The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nearest Lotus dealer is far away, so I've been having my oil changes done at the local Toyota dealer. I'm approaching 30K miles and it's time for new spark plugs and an air filter.

My question is, is there anything different about changing plugs or filters on an Elise that would make it complicated for a Toyota mechanic to do it?

Also, what is the recommended spark plug for an 05 elise?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
30k would be a very early death for a spark plug. A toyota dealer should be able to replace the air filter. It is a pain in the butt to change the filter without the proper technique.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
I just bought NGK's

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
NGK (3764) BKR6EIX-11 Iridium IX

·
Registered
173 Posts
You could do both yourself. Spark plugs being easier than the engine air filter since the plugs are right there easy access. The engine air filter requires removing the rear left wheel and it's tight in there to get to the filter, but do-able.

Spark plugs: make sure you have the right gap on them and torque them to spec

Engine air filter: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f154/changing-air-filter-32699/

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f154/air-filter-change-tip-79175/

some more pictures in this link
Lotus Elise Modification, Cold Air Intake Install

When changing the air filter, you could clean the MAF sensor too. Remove the sensor and use a MAF sensor cleaner spray.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very long, thin and strong fingers help with the filter change. It is the fastening of the filter holder that is the real challenge.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
You can do both of these very easily. Also remeber that the spark plug gap on a supercharged engine is a lot smaller than stock. I do not quite remember the spec, but maybe someone else can chime in on that???? By the way, 10,000 miles for a spark plug change is what I have seen as the norm here in California. Of course our gas is crappy here. Too much alcohol in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts