The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you heard (personally or via internet forums) of many instances where someone backs into either the front or back of an Miata, MR2, or other very low-small car (lower Civics/Acuras)?

I'm not too concerned about street/parallel parking, but what worries me is that someone from the opposite end of a parking grid, will continue to back up and crunch either the front or back of my Elise.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I have had someone back into me 3 times in 30 years. Once in a mid size Audi. One in my old GTO. I think once was in my Supra. None of those were that small.

In 14 years of driving the MR2, I never had it happen and I don't think I have read an inordinate number of threads/posts about it happening. Some of that could also be attributed to my trying to be alert and ready to move into reverse and use the horn.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I've had 5 miatas in the past 7 years, all lowered, and never had anyone back into me...however Im VERY careful where I park etc.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Agree with the above, having a Miata, I'm extra careful of how and where I park. If I park someplace and it just does't feel right, I don't hesitate to pull out and park in another location.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i bought a brand new mr2 in 1991 and sold it april 2004 ( cause my elise was going to be here in may @#$%^@^&*) and i was never hit by anyone. and cant say that i ever remember thinking there was a problem being seen by other drivers

·
Registered
179 Posts
Funny you should ask. Last week an F250 pickup backed into my Miata while stopped at a light (disabled car ahead of him). He swears he didn't see me and strongly suggested that I share half the blame for driving such a small car. Police though otherwise.

Thankfully the damage was minimal - his trailer hitch merely punctured my front fascia.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
About a month ago I had some girl in a RAV4 back into my Cougar (not exactly a small car). The horn got her attention, but she didn't stop until after she hit me. She swore she never saw my car which may be possible since it's a black car and this happened at night and my headlights are lower than her bumper.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,645 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Have you heard (personally or via internet forums) of many instances where someone backs into either the front or back of an Miata, MR2, or other very low-small car (lower Civics/Acuras)?
I've personally had it happen to my Miata... by my wife in our own drive way. I don't blame the Miata. My wife ain't the greatest driver...:(

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Several years ago, a U-haul truck backed out of a parking space and hit the rear of my Miata parked in a row of parking stalls across from it. I don't think the size of the car had anything to do with this; the driver simply misjudged the distance and hit my car, but would have hit whatever happened to be parked there. Damaged the rear body piece and took out a taillight.

I've been hit twice when stopped at red lights and the other driver failed to stop in time. Once, a guy thought he was being clever by bearing down fast on me and stopping just behind me, but he misjudged and gave me a light tap (his girlfriend wasn't amused and gave him a couple of jabs). Once in Las Vegas, a half-drunk guy hit me a bit harder, cracking the rear body piece around the license plate.

I have a small dent in the passenger-side door from someone who opened their car door onto mine.

Once I was pulling into the driveway of a repair shop (to fix the damage caused by the U-haul) and the woman in the car in front of me backed up and hit my front end. Their was quite a dip from the street into the parking lot of the repair shop, so I believe that as the woman was backing up the slope, her mirror couldn't pick up my car; I honked, but too late to stop her.

·
Registered
81 Posts
12+ years in an MR2 and no problems. Drove it last night to dinner with the T-top open at the request of my wife. I guess she wanted to relive those days before three children and going out to dinner was a regular event rather than a very rare treat.

Mick- Disturbing Avatar

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. I just want to make sure there weren't frequent posts on Miata and MR2 boards, or other experiences about being hit because the person backing up couldn't see their car.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Miata owner

Nope had mine since 1992 but, I too am careful where I park and how I drive.

Best driving class I took was one for motorbikes. That teaches you some real defensive driving. I know a lot of idiots also are crazy on motorbikes but - that is merely Darwinism in action.

Nick

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Oooo Ooo!! pick me! pick me!

I was stopped in a parking lot (in my slightly lowered MR2) waiting for the guy in front of me to wait for someone to pull out of a parking space when a guy in a 300Z directly to my right backed out & right into me. His rear window was pretty high and my car was pretty low... that coupled with the fact that I was directly behind him and not off to the side (not over the shoulder), he never saw me.

It actually totalled my car. I had to buy it back from the insurance company (for $400) and buy a $3 hammer to fix it.

Other than that, no real problems that I think were related to the car being small. That said, I have a hightened sense of awareness when I'm in the small car as opposed to anything larger - I find myself checking people's mirrors to see if they can see me & not driving in other people's blind spots.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Twenty five years or so ago, a guy backed into my Elan in the parking lot at work. He left a note.

The damage was limited to the tail light assembly, so I found out the price ($75 at the time). He was happy to pay in cash. You see, in the previous two weeks, his wife has side swiped an aluminum bodied Rolls, and one of them had T-Boned a new Jag. My tail light was cheap...

As for people not seeing the small car...

I haven't been hit in my Miata, but I've had many close calls - on the road and in parking lots. Air Horns are wonderful divices...:wave:

One of the main reasons for ordering Chrome Orange was to be seen...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
BrianK said:
I was stopped in a parking lot (in my slightly lowered MR2) waiting for the guy in front of me to wait for someone to pull out of a parking space when a guy in a 300Z directly to my right backed out & right into me. His rear window was pretty high and my car was pretty low... that coupled with the fact that I was directly behind him and not off to the side (not over the shoulder), he never saw me..
Something very similar happened to me at the end of my junior year in HS. I was driving a '91 Tempo GL 4Dr (my first car) and a woman of about 50 or so backed her Sable out of an angled parking spot and right into my passenger side back door while I sat helpless at a light with a car ahead and behind. The best part is that I can still remember my friend in the passenger's seat yelling at her and beating on her trunk before she hit me.
I had someplace to go, so I just took down her info and went along my way calling the police that evening or the next day (I don't remember). I do remember that they were very angry that I'd left the scene of an accident and that they didn't get to ticket this woman (she was from out of state).

~Paul

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,645 Posts
Cale said:
Mick- Disturbing Avatar
Thanks.

It's taken from an album cover. Something about it is cool to me. I guess because it's a true expression of pure emotion.

·
Registered
157 Posts
DOES SIZE REALLY MATTER?

I was waiting in a parking lot sandwiched between two cars, in a 32 foot motorhome. A truck to the side slowly (I mean about 1mph) was backing toward the passager door. Laid on the huge horn to no avail. Back right in. Can't see a motorhome in any of the mirrors? There's just alot of stupid drivers out there.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a MINI and have had the same problem in traffic that zOOM mentioned.

With respect to street/parallel parking. I do not consider the MINI a small car from the prospective of what one sees when looking at a MINI in the rear view mirror and have not had much trouble.
In college I had a 62 Healey 3000 (BT7). I was in the local club an saw a bunch of cars at meets and the like. I drove the car daily. There are a bunch of 3000's with bent front bumper mountss from people backing into them. Mine was one. You have to look close to see it as the over riders tend to just bend the mounts - the bumper looks streight but just not right.

I thought the idea of posting a bike flag in some kind of sand weight was a good idea (read it on this board I think). In any case I would be very careful about parking.
John

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DaCrema said:
I thought the idea of posting a bike flag in some kind of sand weight was a good idea (read it on this board I think). In any case I would be very careful about parking.
John
I was also thinking of some parking blocks (wood, concrete, etc.) that I would put between the Elise and any other car that may back up into me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts