The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an overlay of the Mini vs. Elise. I scaled it to be in the right proportion for length so hopefully it came out correctly. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
That makes "Mini" seem like a misnomer!

Thomas

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Thanks for doing that! I've been wondering just how they match-up sizewise. Fascinating!

·
Registered
13 Posts
To be fair, the height is off by about 5 mm or 10%.

Elise 45.72"
Mini 55.8"

In the picture the Elise is 4.5cm tall and the Mini 6.1cm. Keeping the height of the Mini constant, the height of the Elise should be about 5mm taller, or about 10%.

Math:
45.72/55.8 = .819
4.5/6.1 = .737
5/6.1 = .819

:)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
When you are bored and have time, you might want to do the Miata vs Elise, or Honda S2000 vs Elise, or BMW Z4 vs Elise, or Corvette vs. Elise, or ...

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
>"To be fair, the height is off by about 5 mm or 10%."

Ken - that could be as simple as the amount the car is lowered over its wheels (think "wheel well gap"). Can you repeat that check when comparing the lenth of each car? That should be more constant.

Thomas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thomasio said:
>"To be fair, the height is off by about 5 mm or 10%."

Ken - that could be as simple as the amount the car is lowered over its wheels (think "wheel well gap"). Can you repeat that check when comparing the lenth of each car? That should be more constant.

Thomas
It could be just the wheel well gap, but it could also be that the entire body of the car is 10% smaller. The wheel gap would change little in the comparison, but if you can imagine the entire Elise as 10% bigger, it makes the comparison a bit different.

The length numbers are pretty good.
Mini-----Elise-----Ratio
143.9----151.4----.950
15.3-----15.8-----.968

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Thanks Vantage, and thanks Ken. Thanks also to Shinoo. Nice work!

Thomas

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Thanks for the work. It really helps put a marker on the size comparison for those who have not seen the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried to edit this picture to show approximately where the roofline should be. I don't have the originals so I can't scale the entire car. In the original picture, the Elise is 4 inches shorter than it should be.

PS. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just like accuracy. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shoot, I just realized some confusion. When I said the height should be 5mm taller, that was in reference to the pictured height of 4.5cm. Not in reference to the actual height of the vehicle. For that, it's 4 inches. If the Elise in the first picture were real, it would be 41.1 inches tall, not the actual 45.7inches.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Here's a pic of a Fed Elise behind a Mini Cooper that I took

In person, it was definitely much lower than the Mini Cooper. It was actually pretty sobering. From the driver's seat of the Elise, you're staring straight into the license plate of the Mini Cooper.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Ken said:
Shoot, I just realized some confusion. When I said the height should be 5mm taller, that was in reference to the pictured height of 4.5cm. Not in reference to the actual height of the vehicle. For that, it's 4 inches. If the Elise in the first picture were real, it would be 41.1 inches tall, not the actual 45.7inches.
Accountant? Actuarian? You DO like accuracy :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Vantage said:
I made an overlay of the Mini vs. Elise. I scaled it to be in the right proportion for length so hopefully it came out correctly. ;)
Yes, but what would the elise look like pulled up next to Mini Me?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Very interesting !

Details notwithstanding, the diagram (either one) points out one of the things that turned me off about the new MINI, when I was considering it as my next car - that the car's shape and stance reminds me a little too much of a mini-SUV. What I mean is, it's pretty dang tall, for a small car. I still really like the original mini, and if I had a bit more garage space, I'd buy one as a project car.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Looks like the Elise is longer than the Mini. Can we do a Elise-Escalade comparision?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts