The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone shipped a car?

Im looking at having a vintage mini cooper shipped from Oregon to Louisville Kentucky.

Anyone shipped before? How much you think it would hurt my pocketbook? I guess I could drive it, but man! what a drive in such a small car.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI Jenn,
I've used horseless carriage a number of times. Exc. service, Passport's good as well. Trouble is, these covered companies are fairly expensive. It'd be cheaper probably if the car was going from a major west coast city to a major east coast city.

I'm guessing it'd be in the $1500 plus range. I shipped my Europa from San Francisco, here to Columbus in the early 80s and it was about a grand then.

You can go to the website and ask for a quote.

http://www.horselesscarriage.com/

Chris

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris, I may give them a call! I also dont know if I want this car or not...Im worried being so far away.

Is anyone on the board from Eugene Orgeon I wonder? Maybe they could look at it for me!?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Hi Jenn,
If I were you I'd definately feel better if someone could look at it first. Kind of hard to return a car shipped cross country that wasn't as described. Photos never really give they great a detail.

Chris

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, and this one *looks* great. Its a turbocharged 1300 mini.

I like it, but its also a good chunk of change and I dont want to get burned. To make matters worse apparently its a hot commodity and there are a few locals wanting it too.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Have an independent shop look it over to vouch for it's condition. (Tell the owner that you'll pay the shop fee via credit card to have the car looked over. )

For such a car, I wouldn't recommend an open transport. But an open transport from PA to CA cost me $1,200 using Dependable Auto Shippers. They got it to me fast and without incident, but the car was pretty filthy. I'm guessing enclosed transport (Horseless Carriage, etc.) will be closer to the $1,500 - 2,000 range.

Bob

·
Banned
901 Posts
Jenn:

RT's idea of getting it checked out before shipping is a good idea in case of any incidents.

I used Passport Transport to ship one of my Esprit from LA to St. Louis and the cost was right at $1,100. Coming across the desert not to mention 1/2 the USA, it's having the car enclosed.

Lotus Ltd. has a discount program with Passport for Lotus Ltd. members.

Mark Pfeffer

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I did it...I purchased it. Lord help me.

Here it is, gunmetal grey with silver cooper stripes and silver roof, right hand drive.

Its turbocharged too! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
We use HogHaulers and Dependable Auto Shippers. They both are great. We send cars all over the continent. Give me a call for phone #'s.

By the way you fence is on my property
;)

Let us know about your neighbors tree.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks for the links. This guy actually uses hog haulers all the time and its enclosed too so Im happy.

Here's my only worry, he wants full payment up front. He said I could call hog haulers and get info on him if I wanted. I just feel a little odd about sending a check for $14,000 to someone I dont know and only have met through an internet for sale ad.

And yep, I'll let everyone know the tree outcome. :) :clap:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'd fly out to Oregon to check the car/hand over the check. Maybe supervise the shipping, if time permitted. While folks make this kind of purchase over the 'net all the time, I'd be careful - it's a pain to get your money back if something's not right.

I realize making such a trip is inconvenient/costly, but we are talking about a pretty big chunk o' change.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Here's my only worry, he wants full payment up front. He said I could call hog haulers and get info on him if I wanted. I just feel a little odd about sending a check for $14,000 to someone I dont know and only have met through an internet for sale ad. :) :clap:
Jenn, why not throw him a grand to show 'good faith', then use an escrow?

He can verify the $$ is in place before shipping, make the terms simple, and is assured of his payment in short time. Worse case for you - only out 1K (+/– minor fees), not $14 large.

- Mike

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
OneFastMiata said:

Here it is, gunmetal grey with silver cooper stripes and silver roof, right hand drive.

:bow:

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
OneFastMiata said:

NICE! :)

I've wanted to buy one for quite some time... but I think the bike and the Elise (which may or may not arrive within the next decade) will be enough to keep me busy for now.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies. I would have answered but we had severe storms come through monday night and knock our power out. It was just restored an hour ago. I about died.

I purchased the car. My husband is flying out Saturday to Eugene to check it out before it's shipped. Its being shipped by Hog Haulers. I cant wait to get it!

I've gone from all japanese cars in the drive to all british!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts