The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been addressed, I searched and couldn't find anything.

The large plastic piece behind the seats, that houses the speakers, is squeaking when I go over road bumps. The screws that hold it in place seem OK, but there's not that much tension on the washers.

Can I go ahead and tighten them up nice and snug, or are the screws going into raw fiberglass that will disintegrate if I apply too much force?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
there is no way you would be screwing into f/g. There is an insert, or a wellnut, or something backing them. My guess is that you can tighten them. Don't go crazy though. I think that piece is called the rear bulkhead.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Tightening them won't do anything. They are just plugs that the screws spread apart that hold them into holes in a plastic mounting piece (iirc). I got sick of the squeeking myself and spent last weekend doing the making your elise quieter stuff (search for quieter elise). I covered the whole firewall with stuff from raamaudio.

Anyway the noises are probably coming from where the plastic is rubbing against the rollbar cover at the top where the two pieces meet on both sides. I got that to stop by lining it with some of the Ensolite peel and stick from raamaudio.com. Pretty much any thin self sticking foam between the two pieces should help though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You can try this...unscrew all 4 plastic screws. Becareful b/c the plastic washers can pop out and fall under the passenger seat making it hard to retrieve. Then push the plastic bulkhead panel towards the firewall making sure it seats completely and as snug as you can get it. Keep pressure on it while you insert the washers in completely and use the screw to keep it there.

I did this after removing the panel to get to the immoblizer one time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts