The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a 4 door luxury/ performance car to use as a daily driver. I need something that I can haul around business associates in style. My company pays a decent car allowance plus mileage, so fuel ecomony isn't a huge concern. I was looking at a year or two old AMG CLS Benz or a M5. A local dealership recently started selling Maserati, so a two year old Quattroporte could be a consideration. You guys seem to have a good perspective on what's out there. What's a better car? Anything else out there in the same class that you'd look at?

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
If I had to haul around business associates Id go with the maz

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...not to put too crude a point on it, but you'd come across as much less a ponce with the maserati...

·
Banned
874 Posts
...not to put too crude a point on it, but you'd come across as much less a ponce with the maserati...
+1 get the Merc

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The Quattroport has the most flair, Italian style and the least "sterile", but if you are looking at used ones it will likely have the flappy paddle gearbox which is crap. The new ones with the automatic are much better. They also have some quirky ergonomics and the nav/dash display is terrible. The car is big and it feels it too, but handles well (steering is a bit vague). Not slow, but not a rocket ship either. Reliability can (will) be an issue too.

Benz is visually a work of art IMO, but rear seat head room is limited, which could be a problem if you are taking people around a lot in the car, handling is not really its forte, more of a cruise missile, but it is not bad. If I had sports car already in the garage, I might lean towards the Benz, mainly because I think they are so sexy looking

M5 is the most sporting, SMG can be a bit clunky under normal driving conditions, get the manual (though I know people who say the SMG is not so bad once you learn how to deal with it). Car is really fast and handles well too. It's also complicated, I spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out how to get it into reverse (SMG), there is so many configurations and other crap too, but I am sure with familiarity of the car it will not be an issue. Given your parameters this is perhaps your best choice(?)
A standard 5 series might be more than enough though, how fast do you really need to haul around business associates? LOL

Have you thought about an Audi RS6, those are pretty nice too?

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I prefer the CLS. Careful with the QP. They do not hold their values at all. You can pick up a used one for under 50k now. They also have a lot of service issues. BMW seems too common, at least around here. At least the lines of the CLS are unique and the AMG look so frickin' hot in person. I'm getting excited just thinking about one. :p

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a 4 door luxury/ performance car to use as a daily driver. I need something that I can haul around business associates in style. My company pays a decent car allowance plus mileage, so fuel ecomony isn't a huge concern. I was looking at a year or two old AMG CLS Benz or a M5. A local dealership recently started selling Maserati, so a two year old Quattroporte could be a consideration. You guys seem to have a good perspective on what's out there. What's a better car? Anything else out there in the same class that you'd look at?
With that statement alone, I'd consider the QP ALL day long...looks sooo much nicer :drool: and while I do love the M5, it's a dime a dozen type car and can't stand MBZ so it wouldn't even be a consideration for me.

By the way, in 2007 Maserati changed the transmission to a fully automatic for the QP's and while I never had an issue driving the previous transmission, you might want to try it out first and see if you can handle it...it's a little fustrating and intimidating if you don't know how to use it and can definitely be a deal breaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The CLS has poor headroom in the back. I'm 6'2" and was not comfortable. I'm not crazy about the QP, but it's more of an aesthetic issue. I'd go with the M5 (actually, I did).

EDIT: The SMG on the M5 takes a bit getting used to (a few hours of driving, parking, etc.), and is impressive overall. I've driven it in stop and go Hamptons traffic, and it's as easy to drive as a full slushbox automatic. The upshifts/downshifts are F1-like and as good as any heel and toe pilot could pull off.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The Quattroport has the most flair, Italian style and the least "sterile", but if you are looking at used ones it will likely have the flappy paddle gearbox which is crap. The new ones with the automatic are much better. They also have some quirky ergonomics and the nav/dash display is terrible. The car is big and it feels it too, but handles well (steering is a bit vague). Not slow, but not a rocket ship either. Reliability can (will) be an issue too.

Benz is visually a work of art IMO, but rear seat head room is limited, which could be a problem if you are taking people around a lot in the car, handling is not really its forte, more of a cruise missile, but it is not bad. If I had sports car already in the garage, I might lean towards the Benz, mainly because I think they are so sexy looking

M5 is the most sporting, SMG can be a bit clunky under normal driving conditions, get the manual (though I know people who say the SMG is not so bad once you learn how to deal with it). Car is really fast and handles well too. It's also complicated, I spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out how to get it into reverse (SMG), there is so many configurations and other crap too, but I am sure with familiarity of the car it will not be an issue. Given your parameters this is perhaps your best choice(?)
A standard 5 series might be more than enough though, how fast do you really need to haul around business associates? LOL

Have you thought about an Audi RS6, those are pretty nice too?
Morgan, although I'm not a big fan of Mercedes, I agree on most of what you said and forgot to mention the Audi S8 which is also beautiful and if you're going to haul people in style...for me at least, it'd be:

1. QP (floppy paddles or not, I'm used to it)
2. Audi S8 (not many made)
3. M5 SMG is a breeze for me but might want to consider the 7 Series for hauling people.

I prefer the CLS. Careful with the QP. They do not hold their values at all. You can pick up a used one for under 50k now. They also have a lot of service issues. BMW seems too common, at least around here. At least the lines of the CLS are unique and the AMG look so frickin' hot in person. I'm getting excited just thinking about one. :p
Triple X, I think it works to his advantage since he's looking for a year or 2 old car and if you're talking about resale value, MBZ isn't that great either:

Manheim Report shows:
8/14 average condition '07 MBZ CLS63 AMG w/12k miles in gray going for $59,250

8/21 average condition '07 QP Sport GT w/1K miles in black going for $66K

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
S8 is nice too, but one problem with it is that it the all aluminum body would require expensive repair work if you have a fender bender and I believe there is not many body shops that are qualified to do the work. I know of one that got crashed and had to be shipped away for repairs

Here is the one I had on loan

·
Registered
538 Posts
I drove the S8 and absolutely loved it and you're right, the aluminum body would probably be a deal breaker but I guess you can always opt for the S6, right?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
get the QP, it drives great, its more exclusive and comfortable for rear occupants than any of your other choices

my mom owns a 2006 Maserati QP Executive GT, from my 1st hand experience, since i drive it 99% of the time, and im the one who gets it serviced, we have not had any service issues with it, even the flappy paddles dont bother me at all, no ISSUES what so ever

the only negative thing i can say about the flappies is its hard to get it car washed and valet, since i always have to explain to them how to use the flappy paddles

and as far as resale...who cares...lotus has crap resale and most of us here have one anyway hahahahaha

if you do get one and dont want the flappies the 2007 or newer models have to ultra smooth ZF auto trans

heres a few snaps of ours

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
S8 is nice too, but one problem with it is that it the all aluminum body would require expensive repair work if you have a fender bender and I believe there is not many body shops that are qualified to do the work. I know of one that got crashed and had to be shipped away for repairs
i had an RS4 and it was the absolute worst ownership experience of my life. i loved the car itself but ended up getting out of it 100% because of the service problems. audi dealer AND corporate customer service is no better than volkswagen and i wouldn't recommend any audi product simply based on this fact. the car had small problems here and there, but worse was the dealer and audi of america corporate's inability to resolve issues and provide quick and easy solutions. it took forever to diagnose problems, then took another forever to get approvals from corporate to fix the problems, which ended up not resolving the issue at all. NEVER buy a new audi product, and if you do, pray you never have problems with it.

that said, my vote out of the three is for the CLS63. looks good, more power than you know what to do with and is the most comfortable for your purposes.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
coming from an M6 owner...you know my vote!

I can't comment on the Maserati...I just don't know how reliable they are, and what maintenance is like.

The CLS 63 vs. M5/M6 is a common point of contention amongst those on the m5board.com forums....basically what it comes down to is that the MB is a luxury car with a smooth, comfortable ride and fair amount of power (unless you get AMG).

The M5/M6 is a LOT of top end power and is a sportier drive (more spirited if you will) where you are more connected to the road vs. the MB (Lotus owners should know about being connected). The SMG as you mentioned is actually quite easy to learn, and the SMG III in current models is extremely smooth vs. the older models.

So it depends on what kind of a driver's feel you want - sportier M5, smooth MB.
As far as image for your clients, I think the M5 has a much more aggressive look than the CLS. Also, consider the fact that BMW covers all maintenance and repairs while under warranty - that's a huge perk and one of the reasons I've stuck with bimmers.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
to be honest maintenance cost for the lotus and the masi is the same if you get both done at the dealer hahaha i know that for sure!!!

plus it cost money to look this good :p :D

if you want more aggressive-sport GTS

although its hard to beat the bimmers sched maintenance being included with the car!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^ Less ponce, but more "flash git". Benz or M5, M5 if you want to be able to shift for yourself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get the Merc. QPorte just suggests you have too much money and can attract a bit too much wrong attention (personal experience).

Merc is suble (in its own way) and confident. Qualities I would expect from my own business partner.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts