The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I just picked up an 05 LSS Elise on Saturday from Lotus of Durham. These guys did me right and I highly recommend them!!! This car is totally insane. I have never owned a sports car before, but I have driven numerous stock sports cars from Mustangs to Miata's and my friends tricked out Dinan supercharged M3 and nothing even comes close to the level of feedback you get with this car!!!

This car apparently came from an owner in Pensecola, Florida. He has done numerous appearance mods such as painting the center console, flashing 3rd brake light, Lotus emblem instead of the letters on the back, speakers replaced, and jack installed for an MP3 player in the left cubby hole.

The dealer explained to me that these are the 05 UK Exige wheels as Lotus ran out of the US LSS wheels for a short time and substituted these instead. Does anybody have any more detailed info on these such as how many cars made it to the US with these wheels? What size are they? Or any other info you might know? Are these wheels desirable? I really like them. I will be getting the black BMW lugs sometime this week to complete the blackout effect. I think the four silver lugs look pretty funny!

Thanks!

·
Registered
813 Posts
The info the dealer told you is correct (I can't believe I just said that). However, all the ones I've seen were silver. The previous owner might have had them painted or powdercoated black, but I also think they might have come in black from the factory. They are the same size as the regular LSS rims, but heavier. Lotus gave a discount on these rims with the Sports Pack.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is entirely possible that he had the powder coating done. He had the fuel door and mount powdercoated and he could have done the wheels at the same time. I haven't checked to see how close the color is between the wheels and the fuel door. Do you know how much heavier and why Lotus gave a discount on them?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have black Exige wheels on my LSS car as well, I don't think the prior owner had them powdercoated and in discussion with him did confirm there was a discount on the sport package (not much) for cars that received these in place of the LSS forged wheels:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
They come from the factory in black as well.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like they are not as desirable as I was led to believe (being heavier). I still like them anyway though. If I ever get my driver skills up to what the car is capable of, maybe then I will get a set of light racing wheels and make these my daily drivers. For now, they are plenty good enough and I like them being somewhat unique. Is there any way to find out how many black UK LSS wheels made it to the states?

·
Registered
654 Posts
yes, they are heavier than the LSS wheels, but they are also tougher and more resistant to dents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts