The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm wondering how much of a demand the seats will be in the Elise and if they fit in other cars. The reason is, I have an S2000, and the seats in those cars are very high theft items and result in cut tops, waiting for replacement seats and high dollar prices. I think the most recent replacement cost for the insurance was 7-8k for the set of two.

Will there be a demand for these seats and how hard are they to replace.

I don't even know if you can use the Elise seats in any other car, but the steal the S2000 seats for other Honda and Acura cars.

I want to take my Elise on road trips, but don't want to worry about it too much when I park at a hotel or something. I'd rather they just steal the whole car than slash the top and take my seats!

Any thoughts?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think that higher end Hondas have more of a problem because of the market to rice up....er....enhance the lower end Hondas. So things on a Type R for example, are often taken. In fact, anything that fits on a Civic can be seen as valuable.

I don't see the Elise having the same issue, without a lot of people talking about how the Elise seats fit perfect into a lowered Civic. And even then, it's a little conspicuous compared to S2000 seats.

The issue of cut tops for people who want to steal the radio is a more possible issue IMO.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Not to mention that getting the seats out of an Elise is a procedure filled with lots of swearwords and other creative language :D as you battle to undo some of the rear bolts which are almost impossible to reach (esp. on the non-moving passenger seat...)

Not a quick job!

The seats themselves are also side-mounts, and most 'regular' cars use bottom mounts, so they won't even fit directly..

Oh.. For those of you looking to fit other seats in the Elise (eg. with belt holes for a 4/5/6 point harness): the car is very narrow and off the shelf race seats don't fit, unless you leave the passenger seat out completely. Especially at the top/shoulder area it's tricky...

Either that or leave the normal passenger seat in place and accept that the driver's seat will hit the passenger seat if you move it backwards.

For this reason does the Lotus Corbeau race seat only come in a driver's seat (with belt slots) and a re-trimmed normal seat (without belt slots)

The only options you have to fit 2 'race' seats with harness cutouts are the official Lotus seats like those from the 340R or optional on the Exige (hideously expensive at about $1500 each!) or some aftermarket suppliers (like the reverie carbon seat previously seen on the site here or the ones from www.eliseparts.com)

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry to go off topic, but 4 point harnesses are compatible with stock seats. So no reason to change the seats(which seems to be bucket seats anyways) to fit harnesses.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
FederalElise said:
Sorry to go off topic, but 4 point harnesses are compatible with stock seats. So no reason to change the seats(which seems to be bucket seats anyways) to fit harnesses.
No offense, but I feel much more secure in a decent six point harness. The anti-sub belt is worth its weight. What are your knees worth to you?

·
Registered
118 Posts
NMRJock said:
No offense, but I feel much more secure in a decent six point harness. The anti-sub belt is worth its weight. What are your knees worth to you?
Naw, not me, I'm waiting for the Titanium upgrade.:D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I think that higher end Hondas have more of a problem because of the market to rice up....er....enhance the lower end Hondas. So things on a Type R for example, are often taken. In fact, anything that fits on a Civic can be seen as valuable.

I don't see the Elise having the same issue, without a lot of people talking about how the Elise seats fit perfect into a lowered Civic. And even then, it's a little conspicuous compared to S2000 seats.

The issue of cut tops for people who want to steal the radio is a more possible issue IMO.
Cursed be the ricers! and Death be to them all [email protected]#

·
Registered
302 Posts
NMRJock said:
There are anti-submarine 4 point harnesses out there - they feature a loop arrangement that goes around each leg. Some racers use them. Probably easier on the body parts should one get in a front ender. I'll probably use them in the Lotus.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
YOu guys wanting to put racing harnesses in must not be planning on doing much driving, had em in my caterham and they were a pain to deal with on a day to day basis.
Chris

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
YOu guys wanting to put racing harnesses in must not be planning on doing much driving, had em in my caterham and they were a pain to deal with on a day to day basis.
Chris
You don't have to take out your three point to put in a harness. The harness is just for the track/autocrosses. The rest of the time you use the stock three-point.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
FederalElise said:
Umm.. You can fit 4-points with the normal seats, but Lotus does not reccommend it.

The problem is that, because there are no belt slots, the shoulder belts have to loop around the headrest/back and this creates the risk that in a crash the belts will separate, slide off your shoulders and allow you to 'kiss the windscreen'...

True.. Many people in europe use it this way, but I personally wouldn't. Saving up for a set of seats (with belt holes) from www.eliseparts.com and harnesses.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Arno said:
Umm.. You can fit 4-points with the normal seats, but Lotus does not reccommend it.

The problem is that, because there are no belt slots, the shoulder belts have to loop around the headrest/back and this creates the risk that in a crash the belts will separate, slide off your shoulders and allow you to 'kiss the windscreen'...

True.. Many people in europe use it this way, but I personally wouldn't. Saving up for a set of seats (with belt holes) from www.eliseparts.com and harnesses.

Bye, Arno.
4 point harnesses requires you to attach the belts onto structural parts of the car. You can't just loop it around, especially if you intend to use it at the track. You can't just get a sports seat, you'll need a bar included in a kit

For installation guide, check here.
http://www.lotus-elise.nl/Mods/Rims___tyres/Harnesses/harnesses.html

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Correct. That's always required.

You have to use a bar, but the belts still have to go around the seat/headrest and this is what can cause the issue.

Also with the regular seats you *must* use bolt-in belts and not the type that is wrapped around the harness bar, as these *will* move apart. (fine on a race seat though.)

On a seat with belt slots the shoulder belts will run almost vertical (depends a bit on the construction) and very close to your neck, so no risk of them separating.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Arno said:
Correct. That's always required.

You have to use a bar, but the belts still have to go around the seat/headrest and this is what can cause the issue.

Also with the regular seats you *must* use bolt-in belts and not the type that is wrapped around the harness bar, as these *will* move apart. (fine on a race seat though.)

On a seat with belt slots the shoulder belts will run almost vertical (depends a bit on the construction) and very close to your neck, so no risk of them separating.

Bye, Arno.
As you can see in the webpage, the harness + bar system used does have fixed location of belts, thus wouldn't seperate. This allows users to use stock seats and save a lot of hassel and money.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is my set-up (see attached picture). Bar behind seats and the harness is bolted on the bar itself. Arno: this shouldn't seperate right?

Just figured out last week that in an accident where I had to duck, I would have a problem, since the harness doesn't give in (doh) I would be unable to... No solution to this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
armitage said:
This is my set-up (see attached picture). Bar behind seats and the harness is bolted on the bar itself. Arno: this shouldn't seperate right?
It should be OK as long as you make sure that the belts are really tightly done up, so they can't slip off your shoulder.

You will have noticed that the shoulder belts in your configuration run across the outer edge of your shoulders and somewhat diagonal to the buckle.

If you were to have seats with belt slots then you could use a different harness bar where the belt attachment points are closer together.

In such a case would the shoulder belts run close to your neck and pretty much in a straight line downwards. A configuration like this:

Such a seat/bar/harness conbination would be the 'best', but is of course significantly more expensive..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,644 Posts
In my Miata I have the shoulder belts mounted at the same spot behind each seat, so they can't separate. Something similiar should be able to be done with the Elise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts