The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at two evora models: 6speed 2011 Evora or auto 2012 Evora. The reason I am looking the Evora over the Evora S is I plan to mod the car heavily for fun...

1. What type of issues have people had with the auto clutch ? I do realize it is the 2nd year, so i am hoping any issues have been worked out.

2. Also does the auto allow you to shift at your discretion or does it shift automatically at a certain rpm?

3. How is the shift feeling (smooth,jerky etc..) in the auto model?

4. If you had a choice how would most people feel having the auto clutch over the 6 speed assuming no issues with the auto mode ?

Also I am leaning towards the 2012 due to slight face lift, and I enjoy the interior more then the 2011 model. But, if there is severe issues with the auto clutch I have no problem taking the 2011 model, but then again I have also thought about ordering one....

Any help, suggestions and general thought are appreciated, and thank you all for your time.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The number of Evora owners on this forum is tiny compared to other Lotuses. You can't possibly accurately base your decision on what this group says. I think there's only 1 IPS owner on here.. Maybe 2? I doubt more than you can count with one hand. Good luck! rotfl

Listen, if you plan to mod the hell out of your Evora, why you getting a new car? Get a 2010. It'll still be under warranty so you can sort out any major issues beforehand. Don't expect Lotus to be too eager to approve your warranty claims with a heavily modded car, so I see no point in getting a later model. It's not like the newer ones are any more reliable than the older ones. You can only assume it, but from what I've read, it's obvious the only improvements have been cosmetic.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I agree with squid. Speaking in general terms, if you are going to heavily mod the car, get the cheapest base model which represents the minimum (but still solid) platform on which to put your mods.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I agree with squidward and I did the same thing. I think you should buy a 2010 model for low 50's. That will give you at least 15 to 20K of leverage to buy any kind of upgrade you can imagine. Even dropping 10K on supercharger upgrade will still be cheaper than buying the regular 2012 S. I just talked to lotus racing and their kit is going to be somewhere close to 10K. I have already invested about 5K in upgrades and another 10K will be 15K in upgrades. I'm still 10K shy of the Base model S and i have every option you can imagine. On top of all of that after the supercharger upgrade i will easily have 410 or 420HP which will be much more than what you'll get with the standard S.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
For the record, there are no known "major" issues with any model year Evora and any issue is minor. Also, the auto transmission or rather IPS is only available in MY12 and if you drive it in the "regular" auto mode, it will shift on its own however when engaged in the "sport" manual mode it will shift when you want and will allow you to shift at higher rpm's. It does have a safety feature where if you do not shift within 30-45 seconds (I forget) it will automatically shift on its own but in reality, 30-45 seconds is too long NOT to shift hence why I call it a safety feature. The shifts are smooth in the regular auto mode but just a teensie, weensie jerky on the sport mode which was done on purpose. I suggest you drive one before making a decision but more importantly, with a dealer and sales person who is familiar with the vehicle and can confidently explain the vehicle to you. Good Luck as these cars are fantastic and a pleasure to drive. :up:

PS-Even in the sport "auto" mode the vehicle will allow you to hold a gear

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and thoughts! I plan on test driving ths ISP on Saturday just to get a feel before my decision but will definitely look into purchasing a 2010/2011.My only hesitation with buying a used car with low miles on a car like this is it has probably been abused a bit. Either way I will be posting pictures of my decision sooner then later !

Thanks
Lotus noob

·
Registered
163 Posts
For the record, there are no known "major" issues with any model year Evora and any issue is minor.
LOL...OK...that would be an accurate statement if it included..."it just has about 20 to 30 alternating minor issues where it is possible your car might end up on a new purchase where the dealer has it in their possession for more time than you, for the 1st 3- 4 months or so." Opting for the 2010 might rule out problems that have been corrected previously. Don't get me wrong...I love my car..."they are fantastic and a pleasure to drive", just didn't appreciate the Lotus overall quality experience. I could have done without some of that. I'm just talkin here...don't make your new purchase looking through rose colored glasses. Major and Minor are relative terms. Abe wasn't right or wrong...it's thinking that makes it so! :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Abe , I believe, is making comparisons to other makes of high end cars. Porsche makes the occasional lemon too as does BMW, Mercedes etc. Lotus is such a tight knit, small community that, courtesy of this forum, bad news travels fast, far faster than the good news. Just buy one and smile. She's a real sweetheart to drive. Knowing your location could help us hook you up with a great dealer!
Most mass market cars just put the first 5-10000 units out there and deal with Model year 1. That isn't possible for Lotus. We are their test mules.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I am looking at two evora models: 6speed 2011 Evora or auto 2012 Evora. The reason I am looking the Evora over the Evora S is I plan to mod the car heavily for fun...
1. What type of issues have people had with the auto clutch ? I do realize it is the 2nd year, so i am hoping any issues have been worked out.

2. Also does the auto allow you to shift at your discretion or does it shift automatically at a certain rpm?

3. How is the shift feeling (smooth,jerky etc..) in the auto model?

4. If you had a choice how would most people feel having the auto clutch over the 6 speed assuming no issues with the auto mode ?

Also I am leaning towards the 2012 due to slight face lift, and I enjoy the interior more then the 2011 model. But, if there is severe issues with the auto clutch I have no problem taking the 2011 model, but then again I have also thought about ordering one....

I am with the group on new vs used. I have a very early 2011 (July 2010 build). I have not had very many problems (knock on wood). As for myself a sports car should have a stick, but that is just me. So go for the car that you like and fits your needs the best (color,option, price, ect). And welcome to the disease known as Lotus.
Ron:shift:
Ron

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your thoughts/opinions. After all i have read I have made up my mind and I think I will purchase the 2012 IPS next week. I promise to post pictures as soon as I can get the car detailed (wash, wax etc...). Also I have been very happy with the dealership that I have been talking too, and I will post a review about the dealership, with pictures of the car and any after thoughts I may have while driving home :D..... Again thank you all for your time and considerations.

Lotus noob

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Thank you all for your thoughts/opinions. After all i have read I have made up my mind and I think I will purchase the 2012 IPS next week. I promise to post pictures as soon as I can get the car detailed (wash, wax etc...). Also I have been very happy with the dealership that I have been talking too, and I will post a review about the dealership, with pictures of the car and any after thoughts I may have while driving home :D..... Again thank you all for your time and considerations.

Lotus noob
:clap:

Congrats and you won't be disappointed. I'm a bit fond of the 2012's myself. Please give the deserving dealer their kudos and eagerly awaiting photos, congrats again :up:

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
You'll need to change your User Name soon!! Lotus addict might be better??

·
Registered
881 Posts
Order Time

FYI...the IPS is where I am eventually headed...good choice and congrats! ;)
I placed a deposit exactly one year ago for an IPS equipped Evora. I was recently informed "it is on the water."

I hope you do not have to wait as long.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

Lotus noob
Congrats--but I can hardly imagine that a dealer would deliver a dirty car to you ;).

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Placed my order on Saturday and was able to test drive a 2012 IPS and just fell in love with the Evora, even more then I already was:D....

Specs:
2012 Evora IPS 2+2
Carbon Grey exterior, Venom red interior, classic wheel stealth grey
Premium sport package, Tech package, IPS sport pack, Reverse camera...I ordered everything that was possible except the fold in mirrors, I do not believe I missed anything.

When I find out my official delivery date which I was informed was 3months out give or take, I will let everyone know other then my good friends and the wifey who are annoyed by my daily calls of "have you seen this video" or " check out this picture..." lol... Either way thanks for all the support, I cannot wait, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas....

Couple questions I was wondering :
1. Where can I buy a nice car cover for the Evora?
2. Am I able to follow the build using my vin number(which I haven't received yet) ?
3. I particularly did not like the speakers and thought about replacing them with Focals, any thoughts on that ?

Final statement.....wooooohooooooooooo!!!!!!:panic:

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Powerfold Mirrors you can add as an upgrade for 12GBP! Good call! Check the Evora forum for just how to do it.

Welcome to the group and can't wait for pics!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts