The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a lot of the new 2018 Evora 400's have the carbon fiber rear hatch with louvres from the factory.

What happens when it rains? Is water ingress into the engine bay harmful to any components or anything in there? Seems like everything would get gross and dirty.

·
Registered
288 Posts
All of the connections in the engine bay should be weather tight. Also the under tray has a large scoop, so there will be a lot entering from there as well. I've washed my car twice now since installing the louvered hatch and I haven't even noticed water marks on the supercharger. So, I'm not concerned about it. Also, IMO the weight savings and heat extraction is worth the potentially dirtier engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
My 07 Exige has a hatch with OEM grilles. Getting the engine bay wet shouldn’t be an issue. I rarely drive in wet weather though. Plus I usually wipe down my engine bay every time I clean my car.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
8 years in an Elise...no issues. Very interested in doing this to Evora S.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Water entering a Lotus from the top is no different from water entering from the bottom for most other cars. Other that the engine bay becoming dirty, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I was a little worried about this but has been non issue. The way louvers are set up water goes down louver to louver like steps. My hurcan has louvers on sides and does the same and engine bay stays very clean. Have you seen the rear on some cars like some McLaren models? Just open screen above motor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts