The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got nailed again yesterday, this time by PA's finest. Same result as in VA! A warning ticket and a little bit of humor from the MAN. He says "You should slow down. However, you could have been going a LOT faster, and you weren't swirving. Also, I really just wanted to see your Lotus". So no ticket!

He went on to warn me there were some young officers camped out in the next 20 miles, and he said they'd give me a ticket in a heartbeat (they were right where he said they were). He added that I should tape the warning ticket next to the speedometer as a reminder that I was in a ticketmobile and I needed to take extra care because of it.

This is pretty funny because my office team has a pool on when I'll get my 1st ticket. So far so good, despite hitting 125 on the AC Expressway recently. Anyone else have runins with the law??

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Great story!!! I haven't had any run ins yet but the cops I've passed were watching me with a lot of interest. I've had good luck in PA as well. I was clocked at 110 just north of Pittsburg and he let me go. He actually told me that if I wanted to kill myself I should do it in my own state! Perhaps you should make a bet as to how many warnings you will get before a ticket?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Caught at 110 MPH?! Ouch! You really got lucky! I envision Rodney King if I got nailed at 110! That's pretty cool. I can't wait for the next autocross, so I can burm off some of the pent-up adrenaline...

·
Registered
118 Posts
You should get to a race track. Luck only holds so far. They can legally confiscate your car and throw you in jail for speeding at 3 digits. Don't mean to be a killjoy, but you'd be surprised how stupid and inane doing 3 digit speeds in public roads will seem after you've taken your car to high speed drifts and actually hit your speed limiter at a road race track. Lot's more fun to boot. A totally different experience from auto-X.

Love your avatar, Dan!!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I got stopped by a NY State Trooper the other day... I was driving right at the limit when a patrol car enters the highway from the side of the road. I passed him as he was waiting for traffic to clear. Immediately he got behind me and about 1 minute later the lights came on. He told me he stopped me for having no front plate. Even though when he was behind me for a bit he could see my NY State temporary plate. Temporary "paper" plates are rear only, always have been!!! Turns out he just wanted to check out the car, find out more about it. So after I was stressed out and had to produce all my papers and so forth he wanted to talk cars, engines, driving...

Part of me was relieved. And part of me was pissed off that I was stopped for no real reason and was delayed getting to my destination. Not sure what else I could do other than be polite and leave when he said I could.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
When I was stopped at 110mph I was 21, 12 years ago. I've slowed down on the street and I do attend track days around the southeast usa. I learned my lesson...luckily before anyone was hurt. Track driving is addictive and I highly recommend it to everyone that might be reading this.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It's funny Dan, but after I started attending track days, I found myself driving a lot slower on the street. You can't push as hard, there are a lot more things to hit and the man is just waiting to impound your car.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not driving so slow I hold up traffic. I just don't fly past other cars going 30-40 mph faster than them.

Jim

·
Registered
970 Posts
Surferjer said:
I got nailed again yesterday, this time by PA's finest. Same result as in VA! A warning ticket and a little bit of humor from the MAN. He says "You should slow down. However, you could have been going a LOT faster, and you weren't swirving. Also, I really just wanted to see your Lotus". So no ticket!

He went on to warn me there were some young officers camped out in the next 20 miles, and he said they'd give me a ticket in a heartbeat (they were right where he said they were). He added that I should tape the warning ticket next to the speedometer as a reminder that I was in a ticketmobile and I needed to take extra care because of it.

This is pretty funny because my office team has a pool on when I'll get my 1st ticket. So far so good, despite hitting 125 on the AC Expressway recently. Anyone else have runins with the law??

SJ, are you not middle age???. Some of your posts sound abit juvenile and immature imho(I realize that many on here love that about your posts). Some examples--countless drag racing stories...hitting 125 on the freeway. You probably havent been in a serious auto accident or had a reckless driving charge have you?. The way you drive, you are lucky that you have not. Take it to the track if you need the speed(and auto-X doesnt count!). There are so many things that can go wrong out there and many things to regret for the rest of your life.

OK, Im done preaching now. Ive seen alot of trauma in my days and it isnt pretty. And Im not just preaching to you cause I am guilty of it myself. That cup of coffee last summer cost me 3000.00 by the time my lawyer got the charge down to 2nd degree negligent driving.:mad: :mad: .

And if course, I get a ticket today for doing 69 on the freeway following traffic and not passing.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I'm middle age. And no, I haven't been in a serious accident-at least not since I was 19, when I was in two wrecks which totalled both my Fiat 850 Spider and my friend's '69 bug in a 24 hour period (we rolled three times in his-no seatbelts, lucky bastards).

I went to AC tonight, too. But the fastest I got was 100 MPH. If you've ever driven it, it's real easy to go at that speed. The average of most drivers can be as high as 90, believe it or not. But I saw a total wreck on the same road coming home from the beach yesterday. A new 911 (I can't tell the various models apart so well, especially after they've been rolled) and a bimmer. What a mess. A Flight for Life helicopter was there. THAT slowed me down a bit.

I don't have a reckless driving yet-but there's a difference between straight-line speeding and reckless driving. I'll save the "reckless" for the autocross, and try to heed your advice on the speeding. As for racing one stoplight to the next, I'm not too worried about that. It's a relatively harmless game that it seems a lot of middle-aged "boys" want to play. Yep, more often than not it's guys my age.

Sorry about your ticket today. Sucks...

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
OR................. You could move to MICHIGAN........ No Curves, but No Cops....... kind of bittersweet...... Freeway Speed Limit STARTS at 70.... but thats for the slow cars in the right lane..... ( the SUV lane seems to have no speed limit )

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
mact3333 said:

And if course, I get a ticket today for doing 69 on the freeway following traffic and not passing.:confused: :confused:
It's no wonder you got a ticket. Keep this kind of behavior off our highways and in the bedroom where it belongs. Sheesh...how indecent and downright dangerous!

:D

·
Registered
970 Posts
huggy bear said:
It's no wonder you got a ticket. Keep this kind of behavior off our highways and in the bedroom where it belongs. Sheesh...how indecent and downright dangerous!

:D

But I was in the car by myself, which is even abit more intriguing....:D :D :D ....in retrospect, i deserved that ticket cause even in the south, this is considered kinda repulsive....:)

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I don't really agree that driving in the triple digits on public roads is always dangerous. It's dangerous in high traffic areas, but not on low traffic highways.

I average 110-120mph when driving to my lake home in MI. Smooth roads, very light traffic, very few cops.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Sorry,
but a 120 mph on any public roads is dangerous (i've done a few times myself) if anything rural roads even worse with farmer john pulling out of his driveway on a tractor, etc.

To AVERAGE 120mph you'd have to be driving faster than that or we're talking tall tales here;)
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
There is a road in Nevada that is straight, with no farms on the sides. With nothing on the sides. With no crossing streets or anyway for a car to enter the road. For miles and miles. They use it for the Silver State races.

That road I felt comfortable taking a car past 120.

By the way, I felt the Elise seemed a little skitterish past 120. It felt "light"... maybe it was just me.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Randy Chase said:
There is a road in Nevada that is straight, with no farms on the sides. With nothing on the sides. With no crossing streets or anyway for a car to enter the road. For miles and miles. They use it for the Silver State races.

That road I felt comfortable taking a car past 120.

By the way, I felt the Elise seemed a little skitterish past 120. It felt "light"... maybe it was just me.
Must have been you, mine felt fine at 125 mph:D

·
Registered
970 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
Mact,
do you have your car? I haven't seen any good Nightfall Blue pics.... u holdin out?

Nope, Im 13 at Galpin. Should have car by Nov/Dec.

While I want NF, if Ardent or Magnetic comes in and its unspoken for, I will be very tempted to get it instead. Im more adamant about HT,LSS and touring than color for right now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts