The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just so happened to click the banner by accident and when the website loaded, immediately 2 questions popped into my head.

1) Why would they put a picture of the chopped Gallardo Esprit on their website? I would also assume that that picture is copyrighted

2) it says, "Lotus Garage. Copyright 2007 All Rights Reserved. Brought to you by Lotus of Newport Beach. www.newporteuropean.com"

I thought that Lotus Garage was owned by Randy & Robert. Maybe one of them can answer this one. So who owns Lotus Garage?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
All I know is that I purchased an OEM Exige front splitter as advertised on the site for ~$290. I got an email back that said the price had gone up to >$500. It seems to me that the price advertised on the website should have been honored, as the charge had already been put on my card. :shrug:

Needless to say I passed on the splitter.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
1. Shrug. Slow day Scotty? You can't be serious. You acidently slipped and clicked the banner.... :rolleyes:

I am not a fan of that image, but a website design company tossed that stuff together. I figure at some point it will get revised and it will show the Eagle instead. LG could do that now, but the car is released in July and that is not that far off.

I have been in contact with the IP legal people at Lotus and they are free to tell me what they have a problem with.

2. The site is owned by Lotus Garage, but OE parts are supplied from Newport European. In other words, LG acts as a merchant front end, as one does buying from a vendor on Amazon. You are really being supplied by NE as they are a dealer. Owned by LG, powered by NE.

BWR was handling this at one point (with Brandon) and they used the same phone. BWR is now located in Arizona so you should see more differentiation. Robert owned BWR 100%. Now Fred does. They used the same phone because the volume of business was silly. Hard to justify a business that sells a bit here or there, maybe once a week.

I believe (not sure, have not talked to Robert about this) that business has improved a bit since the website was redone. LG for a long period was in a fight with certain people at Lotus USA about being allowed to exist. At least one dealer made it his goal to keep the site from being active (he has since admitted to that and apologized).

LG is 100% run by Robert. I have/had some sort of stake in it... not sure what. :) But I am not involved financially at this point in any way. ChaseCam keeps me busy. At the onset of LG, it was originally owned by me and I handed it over to Robert in return for help with ChaseCam. It really was not a fair trade, as ChaseCam does millions in business and LG did hundreds. There certainly was some discussion if it was even worth trying, but I believed in the concept. My idea was that back in the early days of the Elise, people were reporting that their new clam was $4000 or some crazy number. I thought it would be a service to the community for a searchable graphic site that could tell you the MSRP of ANY part, regardless of where you bought it. Then, dealers would have to be honest. And that irked some dealers.

I may or may not get more involved later. I have no problem saying I am involved or becoming involved. Just depends on where business takes me. As I said, ChaseCam is enough work for me, many times over. I believe Robert is also looking into some other business ventures (and he has at least one other very successful business he runs in the product brokering business). So who knows where things will end up?

Pricing is a difficult thing at this point. Consider there are over 10,000 parts and the data for pricing is based on MSRP as supplied from Lotus. But to no surprise, Lotus USA does not have us on their distribution list for changes and LG will only sell parts at MSRP for a VERY small margin. Sucks, but there are some things in work to make this better.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually Randy, not too slow of a day. Not looking to stir up anything, just wanted some info.

I mostly interested because I was thinking about altering my SC with the Lotus SC manifolds so I can fab up an inter-cooler. But on the website certain parts are not available.

Do you know if those parts are available? and just wanted to know who to call?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think you would call the number on the website.

Certain parts are not available. Lotus is a different company and they refuse to sell certain parts. I don't have anything to do with it, so I don't know. I do know from my own experience with my car, that we had to pull some strings to get the manifold, but then I have heard some other people have not had a problem with their dealers. So I don't know.

One of the real downsides of a business like this, is that LG is totally dependent on Lotus supplying the parts. Lotus can take a week, or 6 months, or just tell LG that they won't sell the widget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts