The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to make some MP3 CDs just in case I want to listen to something other than the engine from time to time.... In the past I have done this from MP3s downloaded from BearShare and other sites, without difficulty... But recently I have accumulated a fairly good sized collection of music from iTunes and have made regular music CDs with these songs in the past, but when I try to make MP3 CDs from the iTunes collection, using the iTunes burner, it will only allow me to burn my other (non-iTunes) music on the MP3 CD, saying the iTunes songs are "protected".... I contacted Apple, and they said that the music downloaded from iTunes, which is in AAC format, is protected and cannot be converted to MP3 to burn an MP3 CD.. I can't imagine that there isn't some way around this - it would not exactly encourage me to use their service to get any more music - sure I can make regular CDs, or get an ipod to put the music on, but I should also be able to put the music on an MP3 CD...... I suppose I could burn the music to regular CDs and then from those CD3 get the music back onto my computer and converted into MP3, but that seems like too much work...Maybe there is another MP3 burner that can convert these "protected" AAC files to MP3 and allow me to burn them onto an MP3 CD...Any advice would be appreciated....

·
Registered
971 Posts
If you've already burned them to a CD, then just copy them from the CD to MP3 format. When I to take songs from LP to my Nomad, I have to go LP to .WAV to CD to .WMA. It takes a bit of time, but I don't get the same quality if I go straight from .WAV to .WMA.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so let me get this straight - I can either:

a. download songs illegally for free and burn directly to MP3 CD

or

b. pay to legally download from iTunes in which case if I want to put them on MP3CD I must:
burn them to a regular music CD (actually multiple CDs)
rip the songs from the music CDs to my computer
then I can burn MP3 CDS

not likely to encourage me to keep using iTunes...

if I get caught illegally downloading, I will just try the speeding ticket avoidance techniques posted in another thread:D

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sorry Ivan, but that is about the gist of it. Of course you could just get an iPod and the AUX in cable for the stereo, I'm sure you're iTunes would work that way.:D

Actually, the other benefit to my time consuming way of transfering music is that I own the LP or CD so I'm not stealing the music, I'm legally backing up my copy.:D

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ivan, that's true, iTunes doesn't make it easy to burn mp3 CDs. However, it still works great as a music cataloging program if you don't own an iPod. One feature I like is integration with Limewire (file sharing program). Download a song in Limewire (err, not that I ever do that ;)), the song is automatically copied to your iTunes library and added to a special Playlist for you to review it (in case it's crap).

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
ivan1 said:
so let me get this straight - I can either:

a. download songs illegally for free and burn directly to MP3 CD

or

b. pay to legally download from iTunes in which case if I want to put them on MP3CD I must:
burn them to a regular music CD (actually multiple CDs)
rip the songs from the music CDs to my computer
then I can burn MP3 CDS
That's how the record companies want it. If you could make MP3s directly than all their fancy copy protection would be for nothing. It's not really iTunes' fault.

That said, there are easy tools to unlock your MP4s out there. One was called FairPlay, but I think they keep changing the name to stay ahead of the lawsuits.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
andykeck said:
That said, there are easy tools to unlock your MP4s out there. One was called FairPlay, but I think they keep changing the name to stay ahead of the lawsuits.
Right...it's currently going by the name Hymn (can be found by doing a Google search for "hymn project"). However, once unlocked, it's still in m4p format, which is, as far as I know, unreadable by most all in-car CD players.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
MattG said:
Right...it's currently going by the name Hymn (can be found by doing a Google search for "hymn project"). However, once unlocked, it's still in m4p format, which is, as far as I know, unreadable by most all in-car CD players.
Yeah, but once it's unlocked you can convert it to MP3 without the workaround of burning an audio CD.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
andykeck said:
Yeah, but once it's unlocked you can convert it to MP3 without the workaround of burning an audio CD.
I didn't know that! Will iTunes do so automatically if you tell it to burn a disc of mp3s and select m4p files?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
MattG said:
I didn't know that! Will iTunes do so automatically if you tell it to burn a disc of mp3s and select m4p files?
Well I thought it would, but apparently no. I just loaded up a playlist full of m4a files that I had just imported from cd (so no copy protection) and it told me it couldn't do it. Which sucks. However, I was able to select the files and manually convert them to mp3s and burn them. Then I just have to decide what to do with the duplicates as that process leaves you with mp3 and m4a files for each song.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
MattG said:
Just a warning to anyone using Hymn: the latest version of iTunes (4.6) will recognize that the song was once encrypted, and will refuse to play it. There is a workaround, but it's not easy. More details can be found here.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sounds like a great idea especially since you can use the stereo controls on the steering wheel to control the ipod...

Update 3: Apple, BMW Introduce IPod Adapter
06.23.2004, 09:01 AM

Apple Computer Inc. and BMW Group have introduced an adapter that allows iPod and BMW customers to plug their music collections directly into their car sound systems.

The two companies worked for a year to jointly develop the system that will work in BMW's newer model 3 Series, Z4 Roadster, X3 and X5 sports utility vehicles and the Mini Cooper.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs on Monday called the product a groundbreaking move - one he hopes will lead to more integrated products between the auto industry and Apple's hot-selling iPod portable music player.

Current iPod owners usually resort to third-party products, ranging from FM transmitters and cassette adapters, to use their iPods in their cars.

"These solutions are all Rube Goldberg. They're pretty ugly and they all require you to take your hands off the steering wheel to control them," Jobs said in an interview. "This adapter is really the first big step to marry an iPod to an automobile."

With the BMW and Mini iPod system, the adapter is connected directly to the car's stereo controls behind the glove compartment and only a cable inside the glove compartment would be used to plug in the iPod and simultaneously supply power to the music player.

From the steering wheel or car stereo buttons, drivers would be able to control the volume and shuffle songs and playlists - but only up to five special "BMW" playlists that users specially compile. The stereo display would list a track number - not the title, at least not yet, Jobs said.

The BMW iPod Adapter costs $149 and installation at BMW centers will cost an additional $149, said Tom Purves, chairman and chief executive of BMW of North America. They will be available starting July 12 for 2002 to 2004 models. The Mini Cooper iPod adapters will be available later in the summer.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
OK, time to revive this thread...

does anyone know what format itunes "mp3 cds" and/or "data cds" are in? I've now made two cds that just say "cd/mp3 read error" when I stick them in.

I got as far as converting my AACs to MP3s, and making a playlist, etc, but I can't seem to make a CD that works. Any tips? Thanks...

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you are using a Mac you can just burn an MP3 CD from iTunes and it works fine in the Blaupunkt radio.

Go to iTunes>preferences>burning and make sure MP3 CD is checked, not Audio CD or Data CD.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
That was pretty much the first thing I tried, but no luck. The only thing I can find in the manual that might be a problem is they tell you not to burn faster than 16x, but the default setting is "as fast as possible", which I _think_ is 24x on my powerbook. So I'm trying again w/ 12x just to be safe.

On the bright side, I'm getting good at taking the car cover on and off each time I go try out a new CD...what, me? over-protective? ;)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
ex-M3 said:
If you are using a Mac you can just burn an MP3 CD from iTunes and it works fine in the Blaupunkt radio.

Go to iTunes>preferences>burning and make sure MP3 CD is checked, not Audio CD or Data CD.
Do you find that the song names / tags work correctly? When I tried letting iTunes do all the rip & burn work, I got a CD that played fine in the Blaupunkt radio, but would only display "D02 T04" instead of the actual tag.

Ripping with another (tag v1.1) ripper worked much better.

I haven't had any trouble playing MP3 CDs on the LA radio -- works fine, even if the display is really weak, littered with flashing lights and only one line of useful text.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Do you find that the song names / tags work correctly? When I tried letting iTunes do all the rip & burn work, I got a CD that played fine in the Blaupunkt radio, but would only display "D02 T04" instead of the actual tag.

Ripping with another (tag v1.1) ripper worked much better.

I haven't had any trouble playing MP3 CDs on the LA radio -- works fine, even if the display is really weak, littered with flashing lights and only one line of useful text.
It works fine in my car. Mine was "upgraded" to the Acapulco and I checked your manual and it works a little different. Your radio uses softkeys and one of these keys I think will be labeled Tag and you want to toggle this to Tag On. Mine uses a different key, but I can get the same D (directory) 02 / T (track) 04 like you are seeing.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
OK, still no luck here. Can someone with an alcapolco (preferably the MP54), tell me what brand/model of CD-R they are using? I've read the manual 5 times over now and the only helpful thing I can find is to try using different brands and "colors" of CD media.

I'm currently using some that say "Sony DC-R SUPERMAS 700MB" on them. Should I be getting the 650MB ones? anyway, if anyone can tell me exaclt what has worked for them, I could eliminate one variable at least. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts