The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're going for about 25-30k on eBay these days... worth considering. I know there are some awful design characteristics on these things, but I was thinking for a few k $$$ one could mod one to look pretty sporty.

Here's what it looks like stock:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Simply adding a front lip, fixing the screwed up rear wheel well (w/ 19" wheel to replace the stock 18"), and modifying the side vents does a lot for the look of this thing. Some new lenses on the tail lights and a nicer looking front grill would complete the look.

Here's my Qool Qvale:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
zvezdah1 said:
no amount of money in the world will make that thing look good, IMHO
LOL !! Sorta true. For 10k, I have a guy who'll mold an entire new front and rear end in fiberglass. All I'd have to do is design it! :-D It's kinda like that show "extreme makeover" ;)

PS: Is that saying "can't polish a toad" ?? Why'd you ** out "t**d" ??? :confused: :D

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I think it looks much nicer in convertible mode or whatever they call it. That back section of windshield folds down. I don't like the front air dam. I've heard of people supercharging these to make pretty fast cars. I'd have a hard time getting past the Ford heater controls and buttons inside. Might as well buy an SVT Cobra for less money.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I think you're making it look worse, IMO. Now you're taking a (to me) dated design and adding bling. The first thing I thought of when I looked at it was a riced up '91 Accord.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL, I know... it's not going the way I want it to. I was adding the air dam for needed aerodynamics, and at the same time, I was trying to add some continuity to the lines of the car. Unfortunately, I've had limited success.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The front is ugly, the side is ugly, the rear is ugly, the interior has cheapo/ugly Ford controls and gauges, the supersized steering wheel looks like it came out of a Taurus, the curb weight is 3352 lbs.... hmm, what do I like? It's got a cool Infiniti-like clock in the center of the dash. :p

To me, that's a lot that needs to be modified. Even without the money to modify everything, for $30k, there are many good cars you can get brand new that look a lot better than this unmodified.

Besides, do you really want to look like that idiot in that commercial who floors it at the light in front of the cop hidden by an SUV? ;)

If you really want a Ford, you might as well get the new Mustang coming out next week. For $25k, you can get the 300hp V8 GT. It's a huge improvement, inside and outside, over the current crappy Mustang.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I've always thought the Qvale Mangusta was hideous in pictures, but every time I've seen them at FVMC. they've been pretty nice looking. I think they're a great choice for a daily driver at the prices they're going for now, but they were never worth $85k, IMO.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
Yep. Here's an article on the prototype right after they bought Mangusta:
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/3_09_rov.htm

They've really sexed it up even further now.
Thanks, it's a remarkable improvement on looks. Cost prohibitive, but it's a roundabout way of owning a new MG by re-skinning an old Magnusta. They mention the US market twice in that article (dated 2001.) Not having heard much about the X80, I'm thinking we're not getting it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts