The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave:

Hi all, been a fan of the site for a while! This was the most active Lotus community I could find...I may be an internet moron missing a big UK base, otherwise the Americans have put us to shame! :shrug:

I've loved reading about the Americans' culture in the stories on comments received etc on the Elise!

I appreciate most here will be American but my question was to Europeans (and any other regions with the S2 111s): Other than the 111s stickers above the indicators, are there any other sure-fire ways of distinguising the 111s from the other models?

I see Elises advertised as 111s' but i suspect in some cases they are basic models with the rear diffusers / 111s wheels added as options.... is this possible!?

Thanks!

·
Registered
891 Posts
111s is a Rover 1.8 kseries vvc engine

Except sticker you can recognise it from 8 spoke spider alloys (instead 6 spoke base model) and rear 3 element diffuser (instead base model diffuser)

Off course there is and a difference that you can easily see at engine bay on Intake manifold ...

bigger alloy for 111s S2 elise , plastic smaller for basic S2 elise .

off course an basic`s elise owner can change wheels and diffuser also to put and a sticker so it will be a trouble to recognise it from exterior ...

an other method is from interior ...

All 111s S2 has air vents on both fascia and dash panels but basic models elise s2 has air vents only on dash side on top ...

good luck on your research

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got the S2 and not the 111s. The difference is that the 111s used a Rover engine whereas the S2 uses the Toyota VVTi engine. I think there's some minor additions to it. The S2 brakes are servo assisted.
Also the rims came standard at 225/45/17 for the back and 175/55/16 for the front.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
:wave:

Hi all, been a fan of the site for a while! This was the most active Lotus community I could find...I may be an internet moron missing a big UK base, otherwise the Americans have put us to shame! :shrug:
not a moron - just slightly has an old name SELOC Forums

I've loved reading about the Americans' culture in the stories on comments received etc on the Elise!
Welcome! It is a fun spot for non Americans too :wave:

I appreciate most here will be American but my question was to Europeans (and any other regions with the S2 111s): Other than the 111s stickers above the indicators, are there any other sure-fire ways of distinguising the 111s from the other models?

I see Elises advertised as 111s' but i suspect in some cases they are basic models with the rear diffusers / 111s wheels added as options.... is this possible!?

Thanks!
The key difference between the base an 111 models is the VVC engine - there are two ways to identify it; firstly, as BlackTan says, have a look at the engine - the VVC engine has a cast alloy inlet manifold and the VVC actuator visible whereas the standard engine has a plastic (black) inlet manifold. The second check is the VIN number - the 4th character is "J" so full VIN SCCJA111??H?7???? (the base rover engine is character "G"). There is also a model 111 (rather than 111S) which is the base trim level (incl base wheels) with the VVC engine - the 111S has driving lights, eight spoke wheels, alcantara trim on top of the 111 (which sold in such small numbers you are unlikely to actually see one!!!)

PS: The reason so many cars are advertised as being a 111S is that it is the highest value car in the series and people don't usually know the difference - also all Elises are technicall Lotus model 111!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've got the S2 and not the 111s. The difference is that the 111s used a Rover engine whereas the S2 uses the Toyota VVTi engine. I think there's some minor additions to it. The S2 brakes are servo assisted.
Also the rims came standard at 225/45/17 for the back and 175/55/16 for the front.
S2 called ALL Elises of 2nd series (Base model , 111s , 111r , Federal , R , S )

2001 +

S1 called the 1st series elises that producted since 1996 to 2000

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!! I've done a fair bit of looking at reviews etc and missed these subtleties, 'props' on the knowledge!

Aedo- you're right about the 111 being rare, there are only about 3 on sale in the UK at the moment! And this is supposed to be the Elise's home market!

Now on to some cash saving to get that first pin in England on the Lotus owners' Google map!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Thanks everyone!! I've done a fair bit of looking at reviews etc and missed these subtleties, 'props' on the knowledge!

Aedo- you're right about the 111 being rare, there are only about 3 on sale in the UK at the moment! And this is supposed to be the Elise's home market!

Now on to some cash saving to get that first pin in England on the Lotus owners' Google map!
Make sure you buy the S2 with the toyo motor buddy.......plenty of S2's
with the rover engine for sale...;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used to have a S2 111S and loved it. The VVC engine provides torque across the power band all the way to the rev-limiter. The regular Rover engine loses umpf when you get close to the rev-limiter.
The 111S engine provides more power than the standard old Rover engine, but less than the new Toyota engines.
Apparently the 111S engines are less susceptible to the infamous head gasket failures that are plagueing the Rover engines.
If your budget allows I would probably go for a newer Yota engined car. Otherwise the 111S is a good option. Good luck in finding your new car!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts