The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not me, I just came across this and thought it was interesting.

Jump to 1:10 in this video.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,843 Posts
Looks like someone may have some minor clam damage...

It is also interesting to me how car enthusiasts just love cutting corners while driving on the street to presumably hit the race line and because racecar? I went on a group drive this past fall on the Dragon and my wife noted that I was the only car in the group that didn't cross any lines. Why? Safety obviously, but also it makes it more of a challenge and it is funny that the Exige still had no problems keeping up with all the other cars who were cutting the corners!

·
Administrator
4,013 Posts
Idiots! It's that kind of driving especially with photographers recording it all that bring the heat to the great roads. I read where the cops will hand out tickets for crossing the line in some of these popular spots and will just sit there waiting for the next one.

Reactions: 6TVRs+

·
Registered
2007 Elise - Polar Blue
99 Posts

It is also interesting to me how car enthusiasts just love cutting corners while driving on the street to presumably hit the race line and because racecar? I went on a group drive this past fall on the Dragon and my wife noted that I was the only car in the group that didn't cross any lines. Why? Safety obviously, but also it makes it more of a challenge and it is funny that the Exige still had no problems keeping up with all the other cars who were cutting the corners!
This is specially true because the lane has lines - what would be the difference if you coned off that lane? These dummies are like "it's faster if you just go across the grass!"

·
Registered
2007 Elise - Polar Blue
99 Posts
That's a lot of bad driving. It made me laugh when the driver of the Elise hit the horn. The horn on that steering wheel is in a bad place.
nothing like looking like a dork with a little "hermph" to add insult to injury. Hope it was worth the $5k!

·
Registered
2005 Elise
131 Posts

I take mine out to the dragon and surrounding area every fall with a decent sized group of friends. We are all very clear on the do not cross any lines, yellow or white, but the amount of people that try to "apex" on the road is crazy!

·
Registered
06 Lotus Exige
52 Posts
It made me laugh when the driver of the Elise hit the horn. The horn on that steering wheel is in a bad place.
I did a car control clinic a couple weeks ago and kept accidentally hitting the horn 😭
might need to disable it, upgrade to a horn that will actually get attention, and put the button somewhere else

·
Registered
566 Posts
I dont really get why Mulhulland is so 'great'. Been there several times in the Elise and Evora and there are better roads near by. Like Latigo and Old Topanga Canyon. Guess its a wide open road so its not so bad when you run out of talent straight away.

·
Registered
604 Posts
:rolleyes:
I found the more serious I got about in driving competitively, the less aggressive I drove on the streets...
Was never fully sure why, but among some reasons:
People on track usually have more attention to their driving, even if skill varies.
I get into a "red mist competitive mode" and I realized not safe to do on the streets as I found my tires were fresh, I had some prep, and enough trophies to prove I had some decent skills to back it up. I was worried of the severe damage by the time I had gone too far.

When I watched a car behind me trying to keep up with me in a long sweeping on ramp "lose it" while I was on my Autocross tires and shoot up a hill into the bushes, I decided to greatly curtail my "street" exploits.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT, Metallic Racing Green
79 Posts
+1 for Latigo. Just found it the other day after looking on Google maps while looking for a good spot to turn up into canyons off PCH.

All those roads see a fair amount of bicyclists though so pretty dangerous to get going too quick.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Overlook on Mulholland. I know it well. Beautiful place and beautiful road, but often Ground Zero for stupid people and SQUIDS. I've even seen some a-hole skateboarders block off the road so they could turn it into their own private playground. Bong hits, anyone?

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
When my uncle gave me my first driving lesson, age 15, we were on the Blue Ridge Parkway. “See those lines? Ignore them!” His country way of saying “turn in, apex, track out”

That was 50 years ago when we basically owned the roads, so few folks compared to now. Roads like the Dragon were how we got from place to place, and on the many gravel roads we learned to drift.

Different times by far, but I figure there must be some places like that still out there.

As 6 TVRs+ said, tracking makes a huge difference helping us be easy on the street.

I don’t drive like track on the street, but sure do “take the racing line” from time to time, regardless of the vehicle. Just gotta pick the time and place. Sometimes it’s the safest way.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When my uncle gave me my first driving lesson, age 15, we were on the Blue Ridge Parkway. “See those lines? Ignore them!” His country way of saying “turn in, apex, track out”
A buddy of mine used to say, "You see those yellow lines. Think of them as a brick wall."

But I get what you're saying. :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Cutting corners is always a controversial topic. My view, dont cut double yellow lines or obviously corners you cant see around. Ive always thought of solid lines as them saying "this area is deceiving, it may seem ok but we know something you dont".
But for corners you can see around or see through theres not reason not to take the easiest straightest line. It smooths out the driving and is actually arguably safer for many reasons.

That particular Mulhuland corner is deceiving. Youre going up hill then it levels out and dips in. So people understeer on it all the time, or it pulls them into the left lane. Just driving too fast on a road you dont know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What exactly happened in the video? It looks like the driver just slammed the brakes for no reason, lost traction, and slid into the guard rail.

·
Administrator
4,013 Posts
Around here when you come around a blind corner you have to be prepared for anything. There may or may not be lines in the road but there also may be farm tractors, combines, deer, hunting dogs or idiots in the road along with an approaching car. Sane speeds, fast acting and knowing your car are all important especially if there's a steep drop-off into a deep water and mud filled ditch.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
I am fortunate to live in a fantastic area for backroad country driving. All kinds of terrain, elevation and very low traffic areas. Just plain beautiful. But behind every corner is a tractor, deer, kid on a bike or someone just walking along the road. I typically drive the speed limit (except in the corners) and just enjoy the ride and the sublime handling of the Lotus. No speed racer on the road for me and NEVER cross the line. After 9 years of track events, I know what 10/10ths driving is all about. And the track is the only place that should every happen.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Many years I was active in the RX-7 community and regularly attended a rotary event at the Tail of the Dragon as well as many other club drives on twisty mountain roads here in Western NC... and, of course, this very topic came up about crossing the double yellow line on the mountains and I'll say here what I said there many many years ago:

If you are going out to drive the curves, why are you trying to straighten them out by taking the widest arc possible?

Aside from just that, I've heard all types reasons when it's "safe" to crossing the line - "I only do it when I can see what's coming..." or "it's safer at night because you can see headlight coming..." just to recall 2...

I've seen the pace that some folks can keep on various roads and it's like the glitch/teleporting of Vanellope von Schweetz from Wreck-It Ralph!!! One moment they are 5 curves away and a blink later they are passing you... hell, just for fun, think about taking your best lap on a track, now imagine driving the reverse direction during that best lap and consider how well either of you would "see what's coming"...

I lost a my first Exige to an idiot in a Nissan 240 who didn't know how to stay in his lane on the mountain... at night!!!

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
theres not reason not to take the easiest straightest line.
Why seek a curvy road just to illegally make it straight? And just because you think there isn't a car or motorcycle coming doesn't make you right, and the risk to them is absolutely never worth it. And if you are going so fast that you must cut into the oncoming lane, slow down. I fully get driving quickly on roads like the Dragon, but I always try to keep the risk to myself. No sense in risking other peoples' lives.

Re-reading your post, it sounds like you aren't familiar with the Tail of the Dragon and roads like that around Appalachia. It has full double yellow for the entire road, not just in corners. There are some totally unmarked roads, and I'll concede that those are fair game to cut a little wide on but because they are also typically narrower. Dotted line is also fair game to cut wide because the state has deemed it to have good enough visibility to do so. On the dragon though, there is absolutely never an excuse to cross the lines and we all get a bit touchy about it. The cops only allow the tourism of the road to exist as long as everyone plays by the rules, and crossing the double yellow is rule #1 and #2.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts