The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It comes once a year. The day I have to put my toys away. It was a nice day today. I got some sunshine and despite our state's "freeze" we were able to take the long way and go out for a burger, go grab a beer, and get some food for BBQ tonight. Lots of thumbs up from other drivers and bikers. A few shouts from pedestrians and cyclists and then the inevitable last stop at the gas station to top up.

With a few ounces of Sta-bil in the tank, the wheels chocked, on a battery tender, and some mouse bait behind the tire, I can easily say that in spite of this year not being great, it was a really good driving season in the Lotus.

Already anxiously awaiting spring and some more driving.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
good points above.

Just some other things one can do

Clean the car and throw a cover on. Feels great to hop in a clean car when the time comes,

Pump up the tires to mitigate flat spots from a winter sit.

Use the down time to change the oil, clean the air filter, etc.

Reactions: FloppyKnockers

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
291 Posts
good points above.

Just some other things one can do

Clean the car and throw a cover on. Feels great to hop in a clean car when the time comes,

Pump up the tires to mitigate flat spots from a winter sit.

Use the down time to change the oil, clean the air filter, etc.
I had mine winterized for winter and then had about a 70 degree day today so I took it out for about a hour. I had lowered the PSI from 40 to the recommended specs (29 R and 26F) and then when I got back I checked the PSI and it was 35 Rear and about 30+- in the front.....SCIENCE. lol.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Same here Danny. It was actually sunny dry and 50 in the Seattle area today so took a nice hour long cruise. I love this car and couldn't help myself. It has literally been a couple months since my last romp in her. Always a smile and felt good driving the car again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My Elise has been put to bed for 6 weeks now. My garage is not sealed and I live in the country, so I have about a dozen mouse traps that I check every week or so. Collected about a dozen so far... time to check them again today. Fingers crossed none decide to invade the car..

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige S240
58 Posts
Nigel has been resting for 8 weeks already. I decided to put him up on jackstands and moved the wheels to the basement - the garage is heated, but we may turn it off for a few weeks if we can escape this place. Otherwise, the car was washed outside, cleaned inside, fueled up with a splash of Sta-bil, and maintainer connected to battery while battery was disconnected from the car.

I’ll take care of annual fluid changes over the winter and thinking about a few more tweaks (e.g. replace eBay wing with something a little better, get track pads / rotors for a few lapping days next year, etc.)

Cheers,
Bryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All,
I live in Colorado and have never put Sta-bil in my gas tank and I have never had any problems... but I can usually get it out once a month. Did I miss something in the owners manual? How long are you guys and gals storing your cars?

·
Less is Better
2,704 Posts
Nigel has been resting for 8 weeks already. I decided to put him up on jackstands and moved the wheels to the basement - the garage is heated, but we may turn it off for a few weeks if we can escape this place. Otherwise, the car was washed outside, cleaned inside, fueled up with a splash of Sta-bil, and maintainer connected to battery while battery was disconnected from the car.

View attachment 1274823

I’ll take care of annual fluid changes over the winter and thinking about a few more tweaks (e.g. replace eBay wing with something a little better, get track pads / rotors for a few lapping days next year, etc.)

Cheers,
Bryan
Any concerns with storing the suspension at full droop? I have read that it's better for the shocks and bushings to be at ride height.

·
Less is Better
2,704 Posts
Hi All,
I live in Colorado and have never put Sta-bil in my gas tank and I have never had any problems... but I can usually get it out once a month. Did I miss something in the owners manual? How long are you guys and gals storing your cars?
Gasoline oxidizes slowly. But it generally takes more than a year for modern pump gas to get to the point that it won't combust anymore. If what you're doing now works for you, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's going to be stored for longer you might want to consider it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gasoline oxidizes slowly. But it generally takes more than a year for modern pump gas to get to the point that it won't combust anymore. If what you're doing now works for you, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's going to be stored for longer you might want to consider it.
Thanks! I still doubt I have read through the entire owners manual and I just take my car to the dealer when it is time for a service. It gives me a chance to go look at other cars without feeling too guilty!

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
291 Posts
Dont these vehicles ecus throw codes if the battery is removed from the ECU for to long?

·
Less is Better
2,704 Posts
Dont these vehicles ecus throw codes if the battery is removed from the ECU for to long?
Never heard of that. Cars with more complicated electronics might act weird when the battery ls low, but removed, I think nothing goes on.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
291 Posts

Although maybe taken off safely its not a issue

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige S240
58 Posts
Any concerns with storing the suspension at full droop? I have read that it's better for the shocks and bushings to be at ride height.
Good question! Hopefully not - at least there’s not the weight of the wheels pulling down, but it will have the bushings rotated for an extended time (assuming they were installed at ride height in the first place).

Fortunately, I’ve just ordered a set of hub stands to help with some suspension / alignment work over the winter, so it can sit on those going forward. Now I just have to find some scales and levelers - my floor is probably level-ish, but that’s not okay for my OCD.

Cheers,
Bryan

·
Less is Better
2,704 Posts
Do you guys still start the car once in a while? or its long term storage at this point for the winter?
If you're going to store the car over the winter it's best not to start it. The oil never really warms up long enough and accumulates moisture, which in turn contributes to internal corrosion.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
820 Posts
Do you guys still start the car once in a while? or its long term storage at this point for the winter?
I only start it if I need to test something or I'm going to drive it. If it has sat for more than a month, take the fuel pump fuse out and crank the engine until the oil pressure light goes out before starting it.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
291 Posts
I start it every Saturday and let it get up to operating temperature and just stare at it.

Reactions: goelise

·
He's on fire!
3,293 Posts
Good question! Hopefully not - at least there’s not the weight of the wheels pulling down, but it will have the bushings rotated for an extended time (assuming they were installed at ride height in the first place).

Fortunately, I’ve just ordered a set of hub stands to help with some suspension / alignment work over the winter, so it can sit on those going forward. Now I just have to find some scales and levelers - my floor is probably level-ish, but that’s not okay for my OCD.

Cheers,
Bryan
The weight of the wheels doesn't pull them down much, the dampers force maximum rotation. I wouldn't leave it like that for a long time personally. Bushings are enough of a pain to change that if want to keep it out as far as possible. Also, levelers are a requirement. Is amazing the difference even a millimeter our two out of plane make on the scales.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: bbursey
1 - 20 of 26 Posts