The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealers of many types of vehicles are required to move some minimum number per year to maintain their dealership status. I do a lot of work for the marine industry, for example, and it's definitely true there. Same for other car brands that I've encountered over the years.

Does Lotus impose the same requirement on their dealers?

I'm asking because if there's a dealer out there who needs to order an Evora to satisfy their quota, we might be able to help each other.

Just wondering....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do know after looking into becoming a dealer that Lotus will only offer a select number of cars (50 or so) max per year. They usually like to pair with another dealership like Jaguar etc.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense given their limited annual production. I was speaking from the perspective of a dealer who moves FEWER vehicles, and who might need to order a new one to meet their contractural obligations. Given the economy there may be a dealer out there who needs to book a Lotus factory order in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That makes sense given their limited annual production. I was speaking from the perspective of a dealer who moves FEWER vehicles, and who might need to order a new one to meet their contractural obligations. Given the economy there may be a dealer out there who needs to book a Lotus factory order in a timely fashion.
They do produce a certain amount and keep some at port on East coast and then ship as needed to certain dealers. The GT I bought was supposed to be the Vegas show car but matched the specs i wanted close enough they re-routed and ate the cost of the few items i didn't ask for (subwoofer etc.) Otherwise they are essentially made to order as you suggested and it is usually a 3 month lead time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do know after looking into becoming a dealer that Lotus will only offer a select number of cars (50 or so) max per year. They usually like to pair with another dealership like Jaguar etc.
I can't speak to Jaguar, but up until about 3 years ago, Lotus used to be common showroom mates with Aston Martin & Ferrari. Ferrari got tired of losing sales to the lower price Lotus, so they prohibited Ferrari dealers from sharing show room space with another brand. Many dealers either built a new showroom for Aston Martin or just partitioned off the Existing Aston - Ferrari, but the economics didn't warrant doing that for Lotus, so they dropped the line.

As a result (IMO), Lotus has some of the strangest dealership relationships in the automotive industry; in 2018 I bought my new Evora from a Classic/Antique Car dealer in Vegas. When they closed their doors, there wasn't a Lotus dealership in AZ or NV for well over a year and a half. I could be wrong, but in my opinion, Lotus is likely to award a dealership to just about anyone that wants one.

Jim

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can't speak to Jaguar, but up until about 3 years ago, Lotus used to be common showroom mates with Aston Martin & Ferrari. Ferrari got tired of losing sales to the lower price Lotus, so they prohibited Ferrari dealers from sharing show room space with another brand. Many dealers either built a new showroom for Aston Martin or just partitioned off the Existing Aston - Ferrari, but the economics didn't warrant doing that for Lotus, so they dropped the line.

As a result (IMO), Lotus has some of the strangest dealership relationships in the automotive industry; in 2018 I bought my new Evora from a Classic/Antique Car dealer in Vegas. When they closed their doors, there wasn't a Lotus dealership in AZ or NV for well over a year and a half. I could be wrong, but in my opinion, Lotus is likely to award a dealership to just about anyone that wants one.

Jim
The newest Lotus dealer is Lamborghini of Palm Beach FL. What a strange partnership!

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
45 Posts
Naples Motorsports has new cars from Alfa Romeo, Karma (Fisker), and Lotus. They mainly sell used exotics. They had a Porsche 918 Spyder ($1.6 million sticker), a bunch of Lamborghinis and Mclarens including a Senna.

Reactions: Kubera

·
Registered
28 Posts

Jim
I believe based on the US sales numbers that it just doesn't warrant setting up a dealership. This is why they typically like to pair off with other dealers. It makes sense that some would be opposed to it like the Ferrari dealers etc. considering price tag and exclusivity. I would be amazed if we don't see them being sold almost exclusively at some form of exotic dealerships rather than particular brand dealers in the near future.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think it would be smart if Geely has their Volvo dealers set aside a corner of their showrooms for Lotus and at a minimum provide Lotus service at each Volvo dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
I have said that from day 1. Using the Volvo showroom is a no brainer. Have 1 car on hand and order as needed from the port or motherland

Reactions: FL Orange

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mom gets the Volvo, Dad gets the Lotus. Package deal that makes everyone happy!

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Its the 21st century. Maybe it works the other way. Dad commutes in the Polestave EV. Had to leave the typo hehe

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, good point. My wife was the first in our family to get all big-eyed when she started driving windy roads with her Infinity G20. Laugh if you must, but for a non-sports car that thing was remarkable. I bless its memory every day because her experience in it is probably a big part of why she's willing to support my desire for an Evora. That, and her knowledge that she will probably drive it as much or more than I will (coming back to your original point)!

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Yup, that was wife's Alfa 164L

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
I think the general rule is that if you want something specific you get to pay for its individuality. To get the best deal requires that one be a bit flexible and almost always means buying a spec built car. Such a car needn't be a Lotus, just about anything will do as an example. Want a paint to sample teal Porsche with red interior and manual transmission but no radio and a green roof? You will pay for the privilege. Lotus is no different. If you can find a car in stock somewhere that is acceptable to you, it will cost less than the exact same spec you custom order. I don't think there are many exceptions to that rule.

Indeed Lotus has a very limited network as we'd expect from a builder that doesn't sell more than a few hundred cars a year and couldn't build all that many more under current circumstances anyway even if there was demand.

I say if you're going to go for it, go for it. If I was ordering a new Evora today I would probably be able to find one that suited from current inventory but I'm cheap that way. I admire (am jealous of?) all who are willing to bite down and pay the tariff for exactly what they really want with no compromise but doing that will always cost you more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you can find a car in stock somewhere that is acceptable to you, it will cost less than the exact same spec you custom order. I don't think there are many exceptions to that rule.
I totally agree, but have never fully understood why dealers refuse to discount a spec'ed car that they have zero dollars invested, but will deep discount a vehicle that have been paying floor planning charges on for 6 months or more?

Jim

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Its like punting on 1st down.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's another, somewhat related question. A remarkable number of new Lotus vehicles are listed as "USED" at the dealer, despite having single-digit-mileage. I presume this is so they can intentionally start the warranty clock. Why the heck would dealers do that? Most other brands don't start their warranties until the first sale.

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
I totally agree, but have never fully understood why dealers refuse to discount a spec'ed car that they have zero dollars invested, but will deep discount a vehicle that have been paying floor planning charges on for 6 months or more?

Jim
I suspect the reason is that if it's existing inventory there's a clock ticking and every day adds carrying cost and missed opportunity. And like milk and meat, cars have a shelf life due to their build dates. The longer it sits, the more eager the seller. If it's a custom order, there is no cost and they can play the game with a bit more abandon as there's no cost to them and consequently there's less pressure to make a quick sale. I've only ordered one car built to spec, an E39 M5. You had to order them in advance at the time anyway so you might as well get the color, tranny and seats you wanted. I was given a modest discount because it was the second 5 series I bought from them even though there was high demand at the time. There's no harm in asking and I certainly would negotiate a price even on a build to my order or at least try. And I'd expect to get some discount depending on my relationship and negotiating skills. In fact,I would be hesitant if not miffed if I didn't get one (on a Lotus) but I wouldn't be surprised to pay a little more for the privilege than if I bought one off the floor.

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
Here's another, somewhat related question. A remarkable number of new Lotus vehicles are listed as "USED" at the dealer, despite having single-digit-mileage. I presume this is so they can intentionally start the warranty clock. Why the heck would dealers do that? Most other brands don't start their warranties until the first sale.
I think it's a ploy but I've had the same question. Pretty much everybody has that question. Dealers are often given a discount for demos so there's that, you could call it used instead of a demo and then deal with the minor differences in meaning later. Or not at all.

I'd have to be intimate with Lotus' (Lotus America) rules/preferred practice and dealer incentives to know the precise reason why this is true for the Evora but it allows dealers to advertise a car that's 'essentially' new and publish the discount in a way that might be awkward if the car was advertised as "new new." I think a lot of those ads are for cars that were never previously registered and still have their certificates of origin. The only thing I can come up with is it's a game played to discount deeply in the clear without attracting ire or breaking the rules off engagement.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts