The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of putting down my $1,000 deposit tomorrow at the dealership in Westchester (Westchester Audi).

Any one else here have a deposit with them? If so, how have you been treated to date?

TIA

·
Registered
493 Posts
Don't worry, as long as it's refundable you'll have 1.5-2 years to deal with them before you take delivery. I'm pretty sure the first year is sold out so you'll be waiting for a year 2 allocation.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
If you have some money to spend, you might want to consider going on a short list with dealerships charging over MSRP. I dont know how long those lists are at the moment,or what the premium might be (one place I know was $2500), but if they are short enough to guarantee a 2005 model year car, you'll get your car earlier and avoid the MSRP hike that is most likely to happen (i.e. you'll get the car for the same price, only sooner).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't have one with them but was thinking of doing the same thing. Either at Westchester Audi or at Manhattan Motorcars.
Let us know how it goes, and what the dealer says about the wait and MSRP.
I was going to do it tomorrow as well, but it might have to wait till next week.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
617arg:

Based on my conversation with the dealer, the car would come in approx. Feb/March and the price is MSRP.

The deposit is $1,000 and is fully refundable which is perfectly fair. I will most likely be going there tomorrow to leave my deposit.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I didn't realize there was another Lotus dealer in NY besides Classic Automobiles and Manhattan Motorcars - did they just become a lotus dealer?

If so, what's their contact info - I just did a search for 'westchester' and 'westchester audi' and it didn't bring anything up (on yahoo yellowpages at least). Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm not trying to be a spoil sport, but I would be highly suspect of their claim of Feb/March for delivery if you put a deposit down today.

If they can deliver, more power to you.....just go in with your eyes open. Read all the posts so you get a clear picture of what's going on with real (as opposed to promised) allocations and delivery timeframes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
gmoneyjive:

Westchester Audi is the same as Classic Automobiles. They are basically an Audi dealer but they are an authorized Lotus dealer as well. You are correct that there are only 2 dealers in New York.

smura:

I hear ya. I figured when I heard Feb/March it was going to be more like May/June which is actually fine with me.

I originally wanted to wait until I sat in and drove the car but now I figured it may be best to put down a deposit and take it from there. The only way I wouldn't take the car is if I don't fit comfortably (I am 6'2', 190lbs and long legs!)

The other car I was thinking about was the C6 but I am leaning toward the Lotus for a different driving experience since I have had 2 new Vettes in the last three years.

Still undecided if I should order the Hard Top as I have the feeling it will sit in the garage. I'm kinda lazy and if it don't fit in the car, I don't think I will ever use it. Just hope the soft top doesn't leak. Are most of you ordering the hard top?

Thansk for all your help on this.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Z0650TH said:
617arg:

Based on my conversation with the dealer, the car would come in approx. Feb/March and the price is MSRP.

The deposit is $1,000 and is fully refundable which is perfectly fair. I will most likely be going there tomorrow to leave my deposit.
I'll third the doubt about Feb/March. I've been on the list since
last October and am #25. I've been told next Feb/March. I think thats a realistic if dissapointing time frame.

Steve

·
Registered
513 Posts
Sownman said:
I'll third the doubt about Feb/March. I've been on the list since
last October and am #25. I've been told next Feb/March. I think thats a realistic if dissapointing time frame.

Steve
I'll fourth it. When I called around to 6 dealers in the PA-NJ-NY-CT area back in early april, Classic said it would be over a year, probably May-July '05 time frame. And that was before the car & driver, motor trend, etc. articles and all this other press came out. Unless they've had a SH*TLOAD of dropouts and no new deposits, it is impossible they will get you a car by next feb/march.

BUT, if you can, more power to ya. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Z0650TH said:
gmoneyjive:

Westchester Audi is the same as Classic Automobiles. They are basically an Audi dealer but they are an authorized Lotus dealer as well. You are correct that there are only 2 dealers in New York.
ok, just making sure.

I originally wanted to wait until I sat in and drove the car but now I figured it may be best to put down a deposit and take it from there. The only way I wouldn't take the car is if I don't fit comfortably (I am 6'2', 190lbs and long legs!)
Put the deposit down now!! I waited 3 or 4 months to put mine down because I knew I couldn't afford it till march of next year, now I'm gonna pay for it because everything is getting behind and I probably won't get it till mid to late summer. If you have any doubts, you can always take your deposit back. And 6'4 people fit fine, so should you.

Still undecided if I should order the Hard Top as I have the feeling it will sit in the garage. I'm kinda lazy and if it don't fit in the car, I don't think I will ever use it. Just hope the soft top doesn't leak. Are most of you ordering the hard top?
I'm definitely ordering it. I just think the car looks a helluva lot better with the hardtop. But since the hardtop takes a long time to take off/put on, I will only use it for 5 or so months during the winter. A guy in Austrailia said the new soft tops don't leak, and I haven't heard anyone else say they do, so I think Lotus solved the problem.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
gmoneyjive said:
A guy in Austrailia said the new soft tops don't leak, and I haven't heard anyone else say they do, so I think Lotus solved the problem.
I've heard of one 111R owner that had a slight leak problem, but at the service they adjusted the windows and took care of it.

Chris

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gmoneyjive & zvezdah1:

Thanks for the info. Good to know the soft top will not leak or is easily fixed!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
zo650,
I wrote in another thread that the car sat in a parking lot in torrential downpour with high winds for an hour as well as driving in it. Absolutely no leaks!
Chris

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
zvezdah1 said:
zo650,
I wrote in another thread that the car sat in a parking lot in torrential downpour with high winds for an hour as well as driving in it. Absolutely no leaks!
Chris
That certainly does it for me. :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm sorry I didnt see this thread earlier. I have a deposit with Classic Autos, I'm number 17, or I was back in April, dont know if anyone dropped out ahead of me. Barry Gorden has always seemed to be straight forward with me. First thing I did before I put down the deposit was to email him and find out if the deposit was refundable and if I could get the car at MSRP. He replied yes to both, and I placed my deposit. He has never told me anything that didnt seem to agree with what I read on the forum.
How close are you to the dealership? I'm about 5.5 hours away.
Did he say when they expect their demo?
Also, I no idea how many deposits they have taken now, about what number would you be on their list?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
z06fun said:
I'm sorry I didnt see this thread earlier. I have a deposit with Classic Autos, I'm number 17, or I was back in April, dont know if anyone dropped out ahead of me. Barry Gorden has always seemed to be straight forward with me. First thing I did before I put down the deposit was to email him and find out if the deposit was refundable and if I could get the car at MSRP. He replied yes to both, and I placed my deposit. He has never told me anything that didnt seem to agree with what I read on the forum.
How close are you to the dealership? I'm about 5.5 hours away.
Did he say when they expect their demo?
Also, I no idea how many deposits they have taken now, about what number would you be on their list?
Barry Gordon is also my sales guy on this purchase. I agree that he is very straight with information and a good guy to deal with. The demo is expected this week and I am planning on going up there this Saturday for a test drive, etc. If all turns out well I will be putting down my deposit. Not sure of the exact number I will be but I believe it is about 35.

I live about 1 hour away from the dealer so it will certainly be worth the trip. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts