The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
hello
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running quantum singles? I just got them and trying out the settings. I wonder what people use on street / track.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have them and started with 14 clicks out from full stiff front and rear for the street - pretty comfy that way depending on the spring rates of course. Later at the track I set it to 12 front and rear and never bothered to set it back. I tried to use them on 10 but it was too bouncy for Buttonwillow so back to 12 all around, and they work great! Even though I basically doubled the spring rates compared to the LSS suspension it's nowhere as harsh.

·
hello
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No wonder I was thinking 8 is too much for the street :)

What springs do you have? And what ride heights? I went for the 425/525. I am considering a corner balance next. Still getting used to the new toys.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I went with 450\600 springs, and lowered the car almost 30mms front and rear so I needed alignment. I've not done corner balancing yet, but I weighed the car and it was pretty close, so I got lazy and didn't touch it :)

·
hello
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you running aero or extra hp?

I have a stock Elise and was told the spring rate I got was more track friendly than standard. So far I am only testing them on the street and 12 seems bumpy. It is like the car is too stiff. I have my next track day in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am running spring rates 375/450 with 200/300 helpers on my Quantums ADJs also with a 7/8" ASB. Simon S. recommended that set up for 70% street and 30% track. I have only had them on for about 150 miles.

Robert

·
hello
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robert, what settings are you running on front / rear? 12 is in the middle I believe. How do you like them so far? I was considering the same springs as you but went with a more track friendly stiffer setup. I find it bumpy on the street but it has great grip on the corners. Still no track time yet as they are new for me as well so I am getting used to them.

By the way the helper springs seem a bit high. I got 150/ 200.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have them set at 14 F and 12 R.
I have had them only for a short time but they ride better than the LSS springs I had.
My ride height is now 120 mm and having it corner balanced this week, Simon S recommended the spring rates as he has a lot of experience with Quantums over in the UK and is the one who told me about them. Some roads here in Wisconsin are very uneven due to the cold weather and the LSS springs were very harsh at times. I am trying a AX this weekend at a local track so I will be able give you more feed back

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the helper springs too.
My car has no aero mods, the enige is stock 2005 N\A . 15\17" wheels with 205\235 Nitto Nt01 tires. Ride height is 100\110
The reason I went with stiffer springs was because the car gets more track miles than street and I am planning to get aero upgrades in the future along with stickier tires maybe.
14 isn't as harsh of course but I'm too lazy to adjust all the time, and I can live with 12 on the street as much as I drive it on the horrid streets of Los Angeles :)

·
hello
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Attila85, what wheels did you use with the nittos? Not to derail the thread but I was looking at exactly the same setup and could not find a set of 15,17 wheels that are hub centric for the Elise, with no need for spacers and available. For now i went with the light tirerack wheels in 16,17. Waiting to see if 949racing comes up with a good set.

Also I configured my quantums with the help of Geary from Eliseparts. He was not that familiar with nittos and 15 fronts. They seem to be running yokohamas more, which for some reason are cheaper in the uk. He has been extremely responsive and helped a lot with my decision. I also got the 1" arb from them. Not installed yet though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
For now I'm on rotas in the front, which you can get hub centric (15x7)
In the rear I found some Motegi Traklite 2.0-s 17x8. I didn't care much about having them hub centric, as long as the bore is larger than the hub size which it is, so all I did was measure them and ordered the right spacers. I can't remember the offset but I had to use a 10mm spacer to get reasonable offset.

As far as help from Elise parts goes, with all do respect they are not familiar with the tracks here (very different from European ones) and the tires are totally different too, so I looked at the options from Nitron\S111 and used that as reference.

·
hello
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posting an update, I played more with them at a recent autocross. I started with 11 all around but the car was rolling too much. Then I took it down to 8 which was better but the car was loose. So I went with 8f/10r which then lowered to 7/9 for my best time of the day. I had no more runs to test but next time I would try 6/8 and 7/8 as well. I was running the ad07s on 26/29 tire pressure.

Now I am waiting for my upcoming track days to test more at high speed.

I am settled to 10/11 on the street for now which works decently on both ad07 and r888. I tried softer setups up to 16 all around but I did not like the crushy feeling of bumps. The harder setup is more sensitive to smaller bumps but seems more progressive otherwise.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Only just spotted this thread...

As far as help from Elise parts goes, with all do respect they are not familiar with the tracks here (very different from European ones) and the tires are totally different too, so I looked at the options from Nitron\S111 and used that as reference.
That's not really very accurate or relevant, apart from Europe having every type of cct known to man, they also got extensive testing round Australian ccts and roads too.

Posting an update, I played more with them at a recent autocross. I started with 11 all around but the car was rolling too much. Then I took it down to 8 which was better but the car was loose. So I went with 8f/10r which then lowered to 7/9 for my best time of the day. I had no more runs to test but next time I would try 6/8 and 7/8 as well. I was running the ad07s on 26/29 tire pressure.

Now I am waiting for my upcoming track days to test more at high speed.

I am settled to 10/11 on the street for now which works decently on both ad07 and r888. I tried softer setups up to 16 all around but I did not like the crushy feeling of bumps. The harder setup is more sensitive to smaller bumps but seems more progressive otherwise.
as a general rule, once your at ~17-18 clicks from full stiff, your getting close to being off the end of the scale - at this point, with (relatively) stiff springs, your heading into un-damped territory, this can then actually make the road-ride worse... (the exact point this happens really depends on the springs, wheels and tyres you have)

Other point worth making is that the dampers are not there to stop the car rolling, that's the job of the springs and ARB, all the dampers can do is change the speed at which this happens. If you going to run on tracks a lot, you really need to look at a much stiffer ARB than std, on track, it's almost impossible to run too stiff an ARB, the only real downside is on the road it will compromise the flexibility of the front end to deal with undulations in the road without 'fidgeting' - that said, even with a 1" ARB, you only have to adjust it to it's softest setting to limit this (or just un-do one end all together - the std one does almost nothing anyway).

(I am a big fan of not running super stiff front springs and using a stiff ARB to counter front end pitch into roll.)

lastly, whilst 600/450 sounds stiff, on track it's not, if I was specing a fed Elise as a track only car, I would be looking at more like 900/775 as a minimum, along with the 1" ARB, and if I was then going to run slicks, somewhat higher still, quite obviously, this would not be pleasant on the road though, the point here is that at the end of the day, it's a compromise, and where in the range you pitch it depends on what bias you want to put on your setup..

·
hello
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
eliseparts (Geary) also told me to not go above 18 clicks no matter what, for the same reason that Simon is stating.

I will be installing my 1" ARB in the next couple of days. For now I plan to set it at second softest setting and take if from there. I will be running with r888 on the track. So far, I wanted to test how the car is different with the new shocks before adding the ARB. Since I installed them myself and kept playing with them, this is turning into a nice learning experience for me on how suspension works. No matter what, it is certainly an upgrade over stock bilsteins in terms of grip and road feeling.

Simon, based on your experience, any tips on the adjustment settings we should be trying out?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Simon, with a stiff front ARB, do you run one on the rear also?
No,

a lot of people do, but I just don't subscribe to the idea.

Yes, it does help with roll, but it also makes the back end somewhat nervous on less than perfect surfaces.

if the rear is rolling too much (as in you have the inside front in the air and the rear is still pitching over), use stiffer rear springs.
eliseparts (Geary) also told me to not go above 18 clicks no matter what, for the same reason that Simon is stating.

I will be installing my 1" ARB in the next couple of days. For now I plan to set it at second softest setting and take if from there. I will be running with r888 on the track. So far, I wanted to test how the car is different with the new shocks before adding the ARB. Since I installed them myself and kept playing with them, this is turning into a nice learning experience for me on how suspension works. No matter what, it is certainly an upgrade over stock bilsteins in terms of grip and road feeling.

Simon, based on your experience, any tips on the adjustment settings we should be trying out?
always hard to say without knowing the exact setup of the car and track etc. that said, I doubt you would want to go stiffer than ~ -6

I find it's best to start off pretty soft then creep up on it, at the front keep going harder till you start to loose feel/grip, then come back a click, at the rear go stiffer till you get to the point where it's starting to twitch on turn in, then back off 1-2 clicks.

ARB wise, on track, start as stiff as it will go (realistically with the std drop links, that's 2nd hole from the front.)

Personal, I would not run 888's, they are very poor from a construction point of view, I would use either the Yokohama's or Kuhmo V70A's (or even V710's)

whilst 888's have good grip, they lack the carcase to be able to keep a decent contact patch and wobble about something horrible.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ran Quantum SA for the first time in the Lotus Cup time trial last weekend. Limited time for setup work due to cooling issues, but car felt great. 550/700 spring rates with Lotus super sport front ARB. N/A Elise on Hankook z214. Dietsch Werks knows the settings on the damper--I believe we were around 8 clicks from full stiff. No problems driving on the street at those settings (on stock wheels with AD07s).

Won't be on track again until Laguna Seca end of June. Happy to share more setup data after that event.

·
hello
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Updating on the usage: the quantums are working great so far. Grip has improved dramatically over the stock suspension. The ride is more rough on the highway.

I am still playing with the various settings and learning about how suspension works. With the 1" ARB from eliseparts, the car tends to understeer when I have the same suspension settings on front / back, e.g. 8 all around. So I go with something like 9/10 front and 7 back to get a more balanced feeling. For the more experienced drivers, am I doing this right? I assume if the car is pushing I should be softening the settings in the front.

So far, I have not managed to get the back to feel twitchy at all. Whereas with the stock setup, I had to worry about the back whenever I was trail-braking.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Alignment...? I shaved the control arms in the front, getting -1.5 camber now vs -0.8 but I think I'm gonna go with more. I'm using the same shock settings front and rear and it feels pretty balanced. Also added an LSD recently which made a huge difference, a lot more control over the rear end!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts