The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know what colors and options to order for your inventory? Is there some type of guideline or do you go by what colors and options have sold well in the past?

Are there regional differences (ie: West Coast seems to prefers black, silvers and Storm while Mid-West prefers Yellow, Chrome Orange, etc.)

How do you know how many LSD or track packs to order? Or Exige S, Exige 240, or California editions?

It's just something I've always wondered about.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'd like to ask all the dealers/sales people on the board WHY they think track pack AND touring pack is a good idea on exiges...

Is it just because it's "fully loaded" that way? All the options?

I wonder if Lotus had specified Track OR Touring, what most people would have ordered.

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'd like to ask all the dealers/sales people on the board WHY they think track pack AND touring pack is a good idea on exiges...

Is it just because it's "fully loaded" that way? All the options?

I wonder if Lotus had specified Track OR Touring, what most people would have ordered.

Cheers,
-Darryl
no kidding... it should be hard to find a touring pack on a lot

and I dont understand the fascination with leather seats to begin with its a lotus not a lexus :crazyeyes

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dealers make a higher profit margin percentage wise off options than they do off the base price.

·
Registered
459 Posts
How do you know what colors and options to order for your inventory? Is there some type of guideline or do you go by what colors and options have sold well in the past?

Are there regional differences (ie: West Coast seems to prefers black, silvers and Storm while Mid-West prefers Yellow, Chrome Orange, etc.)

How do you know how many LSD or track packs to order? Or Exige S, Exige 240, or California editions?

It's just something I've always wondered about.
Generally it's what has sold in the past, and sticking to colors that have mass market appeal. Krypton Green is my favorite color, but I doubt I'd ever order one, since it isn't as popular as Chrome Orange, Persian Blue or Ardent Red.

In the Bay Area we get every car with a hardtop since it rains enough, and every car gets Starshield.

I won't order a Exige S anymore; I'd rather just stock up on 240's. I've sold a few of the launch 240's, and those all came the same way, and I didn't have a choice on the options. I have one 240 in stock now, and I don't have another on order just yet, but chances are when I order it I might not order an LSD for it. I can always add one for someone, but I can't take one away.

Same goes for ordering Touring packs. While ET'ers are a big part of the buying market, many people come in and want the creature comfort of the Touring pack. Personally, if I were looking to buy an Elise, having a Touring pack wouldn't bother me one way or another. I wouldn't go out of my way to find one, nor would I pass on one that had it. Most customers we've had treat it the same way, so we try to stock the majority of Elises with it, and a few without.

If we couldn't order Touring on top of a track pack or sport pack, I'd probably cut it up the middle and order them 50/50 both ways.

We do get more profit margin with the more options, but it isn't a huge increase, so it doesn't influence us too much that way.

Once again, it's all about mass market appeal. It's easier to close someone on a small option like a Touring pack, but sometimes harder to close them on a car that doesn't have it. Per the special editions, we like to keep them around, so we got one of each color California, one Type 72D (loved that one), and plan on getting more of any special edition that comes out. We did miss the boat on the 2-11, but after I talked with the owners, they didn't see the market for that one (I still say they were wrong on that one).

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Brendan, just wanted to thank you for actually answering Allan's question and with good information. I learned something. Little things like that make you stick out. Good job!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
no kidding... it should be hard to find a touring pack on a lot

and I dont understand the fascination with leather seats to begin with its a lotus not a lexus :crazyeyes
I dig the leather just because it is a little tougher than cloth over the long term.

Properly cared for, leather will last much longer than cloth as well.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I notice every car dealers order happens to be Saffron Yellow, Ardent Red, Graphite Grey or Storm Titanium :p
Thank you too Brendan. I appreciate the insight.

In terms of the packages. And it makes sense, if I was torn between a base Silver vs. a fully loaded Storm Ti, I'd probably go with the STi. If cost was an issue, then it won't even be a consideration.

I was also wondering why so many dealers seem to have black, silver, and STi - which is kind of why I started this thread. I suppose those would have more of a mass market appeal than Canyon Red, Magnetic Blue, or Chrome Orange.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I agree with jlj3394 on the leather and Allan Gibbs on the base car vs. a loaded STi.

I would definitely pass on a non-Touring Pack car, as I like the look and feel of the option, but would consider a non-Track Pack car because I would prefer to add the Nitron Sport Pro’s anyway for the canyons around here where I plan to spend most of my drive time. LSD is another question though, as I am still wading through the endless debates on that subject, but ultimately, if it was the color I prefer (STi or GG) and the right price, I would take a non-LSD and add a Quaife for the twisty bits.

Nice info - thanks!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Just a thought, and I may be wrong, but have any dealers considered ordering, on OCCASION, a wacky color like IG, BO, Candy Red, etc. because of the idea that someone out there will look at the car, see it in the "perfect" color, see the car in a completely different light, and maybe they will buy it?

Love it-or-Hate it colors usually split people between loving them and hating them, obviously. It might not have mass appeal, but to those it will appeal to, it will appeal to much more greatly, generating a relatively easy sale.

Imagine if you have never really paid attention to Lotuses before. You walk into a dealership and see the every-day AR and STi cars and are left unimpressed. But you see the Burnt Orange and think, "Wow! That's really different and really stands out!"

I guess what I'm saying is there are potential owners who would buy the cars to stand out, and the stand-out colors only make the deal that much sweeter

That was hard to explain. Hope it made sense.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
... I was also wondering why so many dealers seem to have black, silver, and STi - which is kind of why I started this thread. ...

Because Americans are terribly boring when it comes to car colors. Take a good look at any parking lot and imagine you were viewing it on a black & white TV. Would it look any different? Or, when you're at a traffic light, count the "colors" of the cars as they go by. Black, white and every variation of greige in between with an occasional red one. Most of the blues and greens are so dark you can't tell they aren't black until you get within six feet of them in bright sunlight. Then look at the interiors. Black or medium greige.

(Greige = some color along the boring grey to beige continuum)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just a thought, and I may be wrong, but have any dealers considered ordering, on OCCASION, a wacky color like IG, BO, Candy Red, etc. because of the idea that someone out there will look at the car, see it in the "perfect" color, see the car in a completely different light, and maybe they will buy it?

Love it-or-Hate it colors usually split people between loving them and hating them, obviously. It might not have mass appeal, but to those it will appeal to, it will appeal to much more greatly, generating a relatively easy sale.

Imagine if you have never really paid attention to Lotuses before. You walk into a dealership and see the every-day AR and STi cars and are left unimpressed. But you see the Burnt Orange and think, "Wow! That's really different and really stands out!"

I guess what I'm saying is there are potential owners who would buy the cars to stand out, and the stand-out colors only make the deal that much sweeter

I thought exactly that about the Burnt Orange color and toyed around with it in my head for awhile. I saw it in the inventory photos of the San Francisco Lotus dealer that advertises on this forum. One of my daughters is a graphic design student in SF and she went by the dealer to look. She said, "Dad, they have that orange color you talked about and this bright green-something color. Really, Dad, orange and green are for vegetables, not cars."

That took a bit of the fun out of it.......back to greys (I am not a red person, though that is 3rd on my list as I think that Chili red looks terrific).

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because Americans are terribly boring when it comes to car colors. Take a good look at any parking lot and imagine you were viewing it on a black & white TV. Would it look any different? Or, when you're at a traffic light, count the "colors" of the cars as they go by. Black, white and every variation of greige in between with an occasional red one. Most of the blues and greens are so dark you can't tell they aren't black until you get within six feet of them in bright sunlight. Then look at the interiors. Black or medium greige.

(Greige = some color along the boring grey to beige continuum)
I was also thinking beyond Lotus when I made this post. I WAS also looking at Audi TTs and most their colors in the two LA dealers I looked at are mostly either black or white (okay, granted TTs only come in like 6 colors but why limit yourself to 2).

·
Registered
459 Posts

We ordered a few in wacky colors before I was a manager here, and they sat like crazy. When they sold, they did hold all the gross, as the customer was deep in the gotta have it mindset. You do gamble though, as do I pay flooring to make a full MSRP deal on the car in 9 months, or pay flooring for 2-3 months to move the car at a fair price for both parties? Chevy orders Corvettes in wacky colors now and again, and they have had the same result, where the car sits till the right person sees it and falls in love. It does work, but dealerships don't like having inventory turn over at a rate that slow.

Now that the rush has gone away, I have open allocation to order someone exactly what they want, so if someone tells me "I want XZY options in Isotope Green," I just order them one the way they want it. That way they get exactly what they want, and I don't have to pay flooring on it for months till they stumble across it on eBay or Craigslist and have a eureka moment. :D

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
First off, Brendan thank you.

We (HRM/ Lotus of Greenwich) pretty much ordered our cars as Brendan does. All cars get hardtops (N.E weather). If a customer doesn't want it, we'll take it off, credit him and put it in our parts inventory. All cars get touring as we rarely get someone who doesn't want it on a new car. If they do, they typically are the type who would be willing to order one without it. HRM applies their own invisible paint protection so no cars for inventory were ordered with starshield unless it was for a customer and they requested it. This was better for custom paint and stripes. Sport pack on Elise was a 50/50 thing. Most of our SC Elise are ordered with it. We typically didn't order cars with track pack as most of the equipment could easily be added later and most of our buyers interested in the package would rather have had Ohlins, Nitrons, Etc.

Colors were typically orange, yellow, ardent red, white, black, graphite grey, storm titanium. Best selling color was Laser Blue but I tried not to order it as I may come off biased.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Brendan,

I have a constructive criticism of your website if you care to listen.

Posting pics, colors and options of the cars you have in inventory might help your sales a great deal. When I search your inventory, I see you have a couple 2008 Elises and a couple 240 Exiges and that's about it. No colors, options, MSRP or anything. Personally, I like to "window shop" and know what you have in stock before I make a call.

Also thanks for the insight as far as what dealers order and what's the driving factors. Very enlightening.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brendan,

I have a constructive criticism of your website if you care to listen.

Posting pics, colors and options of the cars you have in inventory might help your sales a great deal. When I search your inventory, I see you have a couple 2008 Elises and a couple 240 Exiges and that's about it. No colors, options, MSRP or anything. Personally, I like to "window shop" and know what you have in stock before I make a call.

Also thanks for the insight as far as what dealers order and what's the driving factors. Very enlightening.
I agree. I also look at dealer's sites for inventory and if someone on Elisetalk is looking for something, I'll refer them to that dealer's site.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts