The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bypass valve is attached to the manifold where it will see boost pressure (see blue hose in pic). I seems like I read somewhere that it should be on a vacuum-only port (before the rotors). I have searched and searched but cannot find that statement again. Can someone confirm one way or the other?

Attachments

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
May have answered my own question with additional use of the interweb's magic. Found this on the Eaton site:

Q: What is this black plastic object on the side of my supercharger? What is a bypass valve?
A: That object is the bypass valve vacuum actuator. This unit has a vacuum port that connects to the supercharger inlet between the rotors and throttle body. This actuator opens and closes a bypass valve for the supercharger. This valve is open when throttle loads are low and closed when throttle loads are high. With the bypass valve open there is no pressure being created across the supercharger. This allows the supercharger to have an almost negligible parasitic loss in this condition. With the bypass valve closed, all airflow is routed through the supercharger and boost is created in the intake manifold. In some newer applications this actuator is also controlled by a solenoid.

The part I put in bold would seem to indicate that yes, mine is connected in the wrong spot. It has always worked well (about 20K miles).... not sure if the boost pressure could damage the actuator, or what the downside might be to this configuration. Can anyone verify where the actuator is connected for a stock setup?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts