The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Same here, I'd wait until you have a need to remove the rear clam for a service before getting this done.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Pros: Improved handling all the time...
Cons: some added diff noise especially at low speed turns but still not that big of deal.

Since you would be pulling the tranny off anyway I would upgrade the clutch and flywheel at the same time.

·
Illegal Alien
5,352 Posts
I think I posted on the other thread .. the Evora's electronic differential (at least Sport package cars) is purde damn good. If yours aint broke, I would not plan to replace it unless you are building a 100% track car; even then get input from VSA.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
I think I posted on the other thread .. the Evora's electronic differential (at least Sport package cars) is purde damn good. If yours aint broke, I would not plan to replace it unless you are building a 100% track car; even then get input from VSA.
I don't think that the Sport Package is really an Electronic Differential. Rather, the ECU just selectively applies the brake to the offending wheel, that has lost traction and is sensed as rotating faster. So, overall, it is just indirectly slowing you down, rather than adding that torque to the opposite wheel. This is a very commonly used system now days.

·
Illegal Alien
5,352 Posts
I don't think that the Sport Package is really an Electronic Differential. Rather, the ECU just selectively applies the brake to the offending wheel, that has lost traction and is sensed as rotating faster. So, overall, it is just indirectly slowing you down, rather than adding that torque to the opposite wheel. This is a very commonly used system now days.
You are correct, that while it is called an EDL it is using the ABS system to slow a wheel down and is now commonly used in many cars including Ferrari. It is not really slowing you down as the open diff. then speeds up the un-braked wheel transfering torque to it. Now a problem area, at least of lessor cars using this type system, is that after a few laps the rear brakes are overheated leading to fade and thus loss of the LSD and some braking capability.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
You are correct, that while it is called an EDL it is using the ABS system to slow a wheel down and is now commonly used in many cars including Ferrari. It is not really slowing you down as the open diff. then speeds up the un-braked wheel transfering torque to it. Now a problem area, at least of lessor cars using this type system, is that after a few laps the rear brakes are overheated leading to fade and thus loss of the LSD and some braking capability.
Great explanation.
I was referring to the torque transfer, when launching out of a corner full throttle and "spinning" the inner rear wheel. Applying the brake to that wheel does not add that lost torque to the outside wheel, like a conventional Quaife Torque Biasing Diff.
Interesting thought about overheating the rear brakes, with an EDL System. I've never driven a car with them on the track. My Bobsy has a conventional Quaife Biasing diff.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
they're pretty common in even high end cars now. Many are quite effective. The 12C uses a similar system (and on the fronts too as necessary) to "brake steer" and doesn't plan to ever offer a true LSD...and the general consesnsus is it doesn't need one.

Good systems work well. Some systems (the Focus ST) can be overworked as Julian alluded too and lead to brake fade after awhile.

·
Illegal Alien
5,352 Posts
Great explanation.
I was referring to the torque transfer, when launching out of a corner full throttle and "spinning" the inner rear wheel. Applying the brake to that wheel does not add that lost torque to the outside wheel, like a conventional Quaife Torque Biasing Diff.
Interesting thought about overheating the rear brakes, with an EDL System. I've never driven a car with them on the track. My Bobsy has a conventional Quaife Biasing diff.
While I could well be wrong it is that application that I believe torque is transferred to the outside wheel with grip. This is due to "locking" the spinning wheel thus power goes through the open differential to the loaded wheel, really no different than the clutch plates in a traditional LSD binds the free wheel. I did hours of lapping on the Hethel test track and I) though the car acted as with an LSD and ii) experienced no brake fade.

`

·
694 Posts
Dusting off this thread as the Evora 400 will have an LSD instead of a differential lock. What will be the advantage of the LSD over the current system (other than on a track I guess)? Is there any speed limit keeping the current differential lock from working?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Dusting off this thread as the Evora 400 will have an LSD instead of a differential lock. What will be the advantage of the LSD over the current system (other than on a track I guess)? Is there any speed limit keeping the current differential lock from working?
Here is a link to get you started. A primer on differentials.......
Differentials (Open, LSD and so on)

Of note, if Lotus will be using a geared LSD (Quaiffe, Torsen, or other) I wonder if they will in line it with the current EDL; may be the best combination for the cars intended street use......

·
694 Posts
Good reference for my education thanks. Evo is reporting that the new Evora will have a Quaife LSD.

My question was more about how different it will feel driving the Evora with an LSD vs the current system on a typical spirited drive. Or another way of thinking about it is under which conditions we expect the LSD to make a significant difference compared to the existing system for the Evora.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
I put a Quaife in my Esprit SE, after having driven it with the standard open diff for years. I made the decision to intall the Quaife after driving my car back to back with a friend's Esprit X180-R, which has a ZF clutch type LSD as standard.

The Quaife LSD made a huge difference in the rear grip of the car, with no apparent added understeer! The ZF diff in the X180-R did ad quite a bit of slow speed understeer in my opinion.

The Quaife in my car really allows you to turn tighter, or even adjust your attitude mid corner with throttle, where my inside wheel would just spin before.

You'll feel the LSD more in the slower corners for sure, not so much in the faster corners.

Also in the rain, the LSD has caught a few people out right after they installed one, because it does make both tires more likely to spin at the same time in low traction conditions. So you just have to be aware of that in the rain.

·
694 Posts
I put a Quaife in my Esprit SE, after having driven it with the standard open diff for years. I made the decision to intall the Quaife after driving my car back to back with a friend's Esprit X180-R, which has a ZF clutch type LSD as standard.

The Quaife LSD made a huge difference in the rear grip of the car, with no apparent added understeer! The ZF diff in the X180-R did ad quite a bit of slow speed understeer in my opinion.

The Quaife in my car really allows you to turn tighter, or even adjust your attitude mid corner with throttle, where my inside wheel would just spin before.

You'll feel the LSD more in the slower corners for sure, not so much in the faster corners.

Also in the rain, the LSD has caught a few people out right after they installed one, because it does make both tires more likely to spin at the same time in low traction conditions. So you just have to be aware of that in the rain.
Thanks for the info. My current AMG has an LSD and my previous one had an open differential without lock...huge difference indeed. I'm trying to figure out if an LSD would make a big difference over the current differential lock system which is still better than a plain open differential. I'll only know for sure when one of us gets to drive the Evora 400.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.