The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The universe doesn't hang in balance here, but this has been puzzling me for some time now.

So here's the quandry boys and girls:
This bag of ice melt salt has been sitting in this same spot since it was used last winter. For the past several weeks, maybe months, there is a puddle of water under it. The puddle is ALWAYS there. It might ebb and flow a bit but not much. There is NO water source anywhere near it. Water is not flowing there from any place else. I am completely stumped by this.:shrug:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what the numbers are but it's been anywhere from muggy to very comfortable. Temps ranging from 50-60 at night to 75-85 during the day. The puddle stays the same wheteher it's cool and dry or hot and humid.

Edit: I wonder if it's sucking the moisture out of the concrete. I'll try moving it to a different spot and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...pour a cup of water onto your doormat - where does it go?..if that door's as trafficed as the debris suggests, i suspect that might be the local low point on your slab...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...pour a cup of water onto your doormat - where does it go?..if that door's as trafficed as the debris suggests, i suspect that might be the local low point on your slab...
But that would suggest water is flowing to it and it's not. That mat does need a good shaking out though.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Are you sure it is water? Maybe an animal is taking a leak on it:shrug:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Perhaps it absorbed water while it was cold out and now that it is warm, the water is coming out?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps it absorbed water while it was cold out and now that it is warm, the water is coming out?
I would think just the opposite as the humidity is low when it's cold. I have a humidity and temp gauge next to it now - gotta give it time to stabilize. Currently 73F and 49%RH

I have thought about tasting it to make sure it really is water, but I'm sure it would be salty either way.:D

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
perhaps condensation is forming on the outside of the bag when the temperature swings from cold to hot

I think salt has a pretty high specific heat(maybe I am thinking of just sodium) which would make sure it stayed cool when temps start to rise

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
But that would suggest water is flowing to it and it's not.
...all the flotsam in your puddle suggests otherwise; it could be dew accumulation on the floormat, moisture tracked off shoes, etcet...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting...........there are small droplets of condensation on the top of the bag where there is no salt. Perfectly dry down where the salt is.
Now 72F and 54% RH.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
not sure about the spelling, but it's called efflorescence....
the salt picks up water vapor from the atmosphere and melts, dischargeing water.
it's a problem in numerous chemicals.
i take it that the bag is not totally airtight.
sam

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I stored a wood table under my bed for several years. The house was built on a concrete slab. When I pulled he table out, some of the edge-glued boards had come unglued and warped slightly. I figure moisture in the ground had diffused through the concrete and the into the wood.

Try moving the bag to a different location or put a tray under it to see if that makes a difference.

The water has to come from either the slab or the air. Isolating the bag from the slab should give you a partial answer to your question.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I stored a wood table under my bed for several years. The house was built on a concrete slab. When I pulled he table out, some of the edge-glued boards had come unglued and warped slightly. I figure moisture in the ground had diffused through the concrete and the into the wood.

Try moving the bag to a different location or put a tray under it to see if that makes a difference.

The water has to come from either the slab or the air. Isolating the bag from the slab should give you a partial answer to your question.
That was exactly what I was going to do. But I think Zammy nailed it - the salt is absorbing moisture from the air, melting from it, then not being able to retain as much water and is giving it back up.

Now at 68F and 68% RH.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
That was exactly what I was going to do. But I think Zammy nailed it - the salt is absorbing moisture from the air, melting from it, then not being able to retain as much water and is giving it back up.

Now at 68F and 68% RH.
And, remember salt will absorb more water at a higher temperature then give it back when it gets cooler. How much easier is it to get sugar or salt to dissolve in a hot liquid then a cold one.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
New set up. Swabbed up the puddle. I'll see what the morning brings.
My guess is the water will be wicked away by the crate and evaporate before reaching the floor

·
Registered
552 Posts
Same thing happens to me with a partially used (open) bag of this stuff. Eventually the individual crystals will fuse together and form a big useless lump. Seal up the bag or throw it away now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts