The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I like the looks of XXR 530 wheels but have read on numerous websites that they suffer in quality and may not be safe to track. Some say it's not true. Aside from being heavy, are the XXRs really dangerous to track or drive hard on public roads?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Without knowing the answer, I would assume that a wheel that's even moderately dangerous for most passenger vehicles will be fine for our much lighter cars. Since you say "numerous" sites, I'm going to assume more mass appeal than our brand, haha. Basically all of the loads on a wheel are proportional to that corner's weight, so breaking on a car with an 800lb corner is not an indicator of immediate threat on ours with ~600lb on the heaviest corner (also assuming you are talking Elise/Exige). That all being said, if anyone has actually seen a failure with our platform, then their experience far outweighs my intuition.

·
Registered
418 Posts
IDK, but for the track I would error on the side of not taking a chance. (I know, oxymoron of not taking a chance while tracking a car.)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
No.

They are NOT dangerous as track wheels.

The first thing to realize is that it depends on the style of the wheel. Some styles are stronger than others, and the 530 is a stronger style (meaning it has more spokes).

Second, it has a LOT to do with the weight of the car. On a Lotus you could use pot metal.

And lastly, there are many thousands of guys using these for track wheels because they are so cheap to replace, and yes I'm sure there have been some failures, but nothing close to the Lotus/Miata weight.

If you want to worry about a failure, make sure your toe links are addressed...

·
Administrator
2,040 Posts
IDK about pot metal.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtYjujhW27Q

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No.

They are NOT dangerous as track wheels.

The first thing to realize is that it depends on the style of the wheel. Some styles are stronger than others, and the 530 is a stronger style (meaning it has more spokes).

Second, it has a LOT to do with the weight of the car. On a Lotus you could use pot metal.

And lastly, there are many thousands of guys using these for track wheels because they are so cheap to replace, and yes I'm sure there have been some failures, but nothing close to the Lotus/Miata weight.

If you want to worry about a failure, make sure your toe links are addressed...
lol thanks and good to know. Being cheap to replace to me is not a factor when the damage caused by the wheel breaking is far beyond the wheel itself.

·
Administrator
2,040 Posts
Another potential for cause of failure is powder coating unless at low temp....LSS Wheel failure....https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/epic-lss-wheel-failure-at-grattan-raceway.316009/

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Another potential for cause of failure is powder coating unless at low temp....LSS Wheel failure....https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/epic-lss-wheel-failure-at-grattan-raceway.316009/
Note that this primarily applies to forged wheels (like the LSS).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insight, guys. I am going to try to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Light car running on wheel for heavier car, tire height not that low, on big holes on the pavement... not stressed by that.

·
Administrator
2,040 Posts
Note that this primarily applies to forged wheels (like the LSS).
True and like one of the posts pointed out that with forged wheels a power coat at 250 deg is below the ageing temp for forged 6061-T6 at 350F

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a rota wheel bust on me a few months ago. Hit a nasty pothole at 80mph the day after some milling took place. Blew out the tire and cracked the about half way through the wall of the wheels.
Felt just like any flat I've ever gotten, certainly nothing crazy.
Maybe a more expensive wheel wouldn't Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin have cracked, but I wasn't upset with it....that impact was HARD. Plus the wheel was cheaper to replace than the tire so meh.

·
Registered
835 Posts
^ Did the HARD impact trip your Inertia Switch?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I recall a guy coming back from LOG in an Elise on factory wheels in Deep East Texas. He hit a pot hole, front wheel broke. So, it can happen to about anything we put on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts