The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RAINCLOUD MOVING THROUGH LA WEST TO EAST!!!

I just got 4 or 5 minute of rain in...YES IN...ROOF WAS OFF.... my Exige...!!!!!

HURRY FRIENDS COVER THOSE BABIES!!

Anyone make a "top" only cover?

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I guess I'm glad it rained, to be honest. I've had the top off my Exige for about 2 weeks straight now....sometimes I forget to put on sunscreen, so my forehead gets a bit burnt on my lunch drives down to the beach to eat.

Also, at night..it's a bit chilly when I leave work and the heater doesn't get warm to quickly...

UGH!:eek:

Maybe I should start a blog, so people can follow along with me, my car and our DIRE situation here in SoCal!!!!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It is really sad I just spent a couple hours washing my car yesterday and I do not have in door parking :(

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear ya dude....I HEAR YA.

I'm gonna have to actuallY WASH my car now, instead of just a little detail "fix'r'up" like I usually can do most of the summer.

oh well....we all pay a price....we....all.....pay.....a.......price (dramatic music)

:panic:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I got caught in an absolute deluge once in my Elise. I had just taken my hard top off and thought for sure my soft top was in the trunk. It was quite an entertaining dash for home. Here is a reprint of my original post:

So, I am sitting in my office around 3:20 PM or so and look out my window to see a rapidly darkening sky. A couple of other guys in the office start heading out to put their tops and windows up and call for me. I quickly pull up the "map in motion" radar on the weather.com website and see this fast moving band heading straight for us. It had lots of red and orange (HEAVY rain). Another guy stops by and says I better hurry, to which I chuckle rotfl and reply "I am just waiting to the very last minute." So I start to mosey on down to my car and it is just starting to sprinkle. People are scrambling all about to secure their tops, windows and sunroofs. I cooly slip my hand in my pocket to fish out my keys. Pulling the keys out, I smile at the others darting about. :) I slip the key into the trunk latch and pop it open. I casually glance down to pull the top out and a cold chill runs through my body.... MY TOP IS NOT THERE! :eek: I look back up and notice the general panic of everyone else has subsided, while MY panic was just beginning. :wallbang: Someone next to me notices I have suddenly gone pale and asks what is wrong. I could only manage to blurt out "NO TOP!" :crazyeyes After which I jumped in my car (literally - I didn't even open the door) and took off out of the parking lot... figuring I am only a couple of miles from home, maybe, just maybe I can make it. I had just turned out of the parking lot and onto the main street when the winds started to roar and the rain started to pour. I make it about half a mile to the first intersection and the light turns RED. :( I stop, it is just dumping buckets of rain and I am getting soaked... even worse, my Lotus is getting soaked! I sit there for an eternity, considering my options. I consider what is around that may offer cover (banks drive-thrus, gas stations, car washes). The light turns green, I start to move again, the rain begins to sting my eyes and face as my speed increases. I shove my face forward toward the windshield, seeking shelter from the driving rain. My windshield begins to fog (HEAVILY). I scramble to operate the A/C controls, diverting maximum flow to the windshield vents. All the cars are moving slowly, I begin to wonder what others around me are thinking. Are they thinking "what a fool, doesn't he know it is raining" :thwack: , are they thinking "ha ha ha, serves him right for driving a Lotus" -poke- , but then it dawns on me... they probably can't even see me because it is raining THAT HARD. Forward progress continues, I think about the other stoplights ahead of me and decide to turn down some side roads, knowing a route to my house with no more stoplights. I work my way through the back roads, trying to balance the speed of my car. Keeping it as fast as possible to maximize the water diverting effect of the windshield, but slow enough to maintain control of my 50% worn A048's on roads with unimaginable amounts of water sheeting across them. As I near my neighborhood, I begin to feel ever so slightly relieved. I take a final left and have about a quarter of a mile to go. I just have to make a right on to my street and I will be home. As I begin to setup for this final right hand turn, I notice something ahead that doesn't look right. It is hard to make out in the driving rain, but it appears something is in the road. As I get closer, I realize a tree has fallen across the road! I feel the panic starting to build again... I come right up to where the tree is. Never stopping, I quickly begin to evaluate the situation. In a fraction of a second, I estimate the diameter of the tree, the angle at which it lays across the road and how far it extends to each side. I factor in the distance from the side of the road to the ditch, the amount of drop from the pavement to the shoulder and the angle at which the shoulder drops off and into the ditch. My split second calculations lead me to believe that I have a 78.32% chance of making it around the left hand side of the this tree. What other choice do I have? The odds are good. I head across into the other lane (no cars coming), two wheels off the left side of the road and two wheels barely on, I keep my momentum up and dance my way through the mess. Emerging on the other side, I take my right, head down the street and into my garage, the garage where both my hard and soft tops were sitting.... nice and dry! HOME SWEET HOME! :eek:

By the way... did anyone know that the cup holder between the seats can actually hold water without even needing a cup in it??? In Psalm 23:5 it says "...my cup runneth over." Well, today my cup holder runneth over!!! :D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
RAINCLOUD MOVING THROUGH LA WEST TO EAST!!!

I just got 4 or 5 minute of rain in...YES IN...ROOF WAS OFF.... my Exige...!!!!!

HURRY FRIENDS COVER THOSE BABIES!!

Anyone make a "top" only cover?
Actually, this is some funky warm tropical system, which appears to be moving EAST to WEST! (unlike the typical winter systems that come in from the coast).

Haven't quite seen any here in Sherman Oaks tho.

So what exactly is the purpose of those "top only" covers? are they for people who don't have soft-tops to stash in their trunks? (or.."boots")

or are they just used as covers because some peoples soft-tops leak so badly?

·
Banned
874 Posts
any1 have weather alerts on their phone?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well I hope theres waves let me go check the LOLA report ( crosses fingers ). We haven't had a good south swell in a while :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts