The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question about the tail lights on the Elise. I wanted to know if all of the four tail lights are the same size? I am interested in this because I don't like the amber circles that are in the center of the outer most two lights and I wanted to know if I would be able to replace them with another set of the inner tails that are red with a clear circle in the middle. If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Thanks -Michael.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow... all I did was ask if the tails were the same size and you immediately think that changing out a tail light will make it look like a 1990 crx. I said that I wanted to put red w/clear(the same tail light as what is on the inner tails in the rear), not altezzas wise ass. Red with clear definately looks much cleaner in my opinion then amber, but you can think what you would like. I don't understand most of you guys on this board, you think that by changing anything on the elise it will only make it worse looking or performing. Whatever, i'll figure it out when the car arrives. -Michael.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Michael,
I think he was just pulling your leg!

It's your car and you do with it as you wish. I like the tailight config you mention but can only guess at just how much that lense will be under Lotus parts pricing!!:D

Chris

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
We're just giving you a hard time. :D As I remember (from my demo drive) the lights are the same size. I didn't measure them but they "looked" like they were the same size

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
i AM just very mUch wondering, how many shop dip wheel in chrome for elise?

I liek for to haeving it that ways because make girls happie at me!!!1!1

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Pretty sure they're the same size, but don't know if the opening in the back and attachment points are the same, also the bulb config, etc.
Chris

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
i AM just very mUch wondering, how many shop dip wheel in chrome for elise?

I liek for to haeving it that ways because make girls happie at me!!!1!1
One of my friends does Chrome for vettes and he has been asking me if he can chrome my Elise wheels...I said over my dead body:no:

·
Registered
368 Posts
MOKOSpeeD said:
:eek: :no:
I'm no help anyways.
No offense Mr 1hotbmw, I just luuv making fun of people. I'd actually like to see what your car would look like when the lights are switched out. I would help if I could but I'm useless.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Chroming your wheels will weaken them. Some companies can polish your rims and create a similar look without weakening them.

I like black wheels but many find them hideous. Personally I like variety and look forward to the different ideas people come up with. Your tail light idea sound simple and clean.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
If I remember correctly, doesn't it add quite a bit of weight as well?
Not really, it is a very thin coating.

The bad thing in my experience is the galvanic corrossion that you create by the different in aluminum and chrome. I guess it depends on how well the shop does it, but I have seen the chrome coming off or eating into the aluminum after a few years.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I've also seen chromed lugs to match, that when taken off, were permanently damaged and needed replacement.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
1HOTBMW said:
I don't understand most of you guys on this board, you think that by changing anything on the elise it will only make it worse looking or performing.
Well, no. I would only point out that the amber is probably the turn signal. While it's true that some car companies chintz out and use red for the turn signal, the amber is clearly more obvious to the person behind you. When he sees amber, he immediately knows you're turning. When he sees flashing red, it takes a second to determine if it's a turn or a brake. It's just not as clear.

So replacing the lens actually reduces the safety margin, albeit by a very small amount. (Clearly not as bad as tinting the brake lights, using headlight covers, etc.)

That would be my objection. People should feel free to customize their cars -- variety is the spice of life. But when it reduces safety, purely for the sake of appearance, I just have to shake my head and wonder why.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
It is possible however to make a (virtually) clear unit that when activated, still flashes orange...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts