The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after finally having my ECU sent to me via an oxcart over the andes I got it today and I was a happy chap!! Bolted it in, started up the car and it came to life with no CELs

So after it warmed up I went for a drive, laughed hysterically a lot (power and noise is fantastic:evil: its definitely got some get up and go!),i've never owned a car with aftermarket injectors, but those things click away pretty loudly, is that normal?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Well after finally having my ECU sent to me via an oxcart over the andes I got it today and I was a happy chap!! Bolted it in, started up the car and it came to life with no CELs, but i noticed it was like spitting raw gasoline out the tailpipe so I was like man this is running rich. The car smells like its catless but its not. I thought it was just maybe the ECU needed some time adjust

So after it warmed up I went for a drive, laughed hysterically a lot (power and noise is fantastic its definitely got some get up and go!), came back shut it off. It sat for a while and I decided to go for another drive. Turned on the car and got a CEL Checked the code and suprise suprise, the code read "running too rich" (meanwhile its still spitting gas out the pipe). I got on it past a friend and he said you could clearly smell the gas.

So my questions are...did anyone else experience this? did I get the wrong tune perhaps? what can I do to fix this?

I cleared the code, and after a while it came back on again. Cleared it once more and its stayed off for the meantime but will most likely come back again.

Also under some partial throttle load conditions (around 3k rpm) I heard what I thought was weird noise coming from the engine bay but my tech said it sounds like detonation.

Of final note, i've never owned a car with aftermarket injectors, but those things click away pretty loudly, is that normal too?
be careful if its spitting gas constantly, it can ignite the clam depending on your exhaust type.

injectors shouldnt be that noisy, if its running rich it could be an injector problem.

if its running super rich it shouldnt detonate, it'll sound like pop rocks at about 4500-5000 rpm

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ well i figured i would talk to fred first tomorrow, hence the edit. however, you are probably right on the injector thing, i'll have to check their seating and all the plugs and connectors everything asap tomorrow morning :(

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Well after finally having my ECU sent to me via an oxcart over the andes I got it today and I was a happy chap!! Bolted it in, started up the car and it came to life with no CELs

So after it warmed up I went for a drive, laughed hysterically a lot (power and noise is fantastic:evil: its definitely got some get up and go!),i've never owned a car with aftermarket injectors, but those things click away pretty loudly, is that normal?

Why did you edit your post to remove this section?

"Turned on the car and got a CEL Checked the code and suprise suprise, the code read "running too rich" (meanwhile its still spitting gas out the pipe). I got on it past a friend and he said you could clearly smell the gas.

So my questions are...did anyone else experience this? did I get the wrong tune perhaps? what can I do to fix this?"

This is concerning.

·
Registered
547 Posts
He already just mentioned why the edit. I wouldn't be too concerned. If the tune needs to be changed they will take care of you asap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts