The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the market for a Lotus Evora S and I saw a 2014 Lotus Evora S pop up in San Antonio, Texas. I did a CarFax on the vehicle and noticed something odd. The history does not start until 2017 with the car having 4,200 miles already logged on the car. I did another check on VinCheck.info and it showed some history that pre-dates the CarFax report but still did not reveal much additional information. The details on VinCheck.info show that the car was owned by an Unknown Seller in Scottsdale, AZ on 8-27-2015 with a listing price of $79,900 with 26 miles logged. On 11-17-2016 the car is listed as being offered by Brighton Motorsports in Scottsdale, AZ for $64,900 with 4,191 miles. The CarFax does not even show this ownership by Brighton but actually starts its history under Alexander For Lincoln in Yuma, AZ on 1-28-17 with 4,200 miles. Does anyone know what circumstances would lead to this and if this is something to worry about? All opinions are welcome! Have a great day everyone.

Attachments

·
Scott M
293 Posts
Only observation is they are all imperfect. Each is but one useful reference as we look to paint a picture of a car's history. Seemingly missing and occasionally incorrect data are common from my experience and what I have heard from others.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I’m not sure if there some kind of attorney/client or doctor/patient privacy protocol, but maybe try calling Simon at Brighton and ask him directly about the car?

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
Being from the salvage industry I have a strong distaste for Carfax. They promote themselves a source to protect you from buying a wrecked car. But in reality all they can tell you is the information you get from the limited amount of states that actually reported them last I knew it was about 18 The only accurate information would be a total vehicle which would say on the title anyways. In most states total is 70% repair cost compared to the value of the vehicle. So a car worth $60,000 can have $42,000 in repairs done and not have salvage title. Meaning if a car is repaired without the use of insurance or in a state that does not report or buy a body shop that does not report Carfax will never know

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great suggestion ByJoveByJingle!! I will definitely do that if I move forward on this car.

Partsfinder, great points there. I did not really consider people paying cash on their repairs and not going through an insurance company on a high end exotic. However, that makes A LOT of fiscal sense due to the depreciation on a wrecked or salvaged title.

I really appreciate you both taking the time to read and respond!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts