things themselves using the TechShop tools, machines and equipment, and draw on the TechShop instructors and experts to help them with their projects.
TechShop is designed for everyone, regardless of their skill level. TechShop is perfect for inventors, "makers", hackers, tinkerers, artists, roboteers, families, entrepreneurs, youth groups, FIRST robotic teams, arts and crafts enthusiasts, and anyone else who wants to be able to make things that they dream up but don't have the tools, space or skills.
The TechShop workshop provides a wide variety of machinery and tools for the open and unlimited use of its members, including milling machines and lathes, welding stations and plasma cutters, sheet metal working equipment, drill presses and band saws, industrial sewing machines, hand tools, plastic working equipment, electronics design and fabrication facilities, tubing and metal bending machines, electrical supplies and tools, and pretty much everything you'd ever need to make just about anything all by yourself.
TechShop is for EVERYONE! If you already know how to use all the stuff at TechShop, that's great. But most people only know how to use a few of the tools, machines and equipment at TechShop. If you want to learn about the equipment and tools you have never used before, you can take a short group "Building Block" class to get up to speed in about an hour, or take a more in-depth class on any subject to learn about it more fully. Don't be afraid to try new things, no matter if it is welding, using a milling machine, working with fabrics and leather or plastics, or cutting keyways in a gear. The whole point of TechShop is to enable you with a wide variety of new capabilities so you can start to see the pathway that lets you make new and exciting things.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
That equipment list is HUGE!!!!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I need one of those in Houston. Somewhere between my house and MSRH would be a good location.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I've been there, its like a playground for tinkering geeks (like me), its got every tool you can possibly think of.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Dude that is seriously awsome! So many times I would love to have something like that around. $30 a day for use sounds very reasonable for most poeples needs. Many times I have thought about buying a welder and I have even taken college classes, but its just such a high expense for something I would use a couple times a year....this would be far better.

Now the question is, do the weld stations have pull in garage bays :)

Actually I was just looking, they have a dyno....$30 to go dyno your car at just about any hour of the day....no brainer! And a stereolithography machine...oh man this is too much! I think my wife might be glad there isn't one near.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts