The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the verdict is in, Pulstar v. NGK Iridium = same HP based on Dyno testing. Interesting as I didn't expect any improvement in HP #'s.

Enging mods: Weapon-R intake/headers/de-cat and Von Hep exhaust = LOUD!

I still like the Pulstar (over priced) plugs.

Some photos of the plugs, cars, AMS, Mike, and Pulstar dyno tests video, and dyno results!

]1good2go - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
12 Posts
It says that the 2ZZ-GE engine has a well-designed combustion chamber that more spark energy don't help.

The dyno also says that your other mods are really not doing much, except making your car loud.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It says that the 2ZZ-GE engine has a well-designed combustion chamber that more spark energy don't help.

The dyno also says that your other mods are really not doing much, except making your car loud.
I agree, just a lot of of hot air, number don't lie!

Maybe it's S/C time!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Thanks for doing the dyno. I'd already ordered a set and was planning on doing a street dyno (using software). Maybe the improvement you reported earlier was just due to replacing an old set of plugs with these new ones... or where the Iridiums you tested against your original plugs?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just an FYI guys, a lot of people on the mazda forums that run these in their Mazda 6, Mazda 3, Mazdaspeed3, and Mazdaspeed6 have had numerous plugs fail.

Last I counted, there were about 60 failed plugs out of the original 480 that were purchased in the GB.

12.5% is WAY too high of a failure rate for spark plugs...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Just an FYI guys, a lot of people on the mazda forums that run these in their Mazda 6, Mazda 3, Mazdaspeed3, and Mazdaspeed6 have had numerous plugs fail.

Last I counted, there were about 60 failed plugs out of the original 480 that were purchased in the GB.

^Yikes! Good to know!

·
Registered
166 Posts

hmmm 168.72 x 15% = 194 Crank HP

come on now, thats a nice gain :coolnana:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for doing the dyno. I'd already ordered a set and was planning on doing a street dyno (using software). Maybe the improvement you reported earlier was just due to replacing an old set of plugs with these new ones... or where the Iridiums you tested against your original plugs?
I dyno tested with the same original NGK Iridium plugs that I had prior to installing the Pulstar plugs - same showed in the photos. At time of testing, the original NGK plugs had about 1100 miles and Pulstar plugs had about 300 miles.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

Good to know. I will just send mine back unopened then.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
You didn't believe us in the last thread? lol.
I would of pulled my own car man card if these things would of made a bunch of power.

20,000 times more spark power!!!? Wow, that is laughable. Seems like that would melt your pistons out of the bores, lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pulstar dyno run

Hi Good2go,

I am the CEO of Enerpulse, Inc. the company that makes Pulstar and was very impressed with the thoroughness of your plug comparison. I also have a few questions:

1. What gap did you run on both plugs?
2. Is your engine stock or modified in any way?
3. Did you do 3 pulls with each plug and then average?
4. Did you remove the battery terminal during Pulstar installation?

Our test engineer, Nathan Kofahl ([email protected]) is a former Lotus owner and might have some insights into your test or opportunities to get more from Pulstar' extra power. Obviously they worked quite well considering we do not yet have our iridium version, but we would have expected another few horsepower.

All-in-all, good job.

dparker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good to know. I will just send mine back unopened then.
I am the CEO of Enerpulse, Inc. the maker of Pulstar and am very concerned with your statement that several of our plugs have failed in Mazdas. To my knowledge we have not been notified of this and certainly want to rectify this situation in any way can. Can you tell me who I might contact or have them contact me. [email protected]

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi Good2go,

I am the CEO of Enerpulse, Inc. the company that makes Pulstar and was very impressed with the thoroughness of your plug comparison. I also have a few questions:

1. What gap did you run on both plugs?
2. Is your engine stock or modified in any way?
3. Did you do 3 pulls with each plug and then average?
4. Did you remove the battery terminal during Pulstar installation?

Our test engineer, Nathan Kofahl ([email protected]) is a former Lotus owner and might have some insights into your test or opportunities to get more from Pulstar' extra power. Obviously they worked quite well considering we do not yet have our iridium version, but we would have expected another few horsepower.

All-in-all, good job.

dparker
Hi, I'm glad you, the company CEO, actually noticed my test and responded - very cool! To answer your questions:

1. I ran the same gap on both plugs - 0.040"
2. My N/A engine is completely stock with only aftermarket intake, headers, and exhaust.
3. I ran 3 pulls for each - there were printouts showing all three pulls for each - about same HP. I only took photo of the final result comparison which I believe is the average.
4. No, I did not disconnect the battery between tests. Would it make any difference?

I was hoping for some HP improvement also, however, I still believe that I felt more kicks with the Pulstarplugs. HP and Torque test results were about same from both plugs. However, the MPG is about the same if not slightly less with the Pulstarplugs.

Can you tell me and the rest of the forum about "the insights into my test or opportunities to get more from Pulstar' extra power."

BTW, did you redesign or update your website. I looks great, but I noticed some difference in numbers. Now it says "A new ignition device that replaces spark plugs and increases peak spark current by up to 10 times as compared to spark plugs." Previously didn't the the website and the picture brochure (in pic of my first post) stated that the sparks would "increases discharge power by up to 20,000 times" ??? Please explain the difference.

So did I win any free parting gift for spending my own money on an independent testing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry it took a little time to respond.

Depending on the ECU, disconneting the battery resets the computer so it can recognize a different spark event, otherwise the computer wants to lock in the previous driving conditions. Could make difference.

Sometimes we don't see large dyno gains, but feel more kick from Pulstar. We believe this is because Pulstar likes rich A:F ratios typcial of transients during hard shifting. Take a look at the low-end torque curve.

As to getting more our of Pulstar, I must confess that we don't know all the optimal running conditions for all 47,000 vehicles on our website, so experimenting with gap (no more than .045") and resetting the computer. If you have the capability to change fuel flow you will probably be rewarded.

Thanks for the comment on the website. Technically speaking Pulstar generates about 1 megawatt of power compared to a spark plug of only 50 watts. Do the math and that is a peak power of 20,000 times. Whereas physicists understand how this is possible, it seems incredible to many people and therefore had a tendancy to discredit the product...just too hard to understand. Others became concerned that that much power might hurt their engines. Of course, the power is highly compressed in a short period of time making that impossible. So, we decided to dumb down the claim. After all, by the time you get past 10X the power of spark plug, who cares? Both statements 10X and 20,000X are correct. The former requires less explaining. I would appreciate your perception on this issue.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
20,000 is different to 10, but upto 10 is different again, since up to includes 0 , spark times 0 is 0, and it also includes 1, which is nothing at all, if they are 20,000x stronger, them they'd never be lower than 10.

there are few modern day ecus that can be reset by removing the battery, they're nearly all flash memory based these days, the lotus is no different, i'm curious as to what aspect of the trims would want to be reset for this previous spark event to be cleared?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts