The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my car aligned and corner balanced yesterday. According to the data sheet both left and right sides of the car have the same ride height and maintaining about a 1 degree rake. But when I look at the rear fender gap one side is higher than the other. Does this mean that my rear clam may not be sitting level?

·
Administrator
1,551 Posts
Depends when they corner balanced did they pre weight with 160# both seats as suggested by Lotus or just preload with your body weight in drivers seat?

·
Registered
368 Posts
if they balanced with you in the car (weighted) I’m sure they preloaded one side more then the other to make the corner weights correct, as a result when the car is unloaded, there extra preload is represented as increased (read different) ride hight on the corners...

·
Less is Better
2,632 Posts
It is VERY likely that the clam isn't completely even on both sides. Measure the distance from the ground to a chassis point and then the ground to the wheel arch. If it's difference is not the same left to right, the clam isn't even. I suspect most cars are uneven to some degree.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
216 Posts
I'm doing this now. The ride height is noticably different with and without the ballast in the car.

·
Administrator
1,551 Posts
All cars and setups will be a compromise and I was lucky enough to have the club scales for a week and played around with various wheels and weight combinations. I determined that the PO probably had it corner balanced with 175 and 160 in the seats and it was so close I left that alone. I did have 2mm added to the rear so I would be 5mm differance between front and rear. I set my LSS wheels at 128/133 and the 15/16 track setup at 120/125 when setting the camber and aligning after I installed V2 arms in January. Can't wait for a track day but on my epoxy garage floor it spins easily with one finger and the touch and feel at low speeds is so much lighter.

·
Administrator
1,551 Posts
Dup

·
Administrator
1,551 Posts
Then it's fine with nobody in to lean slightly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts