The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was pulled over for not displaying my front license plate. I don't have any mounting holes or brackets on my '05 Elise, bought it used. Would it be okay to drill thru the fiberglass lip on the front clam? I recall reading somewhere, in my state (VA), it is required to display a front license plate "as long as it is mountable" to the front. Must be subjective then. Cop gave me a yellow notice and told me to call the number on that note, it looks like they haven't determined a fine. What should I do?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can buy a factory bracket and drill mounting holes in the plinth. Not as nice looking as running without a plate, but at least you won't get hassled.

I think someone offers a plate mount that attaches to the tow hook so you can avoid drilling the car if you want to go that route.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Correct line... dammit! this is the second time this month someone has stolen my front tag, they even took my no-drill Lotus vanity cover! At least this time they didn't tear off the front Lotus emblem too! I just got the new emblem mounted last week, had to wait for it to come all the way from England! Why aren't you officers taking care of these hoodlems that think its "cool" to strip stuff off exotic cars! Well, looks like another trip to the DMV *grumble*.
If you can squeeze off a tear or two during your delivery, you *might* pull it off.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I think I got mine from BWR - towhook mount - a little flimsy out of the box - but easy to mod for a stable intall. Mine is mounted like a rock now - acts as a clam warning shield, but makes the car look like shift. Remove the "f". Velcro works too believe it or not - that industrial stuff. Easier to steal the plate w/ the Velcro. Both approaches are "no drill clam" solutions. Makes the car look like....

·
Registered
742 Posts
Get yourself some "L" Brackets and fab somthing up. Don't drill into her that's a sin :no:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
You can buy a factory bracket and drill mounting holes in the plinth. Not as nice looking as running without a plate, but at least you won't get hassled.

I think someone offers a plate mount that attaches to the tow hook so you can avoid drilling the car if you want to go that route.
I can sell you a factory bracket if you want one. Perfect, unmounted. Many have also developed what I consider to be superior tow hook mount solutions, with a single piece of bent sheet metal - a couple inches wide, by ??? long, with a cross member on the end to screw the plate directly into, no frame needed.. You can make your own and save big bucks.
Also - when pulled over (or allowing for the possibility) - you should have the tag in the car with you w/ any longish black bolt you may have lying around and show the cop those two items. Explain to him that your bracket broke on the road and you are on top of it. You are waiting for parts. It helps if the plate has a tire mark or some scratches or bent corners. That will be the end of it, no ticket. Cops love people that are on top of it.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Move somewhere without that dumba$$ed law.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My Elise has a piece of sheet metal drilled into the front plate area. The problem is it is not large enough to screw all 4 of the plate screws to. Only the top two will fit and I'm worried that it will wiggle a lot in the wind... Is there a better way? Any suggestions would help.

Right now I'm on my temp plate and only in the back but my vanities are on the way so I have to figure out something soon.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I always thought the Mona Lisa would look better with a harmonica in her mouth...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
My Elise has a piece of sheet metal drilled into the front plate area. The problem is it is not large enough to screw all 4 of the plate screws to. Only the top two will fit and I'm worried that it will wiggle a lot in the wind... Is there a better way? Any suggestions would help.

Right now I'm on my temp plate and only in the back but my vanities are on the way so I have to figure out something soon.

Screw in the top two screws tight w/lockwashers, and run industrial Velcro down the verticals and plate. I bet it won't budge. If that's not enough, epoxy/jb weld some kind of spacer to the aluminum to fill in the gap between the verticals, so that it is flush with rest of the mount. Double sided tape or industrial Velcro that horizontal line to the plate/mount. You're there.
If that's not enough - use your tow hook mount to anchor a piece of sheet metal that extends and bends down to the top of the back of the license plate. Affix to give you support. If that isn't enough you are driving to fast and need to slow down. That sheet metal is the factory mount.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Go with the Tow Hook mount set up and save your front clam.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just register the car in a state that doesnt require 2 plates. All you need is a mailing address in that state. Like a UPS store, and they will redirect the mail to you. Problem, solution!

·
Registered
2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 Red Velvet
44 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it till it happens again....... Maybe the cop was having a bad day. I haven't been pulled over yet for not having a front plate, owned my Elise for 5.5 years now.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
In Massachusetts years ago they used to run one plate, green lettering. The cops were bitching they didn't have a front plate to aim radar at so the law was changed back to two plates and they changed to red lettering. Red letter plates are required by law to use both.

Here's the kicker... if you have an old green letter plate it is still legal if inspection it can read from 60 yards. If the inspector feels the plate is illegible at 60 yards you must go to the DMV which your old plate will be exchanged for a new 'pair' of red letter plates free of charge. I've seen the old green ones out there that you can barely read and they are still on the road.

This is just plain wrong. If a state requires two plates then so it shall be for EVERYONE and eliminate the green letter plates. It's not fair for those of us whom own beautiful cars to display a front plate if we choose not to do so. Making that choice can cost you a ticket.

I'm not trying to Hi-Jack this thread however enough is enough. This is the 'Law' and they are breaking their own 'Law'. :confused:

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I would worry about not having a front plate but then again I was pulled over in Illinois by an Iowa cop and given a no front plate ticket which also included a special "in 60 days your car can no longer be registered in Iowa by you ever again so f off clause". I requested a trial as the ticket stated and never received any info. When I went to renew my plates I couldn't. Good bye Acura RSX, hello Lotus Elise. There's the justice system at work.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My avatar say's it all... looks like I just have two front teeth with the plate mounted. I remove it if I'm going out of state, two screws and toss it under the bonnet.
Sometimes I've done that and forgot to put it back on. If I get pulled over in my state I tell the officer I did a Charity car show and forgot to put it back on in front of the cop. Pull the plate out and install it in front of him.

There are way's around getting a ticket, you just have to be careful as the cops have heard ALL excuses.

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
"Super" magnets. The kind that attract so strongly that if you get your fingers in between them they give you blood blisters. Neo-moly something or other. Put two on your plate with glue and felt and two under the clam with glue. No holes in the clam.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts