The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking to the dealer today and the service adviser said that they could go through the whole car and tighten all the bolts and make sure everything is nice and tight and go over the car for rattles and just making sure the bolts are secured. I track the car quite a bit and thought this would be a good idea especially since I got some rattles that are bugging me. Anyways the adviser said this should be done every 2 years since the car is hand built.. I know since the car is tracked the bolts will get loose over time.

What do you guys think? They basically test drive the car and go over the rattles then fix those. Then go over all over the bolts and tighten them up/replace if needed.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Granted this is the first summer I have had this car but ... After ~5k miles of driving it I took it in for service and had them do this, and they found a handful of things that had loosened up; from what they say, its pretty common. I've also seen a post or two on here that talks about the stuff you need to check before a track day and it includes a bunch of fasteners you should look at... here is one: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/sector111-maintenance-thread-109039/

I say do it, and see if you like the results. Was a BIG difference in my case, and going forward I am going to see if I can handle more of it myself...

-Matt

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granted this is the first summer I have had this car but ... After ~5k miles of driving it I took it in for service and had them do this, and they found a handful of things that had loosened up; from what they say, its pretty common. I've also seen a post or two on here that talks about the stuff you need to check before a track day and it includes a bunch of fasteners you should look at... here is one: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/sector111-maintenance-thread-109039/

I say do it, and see if you like the results. Was a BIG difference in my case, and going forward I am going to see if I can handle more of it myself...

-Matt
Yeah thats what im thinking of doing. I do most of the maintenance and usually go over the car and stuff before and after track days. But this seems easier and plus they will fix the rattles/squeaks that I cant find/fix haha. Its not that expensive and I bet the car has a lot of loose bolts since its an 05 with 29,000 miles and 95% of the miles are track miles....

Thanks for your input!

-Chris

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did they charge you for the service?
ummm I think they are charging $435... Seems reasonable for test driving and going through almost every bolt in car... dash/seats/doors/engine bay/suspension etc... :confused:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
you just did your own clutch, but now want someone else to check the bolts?
If it rattles, track it down and tighten or tape it. Spend the $435 on booze and trackdays.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you just did your own clutch, but now want someone else to check the bolts?
If it rattles, track it down and tighten or tape it. Spend the $435 on booze and trackdays.
Haha I know it seems weird but I thought it would be something that would be worth doing especially since I don't have the time, tools, and knowledge to go over the whole car to torque everything down and change bolts that need to be replaced. I'm not talking about them going over the tranny. I'm confident now that everything was put on right and that I did a good job thanks to you for the help! My whole dash has a rattle and goes away when I hit the bottom aluminum but comes back when I hit a bump on the road and drives me crazy. I've tried to fix it but still can't find it. Also some other rattles I can't find/fix. Most of the rattles I fixed, its just 2-3 spots I can't find/ fix....

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
$435 to do that annoying job sounds fantastic to me! When I read your first post in the thread, my first thought was "where is this dealer?!" I was let down to see you are on the opposite coast from me or I would have them do this too. I'm thinking about going to my dealer to see if they would be willing...

Do it!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$435 to do that annoying job sounds fantastic to me! When I read your first post in the thread, my first thought was "where is this dealer?!" I was let down to see you are on the opposite coast from me or I would have them do this too. I'm thinking about going to my dealer to see if they would be willing...

Do it!
Exactly! Its annoying to drive the car / raise car then tighten / drive car again and raise it then tighten more stuff.... Id rather relax because this thing is an annoying job.. If it was something like installing a part or replacing a part I would do it myself tho.

Wouldn't hurt to ask... And Im not sure if the service has a real name. But its basically the bolt service hahah.... Or that's what im calling it. :nanner2:

Let me know what price they give you or if they are even willing to go over your car and tighten the bolts down. :popcorn:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts