The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow that's a good price for a 3" pully. I'm getting one soon mine is 100$ I hope someone answers your question because I had no clue and I would like to know also.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Under discretion it says 3". Stock is 3.3" from my research 3" is the best size anything smaller is not recommended.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Why do you need that pulley?

Just looked at the Ad.......Your taking a big chance bro! That whole "we do not have much information" part is sketchy. Looks Chinese!

·
Registered
224 Posts
you would be better to order a RLS pulley and they will also supply the correct sized belt. You will also need to purchase a tune for that size. I have a 2.9 pulley and the supercharger whine is sensational.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
This is where people are making mistakes! When adding upgrades or parts to your Lotus to utilize the potential of the upgrade you have to ask the experts about tuning for efficiency! Without optimizing the tune you only receive a partial benefit from the upgrade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The email reply I received was it was a company that built turbo kits for the Elise not far from where I live called Forcedfed Performance.

They are made here in the USA at a machine shop at Sonoma Raceway.

This is old inventory from when the place closed a few years ago.

From what I have read and heard they made good stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking around the internet I came across some stuff about that company including a Car and Driver shoot out with one lotus they built.

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
The email reply I received was it was a company that built turbo kits for the Elise not far from where I live called Forcedfed Performance.

They are made here in the USA at a machine shop at Sonoma Raceway.

This is old inventory from when the place closed a few years ago.

From what I have read and heard they made good stuff.

A while back I had an opportunity to see some of the parts they made for the exige and I have to warn you they were total garbage! Just remember you get what you pay for. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Our intent was to get you to do your homework, and it looks like you did.

You should be able to get a belt from any of the sponsoring suppliers on here.

But like IAN said. You get what your pay for.

Does it come with a tool?

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,778 Posts
I'm more curious how he plans to tune it and cool the hotter inlet temps generated from the pulley... Oh well, not my car!

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
+1 Me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
A while back I had an opportunity to see some of the parts they made for the exige and I have to warn you they were total garbage! Just remember you get what you pay for. Good luck
I had an opportunity yesterday after a few calls and an email or two with the original owner of that company and he pointed me towards the fabricator of their turbo kit and I seen first had the stuff they built and are building. Garbage you say, maybe glasses will help you. I doubt you seen anything they built or used it. To drop a bomb like that strikes me as odd.

Never the less they hand built first class stuff for the Lotus community I am here to say. Just searching this sites old post confirms this as fact.

As for tuning I found that they worked with EFI, thus I found that guy in so cal. I am too now looking for the header they built for the Exige a short production but maybe there is one out there.

Thanks to all for your input this was a very interesting experience to say the least.

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
I had an opportunity yesterday after a few calls and an email or two with the original owner of that company and he pointed me towards the fabricator of their turbo kit and I seen first had the stuff they built and are building. Garbage you say, maybe glasses will help you. I doubt you seen anything they built or used it. To drop a bomb like that strikes me as odd.

Never the less they hand built first class stuff for the Lotus community I am here to say. Just searching this sites old post confirms this as fact.

As for tuning I found that they worked with EFI, thus I found that guy in so cal. I am too now looking for the header they built for the Exile a short production but maybe there is one out there.

Thanks to all for your input this was a very interesting experience to say the least.

In the end if they make a quality part that's fine but all I was saying is the few pieces I got to see didn't measure up... Now, I will add this. I was only told that Forcefed made the parts, maybe I should have included that. However all things being equal and assuming they were in fact true forcefed parts then I wouldn't have put them on my car that's all. Some parts didn't fit and others were the measurements were way off and had to be customized to make fit. Who knows maybe I saw an early prototype piece or maybe they used different fabricators over time I honestly don't know much about them. Once they were properly fitted I'm sure they work like a charm, who knows it wasn't my car, but in the end I can only go on the I information I was given and what I saw at the time....
If you decide to use the parts and they work for you that's great, either way share you're experiences so we know and are more informed, including myself

Oh btw I do wear glasses already but thank you for attempting to insult me with just your 6th post on the forum -poke-
Good luck man

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,778 Posts

As for tuning I found that they worked with EFI, thus I found that guy in so cal. I am too now looking for the header they built for the Exige a short production but maybe there is one out there.

Face palm... You clearly have NO idea what you are doing or talking about! Yes Forcedfed made good stuff at the time (first real tuner for these cars), but it was so long ago an things have moved on since! I mean there is a reason very few people still have a Forcedfed kit on their cars...

Pulley: ok a pulley is a pulley I suppose... But anything under a 3.1" will require a new tune, and even a 3.1" may need a tune.

Forcedfed headers: take a look, but many people who had them have experienced cracking and failures... not exactly first rate... Plus headers mean new tune, if you want to take advantage of more power.

EFI: I highly recomend not using an EFI to piggyback on you existing ECU. It has never worked well and requires constant tuning, and even then most cars never truely run well (yes Forcedfed did this but everyone complained about the tune). The two good tuning options are completely replace your ECU, and buy a custom one or have a site vendor retune your current ECU... ECU tuning will cost $1000-$3000.

Cooling: Stock exige's already heatsoak quickly. How do you plan to keep that cool? If you do nothing all your gains will be for naught as the ECU pulls timing to prevent knock...

Do some more research. There are a whole bunch of options out there.

Then again, this is your car, do what you want, but make sure you realize the consequences before you destroy your engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ian

I am a big automotive enthusiast have been for over 30 years, That being said I have seen the changes in the performance car part world both for the serious track guys and for street use change not always for the better.

I turned to the forum to gather some information on an item I am not all that familiar with on a car I am just learning about. My worry and rightfully so is to get information that is not accurate or just not true. Your statement was a bold one GARBAGE this lead me to research outside the box.

Finding out who they are and what they are all about leads me to call you out on that statement sorry for the glasses comment by the way I too where them. But I found that comment to be completely untrue based on what I discovered and would be interested in what parts you have experience with that was manufactured by them.

As for the pulley it was machined locally and fits like a glove so my guess is when I get it tuning part figured out this little pocket rocket will sing a sweet note. Other interesting information I gathered was this fabricator is a team manager for a championship wining race car team.

You just can’t find better people then this to build stuff and I wish they still had interest in the Lotus market.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Face palm... You clearly have NO idea what you are doing or talking about! Yes Forcedfed made good stuff at the time (first real tuner for these cars), but it was so long ago an things have moved on since! I mean there is a reason very few people still have a Forcedfed kit on their cars...

Pulley: ok a pulley is a pulley I suppose... But anything under a 3.1" will require a new tune, and even a 3.1" may need a tune.

Forcedfed headers: take a look, but many people who had them have experienced cracking and failures... not exactly first rate... Plus headers mean new tune, if you want to take advantage of more power.

EFI: I highly recomend not using an EFI to piggyback on you existing ECU. It has never worked well and requires constant tuning, and even then most cars never truely run well (yes Forcedfed did this but everyone complained about the tune). The two good tuning options are completely replace your ECU, and buy a custom one or have a site vendor retune your current ECU... ECU tuning will cost $1000-$3000.

Cooling: Stock exige's already heatsoak quickly. How do you plan to keep that cool? If you do nothing all your gains will be for naught as the ECU pulls timing to prevent knock...

Do some more research. There are a whole bunch of options out there.

Then again, this is your car, do what you want, but make sure you realize the consequences before you destroy your engine.
Thanks for that information I am looking at a ton of stuff for this car cooling and tuning is at the top of the list prior to taking it on the road. The pulley is a point of interest and wondered why such a low cost. I am considering a bottom end build up too to deal with all the possible issues this 2ZZ can create when going past the factory psi level. I like the replacing ecu option better then piggy back stuff thanks for that lead I will look into that in more detail.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts