The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that folks report nice improvements with suspension enhancements on the V8. Both PUK and SJS seems to have solutions available and they are both in the same ballpark for cost. What are the experiences and recommendations from folks that might be familiar with these solutions (or others)? My primary consideration is enhacneemnt for track use and regular street driving is secondary to me.

Knut

·
Registered
17 Posts
New feel

I have an 02 silver and I just put Spax Adjustable shocks with Sport 350 springs and all new rear bushings the car feels like a Esprit should. I only have 12k miles but the front shocks were leaking and the rear bushings were needing attention. They are 28 way Adjustable and have been tweaking the ride feel and they are exceptional for half the cost of the FE edition. Also I took the rear end of the car down 1" and tightened up the rebound on the shocks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
not to give PUK a bad name but they sell GAZ shocks as their upgrades but you can get the shocks alone for WAY cheaper when you go directly through GAZ themselves. Order some nice H&R springs in a rate of your choice and call it a day!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Closely following this thread.
I want to upgrade my 2003 to the adjustable Final Edition type suspension.
Tough to figure out what would work best.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the Spax off JAE and also the Sport 350 Springs they are stiffer for the springs to fit correctly you will need to order a set of perches. I post pics tonight

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is a few rear and front set up pics. They look great and they are extremely easy to set on the wheel adjustment on the bottom. I like it firm and tight and lowered just slightly.

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info and the pics. In the pics the adjustment collars look like they are as low as they will go. When you say it's slightly lowered, how much do you figure you've dropped the height by? With the SPAX, is both the bound and the rebound adjustable?

Knut

Here is a few rear and front set up pics. They look great and they are extremely easy to set on the wheel adjustment on the bottom. I like it firm and tight and lowered just slightly.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've put both new Spax and Gaz shocks on my Esprits and neither will perform as well as the Bilstein/Eibach setup from Lotus.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I wonder setup the x180 race cars used. Those were probably the best set up street-ish esprits. Anyone know? Those cars were also lowered significantly from stock ride height too.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
The X180-R's had custom Monroe shocks, and their geometry was changed for a lower ride height and anti-dive and anti-squat. Their steering rack geo was also changed. My friend runs at 159mm front and 156 rear ride height. The X180-R Monroes were hand made, and are no longer available.

I know one X180-R with Carrera (Qa1) shocks, and another with Koni double adjustables.

The Carrera setup
Front: #6348/6 with a 4" stroke and compression damping of 475lb and
rebound of 320lbs.

Rear: #6366/5 is a 6" stroke with 320lbs of compression and 265lbs of rebound.

His springs are 10cs425 & 10cs300. which means 425lbs front and 300lbs rear.
But I wouldn't run anything close to that without a roll cage to stiffen the car.

The normal Esprit chassis is just too soft to run that much spring and stiff shocks...

I have JRZ double adjustables with 350lb/in x10" rear springs and 300lb/in x8" front springs. Haven't gotten them to where I like it yet, but I can definitely twist the chassis.

I used to run SPAX with stock springs for many years. Liked them just fine, though I should have taken the time to get the front ride height correct.

Koni doubles on an X180-R (required modification of front wishbones

Carrera (Qa1)

Little bit of interference

JRZ Doubles with remote reservoirs.

Remote

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So is the Bilstein/Eiback setup that SJS sells the same as the Lotus setup? If you search for "Bilstein" on the SJS web site under the Esprit 93-newer category it pops up their shocks as well as matching springs (and in the photo of the springs they are marked Eibach).

Knut

I've put both new Spax and Gaz shocks on my Esprits and neither will perform as well as the Bilstein/Eibach setup from Lotus.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've had the Gaz setup on my 89 for several years, (installed 2005), and they work great. Understear can be dialed right out. I changed out the springs to track rated units and yes the ride is a bit stiff but not intolerable. The suspension and chasis work together very well. They were a bit pricier than the SPAX units but had a greater range of adjustment and when one went bad it was replaced for free. Marcus was great to deal with and was happy to answer any questions I may have had at the time.
7 years later and they are still performing great. No leaks and if they are wearing out it's not noticeable to me. The car had 86k on it when I installed them, now at 125k.
Info for reference.

Al B.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I just installed the Lotus Bilsten/Eibach package on my S4s. I like it a lot for my intended street use, but for track use I would want more damping.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
So is the Bilstein/Eiback setup that SJS sells the same as the Lotus setup? If you search for "Bilstein" on the SJS web site under the Esprit 93-newer category it pops up their shocks as well as matching springs (and in the photo of the springs they are marked Eibach).

Knut
Knut,

I think they are the same but not sure. Email Steve at SJ and he'll answer the question for you though.

Dale,

It's been a couple of years since I bought the GAZ but IIRC, they were around $100 each.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I dont have the actual receipt in front of me right now but according to the records on my website, after importing them from GAZ UK, the final cost with shipping and everything else came out to be $509.82. This is without springs remember. Im getting a set of 4 H&R srings for $225 shipped in the next couple weeks too... so grand total is still under $800... versus PUK almost $1500 for the whole kit.

this is how my shocks came:
http://shadeone.com/modificationpics/shocks.jpg

Jamie

Hey Shadeone,

You say the cost from GAZ direct is really good. Do you have ballpark numbers?

Thanks,

Dale

·
Registered
184 Posts
Very nice. They look like the same front and rear. Is that correct?

Thanks for the info!

I dont have the actual receipt in front of me right now but according to the records on my website, after importing them from GAZ UK, the final cost with shipping and everything else came out to be $509.82. This is without springs remember. Im getting a set of 4 H&R srings for $225 shipped in the next couple weeks too... so grand total is still under $800... versus PUK almost $1500 for the whole kit.

this is how my shocks came:
http://shadeone.com/modificationpics/shocks.jpg

Jamie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts