The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I figure this is the place to ask, I see an interesting Esprit for sale in San Diego and have never seen a car with a rear spoiler located on this area of the car.

At first I thought it looked rather "ricer" but after a while it has grown on me, kind of like the front spoiler on the Countach... Maybe its my 80's showing..

Anyway was this stock? and if so are there any other Esprits with spoilers mounted as such? Any pics?

P.S. No offense to "ricers" :)

J

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
Ok, I figure this is the place to ask, I see an interesting Esprit for sale in San Diego and have never seen a car with a rear spoiler located on this area of the car.[snip]

J
None of the Esprit S1 or S2 came with factory wings in all the time I've known. But this seller seems to imply these were 'prototype' features (as in the headlights).

Also, this was on craigslist for $35K - the seller clearly stated he's selling 'above market' to a collector. I like the low profile headlights, but the custom mods (roof spoiler, 3rd brake light/louvers) - different, but not for everyone.

·
Registered
913 Posts
That looks like either the wing from a more modern model Esprit's trunk mounted spoiler mounted on the roof, or maybe even the wing from a Fiero GT. I dont know if that would grow on me or not, I have to admit though everyone likes what they like, one of the reasons I love Esprits is because of the models with the rear hatch mid mount style wing, its really unconventional. After buying my Esprit that was a option I had to have. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I saw this car on Craigslist also. Early Esprits did not have wings, a wing is supposed to give down force on the rear of the car for traction. Why this one is mounted on the roof is beyond me and serves no useful purpose except for making the car look totaly retarded.

If it is a decent car buy it and remove the silly wing... just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seller claims its stock, so who knows? Its supposedly a "prototype" but I have never seen one like it before..

I am not interested in buying it, just curious if what the seller claims is true,,

·
Registered
204 Posts
A coke fueled prototype, perhaps.

There is no better word than 'retarded'.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
The seller claims its stock, so who knows? Its supposedly a "prototype" but I have never seen one like it before..

I am not interested in buying it, just curious if what the seller claims is true,,
OK - the advantages of being an old geezer and 17 years old when the 1977 Lotus Esprit S1 was introduced new.

I have never seen any of these mods back in the 70s. The louver was definitely an aftermarket option - here's my 1978 photo of a 1977 Esprit S1 with the louver - La Jolla, (San Diego) California:

Also, the 3rd rear brakelight was a US requirement in 1986 (I know because my 1986 Nissan Sentra was the first year requiring them).

It would be unlikely for Lotus to use a 1977 Esprit S1 as a mule for a 1986 US 3rd brake requirement.

The roof wing looks alot like an Esprit SE wing given the size. And from what I read about Colin Chapman, putting that roof spoiler would not likely be his idea - certainly not in 1977.

And while the white California plate 'Z-ESPRIT' could be a late 80s plate and non-original, a true period license plate would be like my California blue/yellow 'SLEEK GT' plate (from 1979).

Coincidentally, I grew up in San Diego - same place where this 77 S1 is located today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts