The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im in the process of putting my car back together (91SE), and got to the point where I just put the aux shaft back in and oil pump in. During this I realized that I did not mark the aux shaft sprocket on where it was before I removed it. So my question is why does that even need to be marked in relation to the cams, and what is the way around setting it up seeing as I didn't mark it. Also I don't know if this would make a difference but I don't have a mechanical chargecooler pump on this car, so the only thing the aux shaft is driving is the oil pump. Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also i've read that if you swap the aux shaft sprocket and the intake cam sprocket you gain a little low end power. Now the way it is configured now the aux sprocket has a green dot, the intake sprocket a silver dot, and exhaust sprocket has a blue dot. Because the previous owner liked to "tinker" with this car alot I want to make sure that this is the "factory" way these came before I swap the intake and aux sprockets and then find out I put them back to factory. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Auxiliary Shaft Position

The auxiliary sprocket position is irrelevant on fuel injected cars like your SE. It is important on distributor driven cars because the distributor would be attached to the back of the shaft where your chargecooler pump is located. In that situation you need to have the distributor in the correct position relative to the cam sprockets. Doesn't apply once the distributor is gone. So when putting the cam belt back on don't fret over the auxiliary sprocket.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Go ahead and swap the green dot to the intake cam, will help a little but won't be a dramatic performance enhancement. The current intake cam dot should be blue but is probably silver due to the paint being worn off.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Minor correction -- the intake pulley is actually a red dot, blue is exhaust.

If you do swap the green dot pulley over from the aux shaft make sure you line up the IN and EX markings to match the orientation of the pulley you remove from the cam -- if you flip it around bad things will happen.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Be very glad you do not have a car with the aux. pulley to time, what a pain in the butt that is. If the distributor was in a better position where it could be spun 360 degrees it would not be an issue, but under the intake it can
only move slightly. So if your aux. pulley mark is not correct you are playing a guessing game to line it up. I have since made my own mark for reference but previously I tried to use the mark specific only to UK cars I guess and 18 degrees was the distributor advance tight against the oil filter. I changed my oil in the recent past and had to move the distributor, then the distributor came out of its perch, what a disaster that started.

I have a question, whats under there on distributorless cars, is that distributor hole just blocked off?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts