The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing a Halloway UN-1 upgrade and decided to add the Quaife ATB. I was under the impression that they were no longer available. Wrong. They are, however, no distributors for the QDF5M (V8 Esprit) in the USA. GTO Motorsports in the UK is the exclusive distrubutor for the QDF5M. Price with shipping to USA $1,270.50.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The prices sure have gone up. It is now 729 pounds and 65 pounds for shipping, the exchange rate of 1.6 does not help either!

I will do my own upgrade.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I bought mine back in 2004 direct from Quaife America... It was $1395 USD plus shipping. It was also noted that they don't recommend Redline gearlube with their diff... stating it just doesn't work well with their ATB diff. At one point, Larry at Add lightness Motorsports managed the sole import (USA) for the Quaife unit used in the UN-1, but perhaps that business is no more. Wayne, take some pics if you get the chance.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kevin,

This is the response I received from Lee at GTO, I will continue to use Red Line MT-90:

Hi Wayne,

The QUAIFE ATB Differential does not require any special lubricants.
When running QUAIFE gearbox internals and a QUAIFE ATB differential we recommend FuchsTitan SYN5 75W90.
For a QUAIFE ATB differential, running in a rear axle use a hypoid 90 or 75W90, as above.
For those applications that will accept a GL5 or SAE75W90 gear oil, we recommend and sell Silkolene SYN5 75W90 gear oil. We use Silkolene in all our own QUAIFE racing transmissions.

In reality, any good quality gear oil is fine.

Thanks

Kevin/Lee Jones

GTO Racing Ltd.
Scarletts Farm
Scarletts Lane
Hare Hatch
Berkshire, RG10 9XE

·
My car sneezes
606 Posts
Speaking of lubes, I installed a magnetic drain plug when I installed the Holloway\Quaife upgrade. After the 1st oil change, I noticed quite a bit of metal dust on the plug. I didn't think much of it since I figured it was break-in dust. Then Kevin, Floobydust, got me thinking that maybe MT-90 isn't the best for Quaife.

I just drained the fluid on my trans again and there was lots of dust again; more than I like. That got me thinking and looked up MT-90 on Red Line's site. Here's what is said:

MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears
Isn't the crown wheel & pinion a hypoid gear? If so, why are we using MT-90?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm fairly certain it is not a hypoid gear setup, rather it is a spiral bevel gear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts