The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a bit of deliberation as to what muffler to purchase, BWR hooked me up with a Quarter Stick. I chose this muffler because it is re-packable, very light and supposedly sounds amazing.

On the weekend with a couple of hours to myself, I got my hands dirty and completed the job. The instructions were very clear and simple to follow. Its a very basic job. Any beginner who can turn a spanner should be able to carry this out if they take their time and follow instructions carefully.

I went with the low exit as I wanted to retain the OE look. I was amazed at how light it is compared to the OE stage 1 muffler (about 50% lighter at a guess).

As for the sound...punters beware, this thing is LOUD. I've had some loud exhausts on other cars i've owned, this is hands down the loudest! Keep in mind I have a cup 240 with no sound deadener in the cabin (just a mere thin carpet liner). Its loud at all RPM, from idle to WOT, there is no letting up. I love it, but if you don't like volume, go for the ST or ST-5 as this exhaust is not for you.

I had my dad take the car up the road today whilst I stood on the sidewalk so I could get an idea of the atmo sound. It's not as deafening from this perspective but people will still hear you before they see you. The note is amazing and very exotic. I'm glad to say the exhaust note now matches the car! Overall i'm a very happy customer.

Here is a video comparing the Stage 1 to the QS.

Exige Cup 240 BOE Quarter Stick - YouTube

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
It's funny - Phil @ BOE never wanted to get into the exhaust business...now they sell a ton of them (BWR distributes iirc). I have a Silent Touch, and that thing is LOUD at 6000 RPM. But quiet at 3500 RPM. A very neat trick.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The ST-5 will be *dramatically* quieter than the quarter stick.

The Silent Touch (ST) is already lots quieter and the ST-5 (the -5 stands for -5dB) is quieter by 5dB than the ST.

The ST-5 is designed for tracks with really rigorous sound limits.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest, the decibels (100, 95, 90) are BIG differences. I have heard an ST at start up/idle and is is nowhere near as loud as the quarter stick. The silent touch is probably the best combo for the street/track if you want to be able to stay under the radar.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
To be honest, the decibels (100, 95, 90) are BIG differences. I have heard an ST at start up/idle and is is nowhere near as loud as the quarter stick. The silent touch is probably the best combo for the street/track if you want to be able to stay under the radar.
Agreed! I installed the ST on Friday and put a nice blue tint on it Saturday at the track. It is pretty quiet on the street but sounds good on heavy throttle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
That sounds great and the quality looks top notch. I know it would be pointless, but I wish they could integrate a twin tip on the exhausts that exit below the diffuser just for aesthetic purposes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sounds great and the quality looks top notch. I know it would be pointless, but I wish they could integrate a twin tip on the exhausts that exit below the diffuser just for aesthetic purposes.
I agree, the low exit is definitely fucntion over form, but I was planning on having an exhaust shop weld on two 1 1/2 inch pipes to extend it out so it sits flush with my bigger diffuser. I'll get quotes for this first though as I imagine im going to be ripped off when they see the lotus badge.

Is there a diffusor exit option for the ST?
The QS, ST and ST-5 all use the same interchangable tips. In fact the system is designed so you can even swap cans without changing the hanging rod. Just a matter of unclamping the can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.