The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a quaife sequential with straight cut gears to a k24 engine. The car ran fine through most of it's tuning, but towards the end is stuck in 5th gear. Car on/off, clutch in/out still stuck. Removed shift cable to push directly on the shift mechanism, but still stuck so I dont believe it's the cables. Anyone have solutions to this problem. Trying to troubleshoot without removing the box from the car. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Barrel actuator fork may be jammed, only way to fix is pull the trans apart and free it up. Happened to my Quaife last season. :-(

·
Registered
157 Posts
Before yanking the gearbox, check the gear detent. It's the big silver plug with a flathead screw center, next to the reverse/neutral cable lock out.

Loosen it, then try moving the shift linkage, while rocking the car back and forth.

If that doesn't work, you're pulling the gearbox.

·
Vendor
3,267 Posts
I concur on the gear detent. It has a sprung ball-bearing at the end of the plug to hold the barrel in position. If they are put in too tight they can stick. I get if you back it out a 1/4 turn, life will be good.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the detent! What's interesting is it was tightened more than when it was first set. Can that happen from just vibration? What do you guys do to prevent the screw from moving?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts