The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Sometimes when I fill the car up with gas I can see gas in the area around where the nozzle goes in. I just filled up a few minutes ago and am pumping away, watching the pump in disbelief when the nozzle gives the full click. Just about that time I feel a little drip on my toe and look over to see that the gas is running down the side of the car. I wasn't trying to top it off or anything, it just came out. Have either of these things ever happened to anyone here?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I've had mine turn off with a few gallons to go many times, so I need to re-start it

I've had mine fly out of the car twice when it clicks-off (getting some gas on the car and luckily not scratching anything). I now hold on to it until it's done.

Not shutting off sounds like a faulty pump/nozzle to me?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not shutting off sounds like a faulty pump/nozzle to me
It did shut off, I was holding the nozzle but when it did it's full click that was it. I had like 1/4 of a bar to empty and it held 8.6 gallons so I don't think it should have done that. I would think the same about the faulty nozzle if it hadn't happened 3 or 4 times in the past.

·
Registered
912 Posts
It did shut off, I was holding the nozzle but when it did it's full click that was it. I had like 1/4 of a bar to empty and it held 8.6 gallons so I don't think it should have done that. I would think the same about the faulty nozzle if it hadn't happened 3 or 4 times in the past.
Ive had my gauge read from nothing to 1/4 bar and i have never put in over 9 gallons.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Contact your dealer/mechanic asap.
Why do you say that? I ask because when I bring the car the car to the dealer I will need to tell them the problem and the solution in order to get it fixed the right way the first time.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Why do you say that?
It's Larry. 10,246 posts... Maybe 6 or so with content. Maybe.

If the gas is leaking around the seal then it might be a good idea to have it checked out.

Sometimes if you have the nozzle in the car at an angle, some gas could get shot back out the filler hole.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If the gas is leaking around the seal then it might be a good idea to have it checked out.

Sometimes if you have the nozzle in the car at an angle, some gas could get shot back out the filler hole.
Thank you. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Pump while holding on to the nozzle. I've had plenty of nozzles stop short (by 3 gallons). I've had plenty of nozzles that didn't stop at all until gas spilled out of the tank.

The only way to avoid spills and underfills is to hold the nozzle in the down position by hand the entire time, wait for the click, check that you get over 8 gallons in the tank, then you're golden! If you get 6 gallons, keep pumping!

The Elise fuel cell neck was obviously not made to be compatible with vapour recovery systems.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
We don't have vapor recovery systems on pumps in Arizona. I don't think it makes much of a difference.

The pump shuts off when fuel reaches the end of the nozzle. There's a "vacuum" line in the end of the nozzle that's used to detect a full tank.

If fuel is flowing too fast, the filler pipe into the fuel cell can back up an trigger an early shutoff. I believe there's a spring loaded flap at the bottom of the filler neck to prevent fuel from sloshing up while you're driving. It could be that the bend of the filler neck and the strength of the spring/flap can cause early shutoff more frequently that occurs in most other cars.

My strategy is to watch the pump carefully. I've had pumps completely fail to shutoff at times in the past so I'm a bit paranoid about it happening on the Elise. I usually have a very good idea of how much fuel I actually need. When the pump meter shows I'm getting close to the expected amount, I hold the nozzle so that it points more in a downward direction (putting the vacuum shutoff in more of a vertical position). I also slow the rate at which fuel is dispensed by letting up a bit on the trigger. I also listen... you can hear when fuel starts flowing up into the filler neck.

A pump that fails to shutoff is probably a bad thing that the station owner should fix.

·
Registered
815 Posts
ive had this happen when i didnt insert the nozzle all the way into the car. usually the pump nozzle will have a bend in it, so i have to insert nozzle, lift nozzle, then insert it further into the car. the rubber splash guard should touch the filler opening on the car (or be very close to it).

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
ive had this happen when i didnt insert the nozzle all the way into the car. usually the pump nozzle will have a bend in it, so i have to insert nozzle, lift nozzle, then insert it further into the car. the rubber splash guard should touch the filler opening on the car (or be very close to it).
+1, it's usually user error

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I've had mine fly out of the car twice when it clicks-off (getting some gas on the car and luckily not scratching anything). I now hold on to it until it's done.
Pump while holding on to the nozzle. I've had plenty of nozzles stop short (by 3 gallons). I've had plenty of nozzles that didn't stop at all until gas spilled out of the tank.

The only way to avoid spills and underfills is to hold the nozzle in the down position by hand the entire time, wait for the click, check that you get over 8 gallons in the tank, then you're golden! If you get 6 gallons, keep pumping!
You guys don't normally hold onto the pump the whole time? Guess it just seems weird to me since in MA they removed all the devices that hold the pump on at the self service stations.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Why do you say that? I ask because when I bring the car the car to the dealer I will need to tell them the problem and the solution in order to get it fixed the right way the first time.
Something really weird going on with the Lotus - I talk to my mechanic.

Don't get me wrong...Lotustalk members are VERY helpful. :bow:

Sometimes.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts

And you Rich, you beautiful man, you count posts.

Like it matters. rotfl

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Something really weird going on with the Lotus - I talk to my mechanic.

Don't get me wrong...Lotustalk members are VERY helpful. :bow:

Sometimes.
If it's any consolation Larry, I do keep two cans of Fix-A-Flat in my trunk. They're not wrapped in foam. One of them is OEM. I hope you don't think any less of me for this.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Two cans!

Excellent.

I wrap 'em in foam to keep them from damaging the inside of the fiberglass trunk....:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts