The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soemthing I have been meaning to ask you all is:

Are you supposed to have to depress the clutch pedal to be able to start your Esprit? I can start my car by just turning the key; don't have to depress the clutch at all.

Every manual car I have owned had this safety feature. My 93.5 Esprit does not. Maybe it was bypassed by the PO; maybe it was not a safety feature from Lotus. I thought it was a US DOT mandate though.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I don't have to press the clutch or brake to start my 98 V8. And I don't get any alerts when I am not wearing my seatbelt.

Maybe that's all part of the exemptions that Lotus was using to bring in the Esprits.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
No need to depress clutch (but I do) to start my 2010 Evora, so it is apparently not a U.S./safety mandated item. Many other, older, manual-equipped cars I have owned did include this clutch/ignition inter-lock.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting.

thanks for the reposnses. I think I have owned 5 other manual transmission cars in the previous 21 years, and they all had to have the clutch depressed to start them.

·
Less is Better
2,627 Posts
The Elise doesn't have a clutch switch either. Maybe Lotus thinks it's drivers are able to start a car without slamming into something.

I think this "idiot switch" was added in general some time after 1982, my Rx-7 doesn't have one. My 91 MR2 does, though.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
The Elise doesn't have a clutch switch either. Maybe Lotus thinks it's drivers are able to start a car without slamming into something.

I think this "idiot switch" was added in general to cars sold in the US some time after 1982, my Rx-7 doesn't have one. My 91 MR2 does, though.
I fixed that for you

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My wife started my lotus while it was in first gear, clutch engaged. The engine started, the car moved, and away we went.!!! I am not joking.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It could be that Lotus actually realizes that having the clutch depressed when you initially crank over a motor is a great way to have premature thrust issues (crank walk)

I disable the clutch switch on all my cars, and was happy to find I didn't need to on the Esprit

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
interesting.

thanks for the reposnses. I think I have owned 5 other manual transmission cars in the previous 21 years, and they all had to have the clutch depressed to start them.
I've owned at least 10 manual cars... none of them have had a clutch interlock :)

I did once drive a Hyundai and couldn't figure out how to start it for ages... it had one... what an annoying, interfering, useless addition to a car :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Soemthing I have been meaning to ask you all is:

Are you supposed to have to depress the clutch pedal to be able to start your Esprit? I can start my car by just turning the key; don't have to depress the clutch at all.

Every manual car I have owned had this safety feature. My 93.5 Esprit does not. Maybe it was bypassed by the PO; maybe it was not a safety feature from Lotus. I thought it was a US DOT mandate though.
It was not a US mandate in 1993.

My 2005 Elise has no starter/clutch interlock either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Negative on mine

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It could be that Lotus actually realizes that having the clutch depressed when you initially crank over a motor is a great way to have premature thrust issues (crank walk)

I disable the clutch switch on all my cars, and was happy to find I didn't need to on the Esprit
Yep - and the spigot/input shaft bearing is already an issue on the older G Esprits as it is.

No need to touch the clutch pedal unless you are changing gears.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts