The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was pulled over by a CHP officer. He said he pulled me over becuse I have paper (dealer) plates. He just asked if I was the owner of the car and how long I have owned it. He did not even cross check my ownership with my drivers license! What he did do was walk around the car twice, looking at all the beautiful lines of the Evora. The CHP was a guy that looked to be about 28 yrs old.

Looks like he pulled me over so he could check out the Lotus! Anyone here have similar experiences? He did not issue any warnings or give me a ticket, but he watched me as I drove off.

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts
This has happened to me 5 times in the last 4 years of (Elise) ownership.

After my heart stops pounding over the blue light surprise, It always goes very well.

A couple have been just ga-ga over the car. :D

My favorite quote was after beaing pulled over shortly after responding to a green light with "enthusiasm" (not speeding, no wheel spin):

"My GOD - I thought only bikes accelerated that fast. Please be careful." :shift:

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Some cops are car guys too! It has happened to more than a couple people on the forums.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, it happened to me. On the second day of ownership, within 24 hours of getting the keys to the car.

Picked up the car in Montreal late the day before, and after having lunch in Ottawa with a friend, driving to a gas station, got pulled over by Ottawa police. Her excuse? I had a transit plate on the car, and she wanted to see the paperwork. So me and my wife sitting in the car in mid-afternoon Ottawa traffic while she takes her time checking out the title.

Her first comment after pulling me over? "We don't see too many of these around here." No kidding.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It happened to me within the first few days I had the Lotus. Even being beside me in traffic for along time, seeing the paperwork taped to the window, only excuse for stopping me was that I had taken the dealer paper plate off. I told him I didn't think it was against the law to take advertising from the dealer off my car. He finally admitted he just wanted to see the car.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting for me to read about others here getting pulled over by the law jst so they can check out our cara. I get people looking at the Evora all the time, going by and giving me thumbs up, but law enforcement stopping us just to check the car out? It is surprising.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
I'm pretty sure we got picked out of traffic once so the fellow could check out the Tundra.
It is a nice one, and a lot more folks around here would be drawn to a sharp truck anyway.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had 2 under cover cops pull me over... I was racing of course, they let me go with a promise to let them drive it, I gave them my cell... thought I was going to jail...

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I rented a DB9 Volante on vacation in Scotland a few years ago and the cops pulled me over just north of Glasgow because they wanted to take pictures of the car for their kids.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If a cop pulls you over just to get a look at your car, you should file a complaint against them. I understand the fascination with exotic cars, but that is a blatant abuse of authority, and completely disrespectful to the driver.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
If a cop pulls you over just to get a look at your car, you should file a complaint against them. I understand the fascination with exotic cars, but that is a blatant abuse of authority, and completely disrespectful to the driver.
I think owning a Exotic cars comes with the responsiblity to educate, even educate a curious Cop.
Half the reason I bought the car was because it stood out. I can't just run to get coffee or a gallon of milk without it turning into a 15 min Q&A session.
If I wanted to blend in I would have bought a 911rotfl
At the local QT(gas station and coffee stop in these part) If someone ask me what kind of car it is I tell them to guess. If they guess right the coffee is on me.
I think of it as my own little PR stunt for Lotus
So far I 've bought about a dozen cups of coffee. In fact the attendants at QT will tell me when someone wants to play the "free coffee game"
probably should de-badge to discourage cheating:p

So far no cop stops, but I did have the local Community College Photography club in my office parking lot on a "photo safari"
Now they can say they have captured the rare and ellusive Lotus Evora:clap:

·
Registered
184 Posts
A few months ago I was taking my buddy home when we lined up with one of the local detectives in his police charger at a stop light. I looked over (we always wave to each other even though I don't really know him) and he was signalling that he wanted to race. Since it was a 60mph road I obliged him to that speed where even with 470 lbs of passenger weight I walked away quite easily. A few days later I ran into the detective in the walmart parking lot and he started joking that he almost had me.

·
Registered
841 Posts
fyi, there is a passenger weight limit, and 470lb is at least 100lbs over.

There's about 250kg (550lbs) between the weight of a fueled up car and the car's max weight with passengers and cargo. So, if you weigh 200lbs yourself, your 670lb combined weight would put you 120lbs over the maximum rated weight of the car.

Please be careful when driving an overloaded car.

·
Registered
184 Posts
fyi, there is a passenger weight limit, and 470lb is at least 100lbs over.

There's about 250kg (550lbs) between the weight of a fueled up car and the car's max weight with passengers and cargo. So, if you weigh 200lbs yourself, your 670lb combined weight would put you 120lbs over the maximum rated weight of the car.

Please be careful when driving an overloaded car.
Thx for the info. I weigh about 245 and my friend about 225. He had a couple of subway sandwiches in his lap so that probably added a couple more pounds. Don't usually carry more than the soft top cover and owner's manual in the trunk so I should be ok yes?

By passenger weight I meant both of the occupants... poor choice of words.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've never gotten a ticket in the lotus... a couple of stern looks, a couple of scares, but nothing worse.

My 3 favorite stories:

1. speeding a bit on my way home down a curvy backstreet in an industrial area, 8pm or so, I'm surprised by a cop eating his dinner in his car. He looks up from his burrito, startled, then smiles and gives me the thumbs up.

2. driving with a friend, fast and agressive but nothing dangerous or even illegal, I stop at a red light, only to hear (over loudspeaker) "you, in the black car, back it off a bit". I look and there is a cop in my rear view.

and the scariest...

3. driving home from work late, I hit 100+ on a couple of empty highway stretches, pull off onto my exit ramp, and stop at the light. I then hear (CHP motorcycle type radio on loudspeaker) "... left the freeway on XXX" (XXX is where I am)... I look around, no cops to be seen.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Personally I think it's one idiot with a badge leading a pack of other idiots with fat wallets. I had a friend who spent 6 months in a coma because he got rear-ended by a guy who was part of a bunch of neanderthals racing on the Whitestone Expressway. I have no respect for people who do this on the road, particularly when they have enough bread to act like adults and go to a track.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts