The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on ordering a BRG car, and painting a pair of yellow stripes on it (ala Type 25). However, this means I cant have the clear bra installed in port. Will lotus/dealers be able to do this after delivery has been taken or will I need to find a reputable aftermarket installer?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
maybe for a healthy fee you could pursuade lotus to paint the stripes

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I wondered and worried about the same issue. I am just going to install the stripes over the 3m clear bra. I know the stripes wont have any protection but it is generally a small patch area and i can cheaply replace the Vinyl stripes when needed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, but i was planning on going with painting the stripes on, rather than vinyl

guess i'll just get the clear bra put on afterwards.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Order the car without the clear bra and get the stripes painted. I just had the 3M bra put on our Z4 - front, sills, door edges, mirrors, as well as the windows tinted for 800 bucks by a local 3m installer. You should be able to order the bra cut outs and have it installed locally. Your dealer probably has somebody that comes in and applies it to other cars.

I would really think twice about having the stripes put on over the clear bra. You are talking two layers of vinyl and there will definitely be a noticable bump where the 2 layers are.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Pre-cuts will surely be available in the fullness of time and/or you can order them from the UK (Armourfend) anyway 'cos 95% of the clams/panels are identical.

Any good/3M approved bra company can work from flat sheet anyway - just watched a guy do a Mini that way and it was perfect - you just need to check out a few dealers and their work and find a good one.

Paul

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
totally- maybe you would be willing to drive to the install point Lotus uses on the west coast and with help from your dealer you would be able to arrange a post-striping install by lotus. may be wrth a try

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I emailed the company that is doing the installs for the east coast Lotus dealers asking if they could do it at their shop which is about 2 hours away from me, since I wanted to have stripes put on too, and it would be easier tahtnn taking the car 6 hours away to the port.

They never got back to me. Probably up to there eyeballs in clearbra installs right now for Lotus and dont need any extra business.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
xxxotic said:
I emailed the company that is doing the installs for the east coast Lotus dealers asking if they could do it at their shop which is about 2 hours away from me, since I wanted to have stripes put on too, and it would be easier tahtnn taking the car 6 hours away to the port.

They never got back to me. Probably up to there eyeballs in clearbra installs right now for Lotus and dont need any extra business.
That seems like a good idea...I am sure they would do it:)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I'd never use a pressure washer on any vehicle I cared about.
Ouch. If you think it's ok, try spraying your leg with it first!:D
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Interesting, I guess the pressure washer could get under the edge?

Makes me wonder about all those car owners with film that use car washes. Not that I intend on using a car wash... but others do and even some Elise owners will. It seems a component of many car washes is a higher pressure spray. Is that less than what what considers a high pressure washer? When one uses the term high pressure washer, that includes those drive in places you use coins to activate?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Most car care instructions I've ever read say high pressure washing is a no-no, great potential for damage to the paint. But guess the spray could possibly get under an edge.
Chris

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yep , a decent pressure washer will very effectively lift the edge and get under your bra... in fact, in answer to the bra removal thread I'd probably recommend this approach!

:)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Interesting, I guess the pressure washer could get under the edge?

Makes me wonder about all those car owners with film that use car washes.
I use a Karcher 5HP pressure-washer on my car each time I wash it, with a 15-degree nozzle. That gives a nice fan-out, without being too agressive. To put it in perspective, I can spray my bare feet down to about 6-7 inches before it hurts. I wash the car at about 10 inches, further around trimwork, and closer on the wheels.

I have some factory 3M material on the fenders and it has never been a problem.

So long as you don't use the needle-point "0-degree" tip or get aggressively close, the pressure sprayer is very nice for car washing.

After an initial spraying with the wand, the wash mit has a much easier time cleaning up any stuck-on bits without worrying about the dirt/grit that could be scratching the finish. For this reason, I get less wash-swirls and a nearly-clean wash bucket.

And last, there's a deep satisfaction in seeing the black water that flows off the wheels as the pressure washer knocks all the brake dust away.

I have been doing this for years, and never peeled paint, film, or lifted any bodywork. If you have a spare hood around, see how close you can spray it before leaving a visible mark on the paint. I tried it on some plastic, and it left marks at around 3 inches with the 15-degree nozzle.

That said, my pressure washer will never visit the Elise. There is just too much trimwork, access ports, openings, and film corners. There just isn't enough wide-open paneling to need machines, and high pressure into openings is a bad idea. A hose spray and soapy hand rub will be fine.

Okay, maybe the wheels...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The reason for my asking is it is not uncommon for me to end up in some strange town, and the only place for a wash is one of those coin-fed sprayer places.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is something I havent thought about, but I do intend on taking the elise to one of the touchless tracked washes where the attendents work on the car before and after, but the main part of the wash is automated. is this going to cause problems? the only problems I can see are the wheels + the tracks and the clearbra, but how big of an issue is this going to be? It's starting to look like the elise is going to be hand-wash-only.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'd be in mortal fear visiting one of those track-carriage washes.

First, the water jets are amazingly high pressure, and will spray just as hard into the vent ports, radiator fins, and engine bay! Yikes.

Second, the rims will probably get abused by the track system. The one at the Chevron nearby scratches them all the time, and has a big banner warning users that unless they have SUV-sized sidewalls, stay out of the machine.

The car is small enough that a full handwash won't take that long anyway. It's like washing a motorcycle, only without all the chrome bits. :)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Some PICS for your review.... One shows a bubble under the clear bra....and two show the sticker letters for LOTUS on the rear of the car.

Stan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts