The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil and filter on my Elise about two weeks ago. Since then I keep smelling oil like I have a leak or something. When I first smelled the odor I removed the engine inspection plate underneath and made sure I had no leaks at the drain plug and oil filter. All was good there so I also checked out the oil cooler lines going to the sandwich plate. Still no luck finding anything. I still smell the odor so I raised the front end and pulled the fender liners on both sides and inspected the cooler lines from the bulkhead forward including the cross over line between the coolers and yet still no luck finding any signs of a leak. So now I am here looking for suggestions on other places to look. Also, when I checked my oil I did slightly overfill the oil. (just barely over the full mark)

Any ideas would be appreciated as I have not found any leaks of any kind.........

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
If you smell it, it's leaking (or you spilled some oil) on the exhaust header. If you didn't spill any, check the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Did you change the brand or viscosity of your oil?
I noticed the difference in Mobil 1 to Castrol Syntec. The Castrol is so free flowing that the drip of oil left in the threads of the oil bottle will flow out and down the sides while sitting on the shelf. The Castrol can microscopically ease out where the Mobil 1 would not. A small area of a gasket can allow enough oil to mist out for an oil smell without it being a significant amount at all. This isn't a leak or a drip, it is a superfine dispersal that only leaves a bare residue like an aerosol.

Not a scientific sample, but I noticed this on my last couple of oil changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts