The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a pyrometer to more accurately set up my 911 for time trial and DE events. I will also use it on the Elise, though there are virtually no chassis tuning/swaybar adjustment/brake bias opportunities available.

Does anyone have any experience with pyrometers? Do you find them useful or a gimmick? If you would recommend them, which ones do you prefer? I am aware of Longacre and Intercomp. Do you prefer the digital memory type +/- $400 or the simple digital +/- $140?

Thanks for your input.
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
I had a 4 tire Longacre memory type. Worked fine, but I didn't use it very much and sold it a year ago.

I have a couple of IR pyrometers I use which for my purpose are close enough. Most people will talk to your about skin cooling and penetration and such. But as soon as you pull off the track, you are cooling and what you are really looking for is the difference from tire to tire and from inside/center/outside of each tire.

I find for most track days, my hand across the tires gives a rough but quick feedback of what is happening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,078 Posts
I use them.
infra red for tires, only if the pit is close or I can sneak it into the car.
because of the cooling it is better to use the in- tread probe type for tires.
m.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
The pyrometer is a great tool when used properly as part of a larger setup development plan. We spend hours and hours at the track testing and tuning. The temps are a key factor in setup tuning. We have a setup book for every track we race at and have specific setups for each one based on temps / lap times / driver feedback / etc. We race in a spec class where every little ounce makes a difference. I need to be able to continue to beat the young, talented bastards nipping at my tail. ;)

Ara
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
Anyone know if the Elise will have wireless tire pressure sending units in each wheel? ("pressure monitoring system", etc)

The reason I ask is that the ones Infiniti uses (Schrader) might also transmit the air temperature in the tire as well. It wouldn't be as accurate or responsive as a real pyrometer, but hey, if it's there..
 

·
insert clever title here
Joined
·
7,702 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Anyone know if the Elise will have wireless tire pressure sending units in each wheel? ("pressure monitoring system", etc)
I'm under the impression that it WILL have a pressure monitoring system, but that instead of a separate sensor in each tire, it will use the 'inferred' method, whereby data from the ABS wheel speed sensors is used to determine if a wheel is rotating at a slower speed and thus, underinflated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
MattG said:
it will use the 'inferred' method, whereby data from the ABS wheel speed sensors is used to determine if a wheel is rotating at a slower speed and thus, underinflated.
Which is yet another reason for the inclusion of ABS.

I've also read that ABS is now mandatory for all European car - This true?

Tim Mullen
 

·
insert clever title here
Joined
·
7,702 Posts
TimMullen said:
I've also read that ABS is now mandatory for all European car - This true?
I don't think so, though I think it *will* be mandatory in the near future. Likewise, isn't a tire pressure warning system mandatory on US cars sometime in the next few years?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
That's what I've heard. My understanding is that it is in reaction to the whole Explorer/Firestone fiasco from a few years ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
TimMullen said:
I've also read that ABS is now mandatory for all European car - This true?
Yes. All EU type-approved cars in europe are now required to have ABS as of 01-July-2004

Only cars with a single-vehicle approval (aka. self-built or very small manufacturers producing very small numbers of cars like TVR and Caterham) are still exempt from this rule. Probably will be required for these cars in the near future as well though.

Bye, Arno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
MattG said:
Likewise, isn't a tire pressure warning system mandatory on US cars sometime in the next few years?
I thought that ruling became effective on 2005 Model Year cars...

Tim Mullen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,078 Posts
MattG said:
I'm under the impression that it WILL have a pressure monitoring system, but that instead of a separate sensor in each tire, it will use the 'inferred' method, whereby data from the ABS wheel speed sensors is used to determine if a wheel is rotating at a slower speed and thus, underinflated.


Hopefully the ABS ECU can figure out what is going on if BOTH tires across an axle line have a change in rotational speed, ie, the computer does not compare against a stored value/range for the factory boots.
If the latter, there will be trouble.
m.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top